• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2011 VGC Team-The Mafia

Pokemafia

2011 VGC Team-The Mafia

This team is for next years VGC (yeah this year competitor number limit prevented me from goin) so I decided to start preparing as early as possilbe, anyways, on with the team:

At a Glance
    kyogre.png
    ludicolo-m.png
    metagross.png
    dragonite.png
    giratina.png
    garchomp-m.png

In more detail (not in order, Stratergies/team line-ups posted afterwards with detail on the pokes as it goes.):

kyogre.png
    kyogre.png

Kyogre @Choice Scarf
    Modest Nature
    4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

-Water Spout
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunder
    -Hydro Pump

ludicolo-m.png
    ludicolo-m.png

Ludicolo @Lum Berry
    Modest Nature
    Swift Swim

-Fake Out
    -Grass Knot
    -Ice Beam
    -Hydro Pump

metagross.png
    metagross.png

Metagross @Occa Berry
    Adamant Nature
    Clear Body
    248 HP / 232 Atk / 28 Spe

-Stealth Rock
    -Meteor Mash
    -Bullet Punch
    -Explosion

dragonite.png
    dragonite.png

Dragonite @Life Orb
    Rash Nature
    Inner Focus
    196 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 60 Spe

-Draco Meteor
    -Super Power
    -Fire Blast
    -Extreemespeed

giratina.png
    giratina.png

Giratina@ Choice Scarf
    Hasty Nature
    Pressure
    252 Atk / 4 Sp Att / 252 Spe

- Shadow Force
    - Dragon Claw
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Safeguard / Will-o-wisp

garchomp-f.png
    garchomp-m.png

Garchomp@ Choice Scarf
    Jolly Nature
    Sand Veil
    4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

- Outrage- Want to change but not sure what I should to
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw
    - Stone Edge

Now you've seen the team, I'll go over the 3 stratergies I like to use.

Stratergy 1:

Sent out 1st:
    metagross.png
    @
    dragonite.png

The aim here is for Metagross to set up Stealth rock immediatly, making it easier
    for later game sweepers, once it's set up use Meteor Mash to inflict damage before
    finishing off with bullet punch. With Dragonite, use either Superpower/ Draco meteor (as this is mixed It doesn't
    matter of my Atk goes down from Draco Metoer) before finishing off with extreemespeed.
    I'll use fireblast to deal with Skarmory/ Metagross.
    Now the foe has sent out their last 2 Pokes, both of mine are pretty hurt now, So Dragonite uses extreemespeed
    to cripple one of the foes, then Metagross explodes, damaging both foes, and resulting in both of mine fainting.

Notes: The foe may be expecting a lead Dragonite aswell, this set will susrprise them.

Send out:
    kyogre.png
    @
    ludicolo.png
    or
    garchomp.png

Now the foe has been crippled by extreemespped and explosion, I'll send out Kyogre with either Ludicolo or Garchomp.
    Kyogre will finish off both of them with Water Spout, if one remains Garchomp may go in for a finisher with its high attack,
    or I'll use Ludicolo to abuse the rain to get hight speed and hit hard home woth Hydropump.

Stratergy 2:

kyogre.png
    @
    ludicolo.png

This duo makes good use of the rain, Kyogre spams water spout while
    Ludicolo makes use of the speed boost and fakes out any threats tryiong to cause serious damage or set up calm mind,
    dragon dance etc. It also hurts with hydropump and can hurt the big heavy water-type lead Swampert
    with grass knot, grass know can also be used to damage any lead Kyogres.

Send out:

garchomp.png
    @
    dragonite.png

By now the foe has fainted or I have (or both) from an exchange of moves.
    To finish the foe off I'll send out the quick and effective hit man duo,
    Garchomp, and for boosted fire-power (not litrely) MixNite.
    Garchomp finishes off what the first duo started, while MixNite breaks down any late game walls the foe might throw at me.

Stratergies 3&4:

These are the same as stratergies 1&2, except for I replace Ludicolo
    and Garchomp (because I will have used him twice and the foe will know what to expect) with Choice scarf, revenge killing Giratina that is sure to finish off any remaininf foe's pokemon

Well thankyou VERY much for reading my first RMT, as I said in the
    introduction, I'm new to this, so don't go harsh on me, that doesn't
    mean don't tell me how to improve, I'd like to keep the same pokes
    if possible, movesets, natures, ev spreads etc. I am willing to change though,
    but if it really comes to it, I can change a poke.

Pokes that aren't threats because they're
    banned in the vgc banned list:

151 - Mew
    251 - Celebi
    385 - Jirachi
    386 - Deoxys
    489 - Phione
    490 - Manaphy
    491 - Darkrai
    492 - Shaymin
    493 - Arceus

To really see who is better for 2v2 battles, I've posted the same thing
    on PC, and on Smogon.

Last edited:

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • We can't rate this for vgc '11 because they might use gen 5 pokemon and we dont know any of them yet as far as movepools and stats go.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Cool formatting BUT....

I am determined to get a superb team for next year's VGC.

What makes you so sure next year's VGC won't be for Black/White? And what makes you so sure it won't be for triple battles instead of double battles?

No ev's as it is caught at lvl 50, and being leveled down, evs are pointless

Totally NOT true. Pokemon keeps all their EVs no matter what level they are at. A Level 100 Pokemon will have the same EVs even when they're at Level 50.

Anyways, onto the team:

SubSeed Ludicolo will NOT work in VGC. Substitute is bad in 2 vs. 2 because you can and will be double targeted, where the first attack breaks the sub and the second attack KOs Ludicolo.

Also, why on earth are you using Rain Dance when you have Kyogre on your team? Wouldn't it make more sense to...you know...LEAD WITH KYOGRE instead of Zapdos? That way, you won't have to waste a turn using Rain Dance and would have the rain automatically.

For Zapdos, why would you give it Damp Rock? Damp Rock only works if the HOLDER uses Rain Dance, not your ally. Furthermore, Charge is terrible and makes no sense to have it. You could just use Thunder twice and do the same amount of damage. The nature is for Ludicolo and Zapdos are bad. VGCs are ultra offensive. There's no point in giving sweepers defense boosting natures because in the end, it won't have much of an effect.

What you should do is scrap Ludicolo's set and give it

Ludicolo @Lum Berry
    Modest Nature
    Swift Swim

-Fake Out
    -Grass Knot
    -Ice Beam
    -Hydro Pump

Your partner should be the following

Kyogre @Choice Scarf
    Modest Nature

-Water Spout
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunder
    -Hydro Pump

On Palkia, Outrage is terrible because it targets a random opponent instead of allowing you to select which opponent to hit.

Use the following instead

Palkia @Haban Berry
    Timid Nature

-Spacial Rend
    -Thunder
    -Surf
    -Protect

It's probably better that you didn't enter this year's VGC because you wouldn't have won anyways. I'm not saying that to be mean, I'm saying it because it's the truth. You seem to have no knowledge of 2 vs 2 battling, which is totally different than 1 vs. 1 battling. DO NOT USE SMOGON FOR 2vs2 MOVESETS BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE ANY!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pokemafia

Thank you for all your advice; Let's just say that the vgc next year IS 2v2 ok? If it is made 3v3 later I will change this.

No ev's as it is caught at lvl 50, and being leveled down, evs are pointless
    Totally NOT true. Pokemon keeps all their EVs no matter what level they are at. A Level 100 Pokemon will have the same EVs even when they're at Level 50.

I didn't know that, so , I have a poke caught at level 60, I ev train it, ad at level 61 I get lots of evs, will these evs, even though I earned them past level 50, increase my level 50 stats when I battle?

Also, I didn't know about damp rock..

To clarify:
    Use the Swift swimmer ludicolo
    An offensive Zapdos
    Switch choice specs for scarf and replace surf with hydro pump on Kyogre
    Modify Palkia

It's probably better that you didn't enter this year's VGC because you wouldn't have won anyways. I'm not saying that to be mean, I'm saying it because it's the truth. You seem to have no knowledge of 2 vs 2 battling, which is totally different than 1 vs. 1 battling. DO NOT USE SMOGON FOR 2vs2 MOVESETS BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE ANY!

his is the best bit of advice I've had of PC,ty aragorn bird.
    I wanted to go to this year's vgc to test out the team, good job I didn't go;)
    If smogon is for competitive battling you'd think they'd have 2v2 strategies for the vgc,
    Also, I have no knowledge of 2v2 battling you're right, and finally, do you know a site that is for 2v2 battling?

I added a mixmamo mamoswine sweeper instead of zapdos

Last edited:

Pokemafia

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

Your team is even worse now that you removed Zapdos. I mean, how does Mamoswine benefit from the Rain? Sure it isn't weak to Fire anymore, but that's it. Plus, using Earthquake will hurt your team mates as well as your opponents.

I've told you this before: Don't copy sets from Smogon if you're battling on 2vs2

Skarmbliss is a smaller site but it focuses on double battles, especially VGC.

Pokemafia

Thanks, I'm going to keep mamo in the team, I just don't send him out when I'm using the rain set up, I'll send him out with another poke, which I've decided is lead metagross.

Bump, big team update, please read all to understand how my team functions before rating it.

Last edited by a moderator:

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

Do I really have have to spell it out for you?

D-O N-O-T U-S-E S-I-N-G-L-E B-A-T-T-L-E S-T-R-A-T-E-G-I-E-S I-N D-O-U-B-L-E B-A-T-T-L-E-S!

Don't use ANY movesets from Smogon if you're playing 2vs2. Smogon's movesets are all for 1vs1 battles. They will NOT work in 2 vs 2!

First of all, setting up Stealth Rock or any sort of entry hazard is useless in 2 vs 2. People will rarely ever switch Pokemon because switching can put you more at a disadvantage than an advantage. Plus, wasting a turn to set up Stealth Rock just gives your opponents a free turn to set up.

Secondly, make better use of double-hitting moves, moves that hit both opponents i.e. Heat Wave instead of Flamethrower/Fire Blast and Rock Slide instead of Stone Edge.
    Priority moves are also important, but you already have some of them.

Third, make better use of Protect. Protect is arguably one of the most valuable moves in double battles and a well timed Protect can turn a potential loss into a win.

Fixed three of your movesets so that they are more geared towards Double Battles:

Metagross @Occa Berry
    Adamant Nature
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def

-Meteor Mash
    -Bullet Punch
    -Explosion
    -Earthquake

Dragonite @Lum Berry/Yache Berry
    Naughty/Naive Nature
    252 Atk / 6 SAtk / 252 Spd

-Dragon Claw
    -Heat Wave
    -Protect
    -Extremespeed

Garchomp @Yache Berry/Focus Sash
    Jolly Nature
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

-Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Protect
    -Rock Slide

Also it's STRATEGIES, NOT STRATERGIES.

I posted the same thing in your thread on Smogon btw.

Pokemafia

You have a Smogon account? Kool and lots of thanks.
    Replied on Smogon.

Last edited:
    Back