• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Fifth Gen General Chat

Melody

Banned
Years
  • I do agree with this little part. The story was more intense and darker than most Pokemon games, but there was also a good amount of stuff to do postgame so there was very little that would make you bored, especially in B2/W2. There's just so much that can keep you playing for a while, even if you breezed through the story.

Yeah the postgame really is what sold it for me. But to be honest I'm not what you'd call a completionist; so normally my end of game is beating the champion. Gen 5 definitely extended that a bit with it's story though...

Years
  • I tend to stick around in the postgame, and 5th Gen did do a good job having more postgame compared to most generations where they mainly fell flat at keeping players motivated after beating the Champion.

Vindra

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    I bought White when it came out but life stuff happened, I played a lot of other games for a while and lost interest in Pokemon, and I'm just now finally getting to do a full playthrough! It's interesting to see your comments about postgame since I usually tend to get bored after "finishing" the game (beating all the trainers, etc.) Right now I have it in mind to complete the Pokedex as best I can but I wonder how feasible that is without any of the online functions now. I've only got the first three badges so far, so I have a ways to go (and a full weekend ahead to play, muahaha.)

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Yeah the postgame really is what sold it for me. But to be honest I'm not what you'd call a completionist; so normally my end of game is beating the champion. Gen 5 definitely extended that a bit with it's story though...

Same for me.

I don't do much after the game, except with the fifth generation (even if I haven't finished all of the post game T_T )

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2017
    I had a few thoughts bouncing around in my head about what a third version to Black and White would have been like.

Opelucid City would be the historic town from White undergoing reconstruction into the futuristic town from Black. Some support the move, others oppose it.

And something that I'd thought of way earlier. When you pass someone with a copy of Black or White, the C-Gear displays which version they're playing.

What would the C-Gear in Black or White have done if it were to pass someone playing Gray Version?

Years
  • I bought White when it came out but life stuff happened, I played a lot of other games for a while and lost interest in Pokemon, and I'm just now finally getting to do a full playthrough! It's interesting to see your comments about postgame since I usually tend to get bored after "finishing" the game (beating all the trainers, etc.) Right now I have it in mind to complete the Pokedex as best I can but I wonder how feasible that is without any of the online functions now. I've only got the first three badges so far, so I have a ways to go (and a full weekend ahead to play, muahaha.)

I can understand what it's like when you leave your game unfinished, since that always happened to my Sinnoh playthroughs. I do wish you the best with your playthrough because Black & White were to me, the games I had been anticipating to be unique and it was nailed so well.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2018
    Any reason to use carracosta over basculin in a ingame run?(natually besides wanting to use carracosta in the run)
    Maybe its just me but basculin seems to be able to abuse aqua jet better.

Years
  • Carracosta is the better of the two to me, likely because it gets a great stat buffer in Shell Smash. Water and Rock are also powerful types to have together due to their coverage.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2018
    Carracosta is the better of the two to me, likely because it gets a great stat buffer in Shell Smash. Water and Rock are also powerful types to have together due to their coverage.
    Is shell smash all that useful on Carracosta? I found that unlike crusttle even after 1 shell smash lots of things was still outspeed it. I found more use with curse.

Also I just realised the basculin I was thinking off was from b2w2 giving it ice beam and superpower while carracosta was from bw1 making them uncomparable. bw1 basculin only has adeptability STAB surf and aqua jet and maybe crunch with isn't much. XD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Honestly it was good in NU back in the day but that's about all. Both were pretty poor water types (one of Unova's flaws). Alomomola and Jellicent were good in their respective tiers but had little use in game. Your best hope was starting with Samurott.

Nevertheless out of the two I would go with Basculin. Why bother shell smashing when a water gem gives you the power and speech anyway?

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2018
    Honestly it was good in NU back in the day but that's about all. Both were pretty poor water types (one of Unova's flaws). Alomomola and [S-HIGHLIGHT]Jellicent[/S-HIGHLIGHT] were good in their respective tiers but had little use in game. Your best hope was starting with Samurott.

Nevertheless out of the two I would go with Basculin. Why bother shell smashing when a water gem gives you the power and speech anyway?

I can understand that grass had better options for ingame use. Jellicent can only be gotten 2/3 into the game after surf along with basculin and alomomola due to the dumb decision to make fishing rod a post game thing.

Jellicent is up there with Seimitoad(rip being postgame only for B2W2) and Samurott at being really good for ingame use. Having cursed body, recovery(learns it natually) and will o' wisp, surf and blizzard/ice beam/shadow ball/giga drain as the filler slot carries you through a good part of the end/post game

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I sweeped N and Ghetsis with Carracosta.

Really you don't need a reason to use a Pokemon in-game, unless it was gen 3 Crawdaunt or something. The AI is so easy to exploit. Go nuts.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • My favorite one is reshiram. It looked so cool in black, when it first appeared, and when it opened its eyes, and when it radiated fire and when it used fusion flare for the first time...
    I just love Reshiram. The best legendary in gen 5.

Years
  • My favorite one is reshiram. It looked so cool in black, when it first appeared, and when it opened its eyes, and when it radiated fire and when it used fusion flare for the first time...
    I just love Reshiram. The best legendary in gen 5.

Ah Reshiram is a majestic Pokemon isn't it? It was partly why I wanted to play Black version back in the day, but over time I grew to love Zekrom as well so now I equally love both version mascots.

Years
  • I have a question about Pokestar Studios. I can't seem to get a good ending on Invaders 4, because the UFO keeps using Dark Pulse and knocking out both of the rental Pokemon. I found a guide on GameFaqs, and tried what it said to do for that movie, but it didn't work like it said. Halp plz?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    You followed these steps?

Good Ending:
    -Choose GOOD option ("You tricked me!")
    -Use "Trick"
    -Switch to Krokorok
    -Use "Roar"
    -Choose GOOD option ("No! There's another way!")
    -Switch to "Reuniclus"
    -Use "Trick"
    -Defeat Prop U2 by Turn 10
    (Switching to Krokorok and using "Earthquake" should work due to the Iron
    Ball the Prop was made to hold, it is likely you will be forced to
    switch due to your first Pokemon fainting)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Those movies seemed like such a waste of time to me. I'm sure there's more to them I just... never really got what you were competing for. At least in musicals everything was incredibly adorable and you were actively trying to be the best looking. Musicals > Studios imo.

Back