• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fear the Spear [OU RMT]

Years
  • Florida+State+Logo.jpg

Fear The Spear

Introduction

Hey guys, Karpman here with another RMT for you all to critique. Now as of late, I've been playing nothing but Stall teams and while it was fun, I wanted to get back into using other playstyles. I tried to run offense, but I couldn't make a half decent offensive team, no matter how many guides on offensive synergy I read, but I was, however, finally able to make a balanced team, which is the subject of this RMT and is also Florida State-Themed.

Team Building

465.png

Well I started with Tangrowth, who would serve as the main absorber of Physical Attacks, even though it's commonly seen on stall teams, it has nice offensive power even with no investment and can prove useful with its great survivability and nearly unrivaled Physical Bulk.

465.png
    130.png

Next we went with Gyarados, who has worked great on past stall teams with Tangrowth, but as a Restalker, this time, however, Gyarados is a bulky Dragon Dancer.

465.png
    130.png
    248.png

Next I added Specially Defensive Tyranitar since my previous two Pokemon weren't too skilled at taking Special Attacks and also to function as a layer of Stealth Rock and Weather Control. Ho ho ho.

465.png
    130.png
    248.png
    639.png

Next I added Choice Band Terrakion for some real Physical STRONGTH.

465.png
    130.png
    248.png
    639.png
    385.png

Next I added Specially Defensive Jirachi for a bit more special bulk, Paralysis support and general Wishmaking to increase the team's survivability.

465.png
    130.png
    248.png
    639.png
    385.png
    251.png

Next I added Nasty Plot Celebi to cover up my weaks, absorb status and beat annoying Volt Switch and U-Turn cores.

465.png
    130.png
    248.png
    530.png
    385.png
    251.png

After that, I noticed Terrakion wasn't doing much and that a revenge killer would help the team loads. I switched out Terrakion for Excadrill as it does that and also provides Rapid Spin support.

A Closer Look

Tangrowth // Jenkins (M) @ Leftovers
    465.gif

Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 28 Atk / 176 Def / 52 SAtk
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Sleep Powder
    - Power Whip
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Earthquake

Ho ho ho, Tangrowth represents Shutdown Defensive End Brandon Jenkins, because hardly any threats are getting past him. Sleep Powder can buy me some time to defeat my opponent, while I dispatch them with Tangrowth's 3 Powerful attacks for coverage, all of which hit hard due to its base 100 Attack Stat and its base 110 Special Attack stat. Regenerator is a great ability and can keep Tangrowth alive for nearly the whole match.

Considering: Full defensive investment with Leech Seed over Earthquake and Giga Drain over Power Miss.

Excadrill // Thompson (M) @ Air Balloon
    530.gif

Trait: Sand Rush
    EVs: 20 HP / 236 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Rapid Spin

Much like Running Back Chris Thompson, Excadrill is a speed demon. Everyone knows Excadrill is an amazing Pokemon and revenge kills so proficiently that Scarfers are extremely rare, these days. Excadrill is the team's second set up sweeper and its main revenge killer, but also provides Rapid Spin support to help get Stealth Rock and Spikes off the field, which Gyarados, as well as Excadrill's other teammates appreciate quite a bit.

Considering: A Choice Band set, Shadow Claw to help with spinning [to beat Ghosts], Return over Rock Slide.

Gyarados // Reed (M) @ Leftovers
    130.gif

Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Waterfall
    - Bounce
    - Dragon Dance
    - Taunt

I almost started this paragraph with "Ho Ho Ho", but then I realized I already did that with Tangrowth. At any rate, Bulky DD Gyara is just a complete beast. Taunt is such an underrated move on this set because it shuts down anything that thinks it can end your sweep with Roar or Status. Bounce is also an underrated move and even while moves like Fly are rarely seen in the Metagame, Bounce provides great coverage alongside Waterfall and powerful Physical STAB. Finally, Wish can allow this thing to live forever, so my team isn't broken through by threats like Lucario and Infernape. Gyarados represents receiver Bert Reed as not only can it take a hit, after one Dragon Dance it can lead me to victory in an instant, and can also "Catch" Wishes passed to it better than any other team member, since Sandstorm negates its Leftovers and it doesn't have amazing Bulk like Tyranitar.

Considering: A Restalk set. Even though this isn't Stall and I have Wish, it still might be somewhat cute. Thoughts?

Jirachi // Reid @ Leftovers
    385.gif

Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Iron Head
    - Body Slam
    - Wish
    - Protect

Much likes Greg Reid can snatch away a pass, Jirachi can snatch away any chanceJirachi is such a great Pokemon, since it checks so many set up sweepers with Paralysis and Flinchax, no team is truly safe without a hard Jirachi counter. I'll admit I did choose Jirachi for the sheer fact that it wrecks Calm Mind sweepers, but its true contribution to the team's success lies in Wish. Jirachi is the only team member with true Recovery, so everything appreciates Wish, a ton. Body Slam is great for crippling sweepers and protect, for scouting and helping recovery.

Considering: Nothing

Tyranitar // Manuel (M) @ Chople Berry
    248.gif

Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SDef
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Stone Edge
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Blast
    - Pursuit

Tyranitar represents Seminoles QB EJ Manuel, as he gets this whole party started by setting up Sandstorm. Chople Berry allows Tyranitar to tank Focus Blasts and return the damage tenfold to Pokemon like Thundurus. Fire Blast is for roasting Nattorei and the many Scizor that switch in on me while Stealth Rock is to get an advantage by limiting the amount of times something can switch. Pursuit is great for trapping Pokemon while Stone Edge provides powerful STAB, all in all, Tyranitar is invaluable to this team.

Considering: Crunch somehwere on this set, to defeat wily Latias users like Elf.

Celebi // Pryor @ Leftovers
    251.gif

Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Nasty Plot
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Psychic

Well a Running back isn't getting anywhere without a Fullback to block for him, much like this team isn't getting anywhere until Celebi elminates major threats to it, such as Rotom-W/Scizor cores, Starmie and the like, er go, Celebi represents Fullback Lonnie Pryor. Nasty Plot Celebi is extremely powerful and threatening in 5th Gen and can beat a lot of threats with its Grass/Fire/Psychic coverage and also scout for Status moves. Celebi can also switch in on and dispatch Ferrothorn, one of the top threats in the metagame, which is great as if I get Ferro off the field, winning can become a whole lot easier

Considering: Recover somewhere on the set, a Support set.

Last edited:
    Back