• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen "So... are you a male or female?"

Years
  • I go with the girl as I am a girl. When I get Y though (I just have X right now) I might play as a boy, not sure. Just to see all the clothes and I think boys get the better clothes from what i've seen.

Years
  • I actually have both versions of the game. My Y game, which is my "main", is the old traditional "I'm a dude so I'm playing a dude" type deal. Normally, I don't see much a point in changing genders, but since X/Y has trainer customizing I thought it would be cool to try it. The X version is mostly so I could get the megastones my Y doesn't have, so I actually rarely play it.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    which character did you wind up selecting--female or male? Female.
    Why did you choose them, and what name did you give to them? I have multiple reasons for choosing the female protagonist! First and foremost, the females have more customization options. I didn't want to deprive myself from dress-up options. Second, females are underrepresented in most video games and female trainers in Pokemon are no exception. Third, I find myself able to project onto a female character more easily which creates more immersion.

I nicknamed her Vulture, the name came to me recently as I was designing a Mandibuzz to use on a future team. Strangely, I never noticed the appeal of Mandibuzz previously, but now I find it very interesting in appearance and usage on a team.
    If you were to restart, would you select this character, or would you go with the opposite?I would once more select the female.

Years
  • I picked the girl. I don't see a reason to pick the gender I'm not, after all the trainer in the game is supposed to be me :O My in game name is a nickname of my real name (though people IRL never call me that). I have no intentions to restart my game but I'd pick the girl again.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I was going to pick male at first, but thankfully, wound up choosing female. I'm very glad I did, because apparently, girl has access to more variety of clothes and accessories than the boy. :] As for name, I named her after myself—Ashley. Have Y right now, but if I were to get Pokémon X at some point, then I might choose boy for some change of pace.

Years
  • I usually always choose the female protagonists and name her Amy. Except when I get another game of that gen. Then I also choose female and name her Jyll. xD
    If AS and OR feature Brendan and May I might be intrigued to play as Brendan because he is super cute. But yet,... I likely choose the girl again because you can dress her up cuter and the hair is usually longer. x3

Years
  • On both of my playthroughs on Y, I was a female named Colette. On my first playthrough of X, I was a male named Micah, while on my second playthrough, I was a male named Alexander. No matter how many times I restart Y I'll always be female; likewise, I'll always be male on every playthrough on X. I like being able to play as both genders, which is why I went with both~

Years
  • The female character is definitely an improvement from generation five, but I still stuck with male. I liked how simplistic his design was. I named him after myself, Troy. I have thought about restarting the game as a female; and will probably do so upon completion of my first play though the game.

Years
  • I picked male, but wished I picked female once I discovered the limited customisation options for a male, namely hair style and colour and less clothing options.

Years
  • I've always picked the female character since I'm a girl, and have yet to pick the male one - although it might make re-playing through games a little more interesting. :)

Years
  • I'm surprised that so many choices seem to have been made based on character clothing options. I always pick female protagonists (I'm female) because I don't like playing as a male when I have a choice. I get ♥♥♥♥♥♥ when games don't have options to be female when the male protagonist is customisable, essentially meaning that his character isn't completely integral to the story.

Female protagonists are underrepresented in video games, but I don't buy that men play as women in video games because they're "pro-women". Sorry guys.

Back