• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen The Safari Zone

Sirfetch’d

A well known location in Kanto known as the Safari Zone is home to many really cool Pokemon such as Chansey, Rhyhorn, Tauros, Scyther, and many more. Also in this little area are many key items on your quest such as Gold Teeth and HM 03, Surf. What did you think about the Safari Zone? Did you enjoy it? Was it a waste of time? Do you wish there was more to explore? Discuss!

Years
  • I found it frustrating as a kid, but it made the things I found there seem a lot more rare. It caused me to consider Tauros rarer than even Mewtwo or other one-time legendaries. With one-timers, sure they're rare, but you're guaranteed an encounter. I would pursue Tauros for hours and never come close to obtaining one.

It was one of the last Pokemon I had to get for my Pokedex too. :) Too bad I didn't know about the Seafoam Islands border trick at the time so I could encounter them outside of it. (Or Cinnabar)

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Now I feel very cheap. I was never a fan of safari balls and pokemon running away. Because of this, outside of gathering items and catching rod pokemon (Dratini, basically), I went to the safari zone on cinnabar island and used master balls instead :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2021
    Classic. Still remember running around the house screaming when I finally caught Chansey and Kangaskhan.

Years
  • I actually liked the safari zone. Rhydon was one of my favorite pokemon in RBY, so I got so excited heading into Fuschia City! Although, the bait/rock never worked in my favor, I hated how the pokemon would flee, and I always wished we could use ANYTHING besides safari balls. All the frustrating and challenging aspects of Safari Zone aside, I loved the Pokemon and the concept. I guess it wouldn't be as meaningful to catch a rarer pokemon if there wasn't any difficulty involved :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I might be the only one to say this, but i hated capturing the pokemon there.

i felt like it could've been more refined. it didn't feel special.

Years
  • I think I liked it, or at least didn't mind it?

Honestly, the main thing I remember about it was how frustrating it was to get certain pokemon from there. NO KANGASKHAN COME BACK PLEASE.

Also the step limit. Ugh. Was never a fan of that.

Years
  • I really liked the safari zone as a kid!
    I mean sure, trying to catch Pokemon in there was super frustrating, but for young me it was a location full of excitement. So many different and exciting Pokemon you could encounter in there! It felt like every time I went in there, I would discover something else.
    Maybe it's also because of the age difference, but hardly any safari zone from other generations has made me feel like that.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    i disliked it greatly. the music just didn't entice me. felt like i was in a cave. I also hated how the timer was based on walking. not only that but thinking about the time was the only problem for me.

and i always got the "rare" Pokemon, but they always left. there was barely any strategy to it. I also want to point out that Pokemon yellow had the exact same color palette as Fuchsia City. not that i don't mind, but it wasn't fitting. I would've preferred more "Safari" colors.

the other Safari zones are slightly better, but i honestly think its not necessary. i enjoy the bug competition in Gold/Silver. could they have incorporated some safari elements to it? sure, but still leagues better.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
    Years
  • The Safari Zone was a nightmare I hated the layout and having to rely on luck to find rare Pokemon. It's my least favourite place from RBY.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I enjoyed it! I didn't utilize it often but I when I did, I enjoyed catching what I thought were somewhat rare Pokemon (Rhyhorn, Sycyther, Kanga etc.)

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I wasn't fond of catching rare Pokemon there because of the luck element, but I've always thought the Safari Zone was an interesting area. I also liked how they made it an essential area to explore for getting HMs, even though I struggled at first (got Surf with two steps left on the counter). I was very disappointed to see the Safari Zone removed in GSC, but I find newer Safari Zones somewhat annoying in that they seem like great ways to lose shiny Pokemon you encounter.

Years
  • The Safari Zone of the original Pokemon games is the only example in the series of the Safari Zone done right. It contained highly rare pokemon that could not be easily acquired outside of its walls (at least not legitimately). It also made sure that players would not capture these pokemon easily. If you managed to capture a Chansey, Tauros, Pinsir (etc), you felt overwhelming excitement at the feat. Nowadays, the Safari Zone is watered down. Typically, it contains meh pokemon that are a snap to capture. Free giveaways.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I find it alright, but I kinda dislike the idea of having the Surf HM there since I once experienced a "game over" because during the first time I played it I didn't know that there's a Surf HM there which is very important to continue, adding to the fact that I ran out of money and Pokeballs.

I also missed the Gold Teeth there too which meant I won't get the Strength HM as well. Fortunately a few months ago when I decided to start over again, I figured that out and managed to continue.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    The Safari has a lot of exotics to offer, like Kangakhan, Tauros and Pinisir or Scyther, depending on the version you're playing. One of the frustrating Pokémon to catch is Chansey though.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I managed to get the maximum number of Pokemon caught in Pokemon Red without trading which requires the use of the Safari Zone (which is, 124), so I might as well post my thoughts here about the Safari Zone.

Overall, it's a neat idea, but it's frustrating to try to catch these Pokemon only available in the Safari Zone since it's sort-of like trial and error.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I managed to get the maximum number of Pokemon caught in Pokemon Red without trading which requires the use of the Safari Zone (which is, 124 minus Mew), so I might as well post my thoughts here about the Safari Zone.

Overall, it's a neat idea, but it's frustrating to try to catch these Pokemon only available in the Safari Zone since it's kind of requires luck, as my usual strategy is throw the rock, then throw the balls and hope for the best.

Back