• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shadow Pokemon Vs Mega Pokemon

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Well if I was going to join any of the bad guy organizations it would definitely be Cipher. They were arguably the most successful and connected organization in any of the games. They corrupted cities, politicians and Pokemon what more do you want?
I want them to not lose to kids that look younger than ten years old. :V
BTW IT WAS TEAM SNAGEM THAT FIRST CREATED SHADOW POKEMON NOT THE CIPHER ORGANIZATION.
...no, I'm pretty sure they just stole them, and Cipher did all of the Shadow-making.

As for the topic on hand... well, I think Megas do get a better boost (100 to base stats in total? Sometimes a bonus ability and typing change to benefit from as well?) than what Shadow Pokemon get (new moves that aren't necessarily better than what they would normally learn, mind, super effective on non-Shadow Pokemon). But in terms of concept, I prefer the Shadow one. Mega seems rather region-specific at the moment, but Shadow Pokemon introduces an interesting bunch of concepts. Pokemon battle with friendship, but go the other way and the result can be terrifying. Mega Pokemon require a stone or two, and the effects only last the battle. Shadow Pokemon? They remain shadow, until you work hard enough to get on their good side. And even then, you need the help of Celebi/Relix Stone, or a whole bunch of science (Purification Chamber) to totally reverse the effects. And Lugia was not far off from being unpurifiable to boot. And Mega Pokemon have control over their power - Shadow Pokemon may just as easily turn on trainers.

In terms of concept, I feel Shadow Pokes are more interesting to me. And they're probably the ones I'd like to face less than Mega Pokemon if I was an actual Pokemon trainer. Thankfully I'm not. =p

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
252+ SpA Shadow Moltres Shadow Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 176-208 (50 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Moltres: 292-343 (90.6 - 106.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Does this take into consideration that Return hits twice, once at full power and then again with half power due to Parental Bond? Kinda looks as if it just calculates it once unless the 292-343 is the total of both hits connecting. If the calculator didn't and represents it as 292 as a base hit then there is still a 146 damage hit hitting right after.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Does this take into consideration that Return hits twice, once at full power and then again with half power due to Parental Bond? Kinda looks as if it just calculates it once unless the 292-343 is the total of both hits connecting. If the calculator didn't and represents it as 292 as a base hit then there is still a 146 damage hit hitting right after.
I believe it does. I'm actually sorta new to the damage calculator, but I assume the abilities factor in.

Kang @any other ability:
252+ Atk Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Moltres: 195-229 (60.5 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I also assume OHKO means for both hits to take out the Moltres, so 292-343 is the total of both hits connecting.

The Mighty Kamina

Paragon of Masculinity
Years
I believe it does. I'm actually sorta new to the damage calculator, but I assume the abilities factor in.

Kang @any other ability:
252+ Atk Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Moltres: 195-229 (60.5 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I also assume OHKO means for both hits to take out the Moltres, so 292-343 is the total of both hits connecting.

Why is it coming down to Mega-Khan versus Moltres? I think the dual, 780 BST Mega-Mewtwos are a much more pressing threat for the Shadow Pokemon.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Why is it coming down to Mega-Khan versus Moltres? I think the dual, 780 BST Mega-Mewtwos are a much more pressing threat for the Shadow Pokemon.
But taking the "best" Megas and pitting them against one that's arguable not the best Shadow wouldn't be proving much. Perhaps Mewtwo against XD001, but I was just using M-Kang as someone that is on a somewhat level playing field with Moltres.

Back