• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OW recolouring and Inserting with Ease.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • HI I am Aashutosh Kumar, Posting my first Tutorial and its about recolouring and Inserting OW into a Fire red or Leaf Green rom. I couldnt find any tutorial which shows how to recolour an OW.

This tutorial is divided into 8 steps, but dont worry, its gonna be as easy as eating a piece of Cake.

First i gotta credit Thespritesresources for the OW sprites.

You can download sprites from :- http://www.spriters-resource.com/fullview/48050/

Step 1:

First you gotta cut out OW sprites from the sheet. And beware of The size you are cutting out, Its height and width must be divisible by 8 ( keep this in mind).
    Spoiler:

Look at the red circle which shows the size of image have selected. Now Copy that.

Step 2:

Open a new irfanview tab and Paste it there

Spoiler:

Then decrease its Color depth to 16 color and save it at anywhere.

Spoiler:

Step 3:

Now Open NSE and open the rom in which you wanna insert the OW sprite.
    And now you gotta use your sharp eyes, Browse through the OW of the rom and Take the OW you wanna replace, its palette must have the color thats In the OW you want to insert, for example Snubble OW will take pink color, because its body is mostly pink so, we'll look for a sprite with a palette with pink color in it, you can even browse through palettes for pink colour, There is a Head Palette 0x [04] [change], you can change it there too.
    I am using Jigallypuff here, it has got pink color and other useful colors that we need for snubble
    We first gotta export it.
    Spoiler:

Export it as in the above spoiler and save it anywhere.

Step 4:

We need the palette of the jigallypuff sprite in our snubble sprite.
    So open that jigallypuff sprite in Irfanview and export Its palettle and save the palette.

Spoiler:

Step 5:

Now open our snubble sprite that we saved earlier and Import the palette.

Spoiler:

It'll replace most of its color and may look a little weird but its normal, and we gotta recolor it.

Step 6:

We are gonna replace jigallypuff but its 16x16 but our Our Snubble is 32x32, So how we do it? its as difficult as lifting a 500 kg bag? NO! its pretty easy, Just goto preference and Change its size and Changing its Table offset so we dont get any weird stuff in NSE. Do all three stuff as in the screen shots.

Spoiler:

And then click on Save, we are ready for our Snubble OW inserting now. Pretty easy, isnt it?

Step 7:

Now click on Import File> images > Load (load the snubble sprite) > and after loading the OW save it.

Spoiler:

Step 8:

Now we gotta take a look at its first color, it must be Same as the Background color in the OW Because the first colour generally becomes the game background, but Our OW background Is different from the Palettes OW, so Its time to Recolor, See, our snubble body is Okay, so we dont need to edit that, but remeber the first color must not be the body color of the pokemon, if it is then replace it with any other color. Now we will just Color and replace the silver background with the green background as in the palette.

Spoiler:

So thats all we gotta do for spriting, its pretty easy now lets check that in the A map

Spoiler:

See, its looking good, so thats all and I hope I helped most of you all and Happy Hacking;).
    And if any Help is needed or You have got any confusion then ask me for sure!

Last edited:

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • Good tutorial.......was very easy to follow.no offense man but it would have been better if u have provided the exact link to the sprite sheets...;)

Direct linking is not permitted i guess, but i can mention if The mods approve me for doing so, you can ask the mods for that!

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    It's okay to link to any kind of sprites/resources as long as you're not advertising the site/forums. Or you could just re-upload the image with the sprites via a different site and share it here.

Back