• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sexism.......for clothing?

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    So yeah, this just happened to me. Girl called me out cause I wear a black leather jacket on a daily basis. Its clean cut, a tiny bit loose fitting, past the belt-line. She basically said that for a guy my age I shouldn't be wearing it, its for the older crowd(I'm 21, she's talking about mid 40s). But yet, from 18 years old, women have no issues with wearing leather jackets from cream to bright red colors, and no one says anything cause its always fashionable. Anyone else have weird stories like this?

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
  • I have the same problem. People have accused me and my friends of being gay because we wear speedos. Meanwhile, I see girls wearing thong bikinis (sometimes without the top too) getting praise for their revealing swimwear. They say nothing about gay guys wearing speedos, but when a straight guy wears one, it's a problem.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I have the same problem. People have accused me and my friends of being gay because we wear speedos. Meanwhile, I see girls wearing thong bikinis (sometimes without the top too) getting praise for their revealing swimwear. They say nothing about gay guys wearing speedos, but when a straight guy wears one, it's a problem.

I think you've honestly got a better case - there's a difference between saying "men's and women's fashion is different" like Stud Muffin said and judging a man's sexuality based on what he wears. Just goes to show that masculinity should be abolished as a concept because when we have it, we have people judging others for not matching up perfectly with the criteria.

As far as the OP, I think it's perfectly valid to say that women's fashion and men's fashion at various ages is different. Although I would disagree that leather jackets are something that fall into that category; they've been the young thing to wear for forever.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2016
    Women can wear anything they want.

Men can wear pants and shirts.

To me, that is super sexist and screams "where is the equality now, women?!". If I want to wear frilly pink socks with a cute wedge heels and a tight jacket, I should be able to do that. But no, black/white socks, sneakers and a shirt is what I can choose. It's stupid, honestly.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Yeah, there's a lot of double standards in clothing... girls can wear anything they want and no one cares, but guys have to dress as masculine as possible, or they're weird for some reason. I think people seem to view masculinity as superior to femininity, so it's okay for girls to be masculine.

About the leather jacket... that doesn't make sense in the first place. I guess older biker types wear it, but it's also common in high school/college age guys.

Last edited:

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • I haven't really heard any avant garde dress codes here so idk why either Leather Jacket Chap or Speedos Chap are getting a hard time. BE PROUD OF WHAT YOU WEAR.

I probably dress like someone middle aged at times. Or worse, Noel Edmonds. Nobody has given me a hard time over it though... yet. I did notice in my job in the beauty section in a department store last year (ironic that I had that role, though I was stocking) that the woman working on the bathroom products (etc.) section would always comment on people if they wore something even slightly different to the norm. I'm sure there's judgemental guys like that as well, though.

Years
  • What, leather jackets aren't in for young adults????

Motorcycle and bomber leather jackets are attractive regardless of gender.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I just say people should wear whatever they want and not care, but sadly we live in such a world where people judge you for wearing or doing something that doesn't fit your gender's role..... A leather jacket is honestly both a male and a female thing and anyone at any age should be able to wear it.

Years
  • Obviously that girl doesn't know what she's talking about because anyone can wear a good leather jacket, regardless of age or what other criteria you're using. But double standards are rampant, almost everywhere you go, but especially when it comes to clothes and fashion.

Years
  • I'm finding it extremely difficult to find clothes that I want to wear. And I'm not particularly difficult to dress. I'm fine wearing jeans and a shirt but I don't understand this whole redundant chest pocket thing. They're not useful and they don't work for guys without excessively inflated torsos.
    And then some of them have like hawaiian shirt style material used for only that pocket and sleeves, disgusting.

These are the only shirts I can find that don't cost over $50.
    Don't get me started on jumpers man, they're a necessity and yet nobody sells the styles I like wearing. Like anywhere, not even online stores.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • i get this a lot. i really dont care whether its boy clothing or girl clothing. as long as i like it, it fits me, and feels comfy, i'll wear it - same goes for others, too. wear what you want, idc. me and my girl friends often wear each others clothes b/cos why not (i dont wear skirts/dresses but i wear everything else)

but yeah, yesterday when i as at the club i was wearing leather tights (which I wear b/cos I hate jeans, and when you go out you can't wear shorts, so I wear tights, which I actually love so yolo), and I got hit on by 4 guys - 3 of them thought I was a girl... I mean yes I am a very feminine male but I don't have boobs at all so...??

then as I was down the street walking to my car with my friend, this guy was like to us "going out ladies" and I was just like "no we're leaving" and then my friend was like 'umm thats a guy' and then we kept walking, but then he was whistling at me, saying stuff like 'damn those pants you can bend me over baby' and 693 other sexual things about my pants.

I didn't really care but its more so that I should be able to wear what I want and not be assumed a girl (tho i do identify as female/neutral more than I do male, but regardless, I still find it offensive - but that's a whole other tangent all together). idk its just annoying - not because I don't like to be assumed I'm a girl, but more so that it's just... idk how to explain

(but being hit on by straight guys who thought I was a girl was flattering b/cos none of my girl friends got hit on LOL)

TL;DR lemme wear what I want without sexualizing me once you realize I'm a guy wearing women's clothing.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    Wow. Well it's obvious that it's that girls opinion. I highly doubt anyone else would say that though. People can wear whatever they want, no one has a say in what you wear. It's your own choice and she has no right to say that to you. I sometimes wear leather jackets with skirts and it comes out well. I still look my age. There is no cloths that should be considered out of your age.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • My sense of fashion ranges from the New York fashion week to rolling out of bed and wearing my boyfriend's clothes. I have no set style, I buy from both the men and women's sections of clothing stores, and I, for lack of a better term, give no ****s.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Brush her off and ignore her, she is one bloke who thinks that she can boss around what you wear. Seriously, she's not worth a second of your time. When I first read leather the only possible excuse I could think of is if you were wearing something modestly risque but even then that's debatable.

I do agree though, there's a major discrepancy about what genders can wear and it's definitely sexism. Maybe not so much in that case (I think it's just some girl being an idiot and thinking she can decide what other people wear - I bet she does it to women as well) but it's a little weird that guy's can't wear dresses and skirts without risking their well being, isn't it?

It's kind of sad, as a chick I can pretty much wear whatever I want (sure I look more like a typical dude but I don't really care and nor does anyone else). Like, I don't get yelled at for wearing what I wear. And I've worn things ranging from business formal to casual masculine to revealing feminine and nobody really says much (and yes, in the latter case, you are sexualizing yourself, you shouldn't be surprised if people comment on it - doesn't justify touching but just commenting is bound to happen).

But like. A dude wearing a dress or a skirt isn't inherently sexual at all. People just don't like it because it's different and they justify it by harming others. That isn't cool. Sexism against dudes goes far further than that but this isn't really the thread to talk about that.

Anyways to answer OP, no, I have never had that situation happen to me before.

Back