• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A competitive team?

xer

The Last Warrior
Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2011
    Phew, aftr 2 weeks of tranin, this is what I come up with-

1.Heracross-salac berry
    Adamant(252- sp & att)

Megahorn
    Stone edge
    Endure
    Reversal

2.Snorlax-Lum berry
    adamant(252-att & sp def)

Curse
    Rest
    Return
    Earthquake

3.Ninjask-Focus sash
    Impish(252- att & sp)

Swords dance
    Substitute
    Baton pass
    Aerial ace

4. Tyranitar-(leftovers)
    Quirky(252-att & sp att)

Crunch
    Stone edge
    Earthquake
    Aerial ace

5.Typhlosion-(Petalya berry)
    Modest(252- sp att & sp)

Sunny day
    Fire blast
    Endure
    Solarbeam

6.Ludicolo-(damp rock)
    Modest(252- def & sp def)

Rain dance
    Surf
    Ice beam
    Energy ball

The strategy's pretty simple-
    1.Heracross & snorlax Do as much damg as pssible.Actually snorlax is more like
    a wall, dealin out KOs
    2.Ninjask b. passes 2 T-Tar( Ninjsk also serves as a revenge killer)
    3. The last 2 r The Sp sweepers

I'll bet most of u are wondering 1 thing-
    WHERE THE HELL IS STEALTH ROCK????

well, the ans is-
    I couldn't find any space to put it in.
    Care to advice?

Last edited:
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    To be honest, only Lucario can pull off the Reversal strategy due to his sandstorm immunity. With Tyranitar in the team you might have switch out Heracross sometimes and bring it back in, then Reversal and Endure is dead weight. Other than using Lucario, you will need to lure enemy Tyranitar, common priority users, and usually Ghost-types and KO them (you still need to lure the latter two with Lucario), set up Sunny Day or Rain Dance, and then try to set up (it's gimmicky). And it loses to majority of the common leads.

Ninjask is pretty poor and is easily beaten with Taunt, Roar / Whirlwind, or priority (depends), most teams have at least one of those. Gliscor is really the one Pokemon that can perform a Baton Pass effectively, since it can Taunt in addition to being bulky and not so vulnerable to Stealth Rock (and sandstorm). Even then, it's best used with dual screens (Reflect and Light Screen) so it isn't 2HKOed by most Water attacks or OHKOed by Ice moves (i.e. standard Vaporeon's Surf only manages 32.2% - 37.9%).

Adamant or Jolly nature should used instead of Quirky for Tyranitar, Quirky doesn't do anything while Adamant boosts your Attack and Jolly raises your Speed. I suggest Jolly if you usually only pass one Speed boost so you outrun Starmie, Gengar, Raikou, etc. You aren't using your Special Attack so I see no reason in using SpA EVs, they should be moved to Speed. Timid would probably be best for Typhlosion in my opinion, speed tying with Flygon, Jirachi, and other base 100's is pretty important. Ludicolo doesn't really need EVs in its defenses, it's already bulky currently and it does appear to be an all out attacker after all. The standard 60 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Speed should do fine.

I don't really see this team working well due to the fact that it's very Baton Pass and weather reliant. What if something forces Ludicolo to switch out when rain is up (and is pretty easily done due to lack of SpA investment), then you switch to Typhlosion so you now need to set up Sunny Day for it? The team just has too much set up I think, and could use some immediate power without resorting to something gimmicky like Endure.

I might come back to suggest some more things, etc.

Last edited:

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Okay, I know you did a lot of training, but your team isn't really that good. You need to make a bunch of changes to your team and retrain some Pokemon.

You also need to list your Pokemon's ability if the Pokemon has more than 2, because some abilities are better than others.

HERACROSS

The Reversal set is not a good moveset for Heracross. Sure, Heracross will get a massively powerful 200 power Fighting move when it's at one HP. But look at what you have on your team - a Tyranitar! With Sandstorm activated, Heracross will faint right after it Endures a hit.

Sure you have other Pokemon to change the weather. But what if they faint and Sandstorm is still up? And even if they do change the weather, what if your opponent packs a Tyranitar, Hippowdon, or Abomasnow to change the weather to their advantage? Weather is ONE of the reasons Reversal/Flail sets don't work.

Another reason is Priority. That means moves that always go first. Moves like Quick Attack, Fake Out, Bullet Punch, and Mach Punch are on just about every team and will also make your set useless.

So if Reversal isn't a good choice, what can you do? Well, Heracross happens to be a great sweeper with Choice Band giving it extra power. You can also use Choice Scarf to give it a boost in Speed and beat faster opponents.

Heracross @Choice Band OR Choice Scarf
    Adamant/Jolly Nature
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Guts Ability

-Megahorn
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge
    -Pursuit

WEATHER

Okay, the next thing I want to talk to you about is Weather. Only use ONE weather effect on your team. Do not use any more than one. If you use multiple weather effects, it will mess up your team members. For instance, your Typhlosion's Sunny Day is bad for Ludicolo while Ludicolo's Rain Dance is bad for Typhlosion.

Also when you use a weather effect, it should benefit at least one other member of your team. This is especially important if you use Rain Dance or Sunny Day since their effects are more major than Sandstorm or Hail. Weather should NOT be used to benefit only one Pokemon. Since weather affects everyone, you need to maximize its benefits to your team.

So what does this mean?

Don't use Typhlosion and don't use Ludicolo. They're not bad Pokemon, but they require specific support in order to work well on a team.

Find a different Special Sweeper and find something that can use Stealth Rock.

SPECIAL SWEEPER

A lot of Pokemon can work in this spot, but what you really need is something that resists Water to take the place of Ludicolo. Starmie works great as a special sweeper since it's so fast and learns some great moves.

Starmie @Life Orb
    4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    Natural Cure

-Surf
    -Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam
    -Recover

STEALTH ROCKER

You have 2 Pokemon weak to Fighting, so a Fighting resist would be very useful. Gliscor is a great counter to Fighting types and can also use Stealth Rock. It also benefits from Tyranitar's Sandstorm.

Gliscor @Leftovers
    Jolly Nature
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Sand Veil Ability

-Earthquake
    -Taunt
    -Stealth Rock
    -U-Turn/Roost

Use Gliscor as your lead Pokemon. Use Stealth Rock when you can and use Taunt to stop slower opponents from setting up their own Stealth Rock.

TYRANITAR

There is a problem with your Tyranitar's Nature.

Never ever use a Pokemon with a Neutral Nature (a Nature that doesn't boost any stat). This means you should avoid Hardy, Bashful, Serious, and Quirky natures. Every Pokemon in the game needs a Nature that boosts one of their important stats while lowering their least important stat.

Your Tyranitar has no Special Attacks, so an Adamant or Jolly nature would work fine.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

xer

The Last Warrior
    Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2011
    Thanx alot for the advice.This is what I plan 2 do-

1.Gliscor @Leftovers
    Jolly Nature
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Sand Veil Ability

-Earthquake
    -Taunt
    -Stealth Rock
    -U-Turn

2.Heracross @Choice Band
    Jolly Nature
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Swarm

-Megahorn
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake

3.Starmie @Life Orb
    4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    Natural Cure

-Surf
    -Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam
    -Recover

4.Snorlax @lum berry
    4hp/ 252 att&sp def
    Adamant
    Immunity

-Curse
    -Return
    -Earthquake
    -Rest

5.Heatran @life orb
    252 att& sp att
    Jolly

-Earthquake
    -Fire blast
    -Protect
    -Stone edge

6.Tyranitar @choice scarf
    252 sp&att
    Adamant

Aerial ace
    Earthquake
    Stone edge
    Crunch

Hope this one is better :)
    It depends a bit too much on starmie &snorlax, though

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Looks much better, but still needs some changes.

HERACROSS

If you are battling in OU, you should never teach Earthquake to your Fighting-types. The only type in the game that resists Fighting and is weak to Ground is Poison. However, Poison-types are rarely used in OU. The only OU Poisons are Gengar, Roserade, and Tentacruel. Gengar is immune to Ground, Roserade isn't weak to it, and Tentacruel is rarely used.
    For everything else in the game, a STAB Fighting attack will do more damage than Earthquake.

Use the moveset I gave you, which has Pursuit.
    Also use a Guts ability because it allows you to absorb status moves to power up your Attack.

HEATRAN

Heatran should NEVER have physical attacks besides Explosion. Even though its Attack stat isn't bad, its Special Attack is way better so it should only use Special Attacks.

Replace Earthquake with Earth Power and Stone Edge with Dragon Pulse. Protect can be changed to Taunt. Change the Nature to Timid.

TYRANITAR

Its nature should be Jolly. It's not fast enough with Adamant since it won't be able to outspeed Infernape or Starmie, even with a Choice Scarf.

Aerial Ace should be changed to Pursuit. Most fighting types won't be OHKOed by Aerial Ace.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Back