• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Top Anime Lists

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • So, this just happend on MAL.
    8mZeynU.png

As you can see, on top of there being 5 entries of Gintama in the top 10, it is now #1 too. A lot of people have their panties in a bunch over it and quite a few are "celebrating" - seriously, look at the anime's forums. XD;
    The fact that it'll soon become rank 2 or 3 again due to salty fans of other series downvoting it for no reason is a different story, but yeah. :v

This made me think of this - Do these ratings/rankings affect you in any way? Do you consider them important, that is? How do they affect how you view any particular series? Do they affect your choice when picking stuff up to watch?

I personally use MAL only to gauge a general public opinion on anime. I've found MAL to be more or less accurate for the top 50 anime - I've liked most of them, if not all. Usually don't mind picking up anything that has a 7+ over there but I do find myself thinking twice before picking up something below a 7. Because stuff below a 7 over at MAL is usually, well, below average. MAL Community does rate most things very highly, anyway.

As for the rankings and stuff, I honestly don't care. I mean, in general, I really don't care what series is at the top and what isn't. But I'd be lying if I said seeing my favorite series up there doesn't make me happy. I mean, I'm aware that it doesn't really mean much and it is just a meaningless list with people making a fuss over it for no reason at all but...yeah, I still can't help but feel that slight bit of happiness when I see some of my fave series climbing up higher and higher in there. XD; I'm just shallow as hell, I guess haha

inb4 you just wanted to brag, dero

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I'd be okay if they do that for all the series (and not just Gintama as a lot of salty people on MAL are suggesting lmao). Because seeing 5 Gintamas there is, even as a massive fan, ridiculous. Amusing as it is. XD;

Agreed, that'd make a good amount of sense and deal with this mess, too.
    Seriously, with the next Gintama, literally more than half of top 10 will be Gintama. wow

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Considering they are usually easily changed by newest hyped anime, nope, they don't matter much imo.
    That's the problem with average that does not take the number of ratings into consideration.

Years
  • MAL ratings are hilarious in places. Like with the two most recent full length Gundam series.

Iron Blooded Orphans - 7.96/10 - Ranked #574 - Scored by 12,409
    G no Reconguista - 5.93/10 - Ranked #6415 - Scored by 4,716

Spoiler:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I'd definitely agree with that suggestion. Not that it's inaccurate or anything.

But yeah, anime ratings don't affect me. Because pandering's a thing and based on how I know the average anime consumer takes things in, as well as how people rate things, apart from being inaccurate, the ratings aren't always indicative of quality. And they're far more rarely indicative of your potential experience with the show/manga in question.

Speaking of which, who the hell is voting Kanketsu-hen over Enchousen and the original? I get that a movie is easier to bite into than a long-ass series, considering it's the send-off, I mean...no.

Years
  • Looks about the same as it always has, except with an updated look. A few shows might have changed spots but it's not really important what specific order they're in, just that they're in that area.

It could be improved but it's not a terrible list, I won't like everything on it but the chances of picking one and having it be good are higher than just picking one from a new season list and having it be good. As long as you exclude sequels of course.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • It's ridiculous to think that the rating makes the anime.

Especially since ratings are so subjective, their only real merit is allowing you say "you should watch this anime because it's #3 on MAL."

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • I dun care about ratings, so I dun care about this silly thing.

My taste is my taste, and so is your taste, ratings are subjective, let's all just be friends.

Life

[FONT="Poiret One"][color=#aaaaaa]Perception of Re
    Years
  • For me personally, ranking on MAL doesn't really affect my opinion on an anime but I usually won't watch an anime that's rated under 7.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Ranking doesn't matter when I only use MAL to keep track of animu.

Although I want to switch to hummingbird or Anilist soon because the new design of the list is gross.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Where the heck are Cowboy Bebop, JoJo, and One-Punch Man when those are considered Top 10 material? This is why it's important to group multiple series from the same franchise together to make room for other good anime old and new.

Years
  • I don't care about anime ranking, I watching it and if I like it I like it,some anime that alot of people like I hate. Depands on what type of anime people like.

User Anon 1848

I've never watched or read Gintama so I can't comment on that but I don't take MAL's rankings that seriously since I've seen Naruto, One Piece and Death Note in the top 10 within the last year or so. I actually like Death Note and parts of OP/Nardo but none of them are worthy of being top 10 imo. It's all subjective though so whatevs.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • At least Steins;Gate is there since I believe that it still pretty much holds up until today for how glorious it is. I've been telling some of my other friends to hit some Steins up and so far, no regrets coming from them. TUTUTRUUUUUUU!!!!!!

Back