• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

But Hey, That's Just a Theory

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
A Game Theory!

Has anyone been watching these videos? For those of you who don't, it's a youtube series created by MatthewPatrick13 which discusses theories on video games using logic, physics, and all those complicated stuff. He's tackled a couple of theories:

- How much is the Diamond Armor from Minecraft worth?
- Which Castlevania title is more accurate to Dracula's powers in the original novel?
- Why is Mario secretly a psychopath?
- Does Darwin's theory of evolution actually play a role in the Pokémon World?
- Can video games predict the future?

For those who've already watched the series, what are your overall thoughts on these theories? Are they accurate, or are they nothing but pure mumbo jumbo?

You can find the show's youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MatthewPatrick13/videos

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I love MattPat. He's got great personality and at least sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Yukari

I have to say: I love game theory, Even though sometimes a lot of it is just speculation. But seeing them analyze and over analyze games is very entertaining. I've even linked their videos on here a few times. They're very informative, and while sometimes a lot of it is speculation, is mostly based off of facts.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I have to say: I love game theory, Even though sometimes a lot of it is just speculation. But seeing them analyze and over analyze games is very entertaining. I've even linked their videos on here a few times. They're very informative, and while sometimes a lot of it is speculation, is mostly based off of facts.
I wouldn't say "mostly based off of facts," because there's been a few youtubers who have debunked his theories before.

There's also two of my friends on Skype, as well as a fellow PC member from the Video Games section, who outright despise the show for its outlandish speculation due to their cynical/skeptical mindsets.

Yukari

I wouldn't say "mostly based off of facts," because there's been a few youtubers who have debunked his theories before.

There's also two of my friends on Skype, as well as a fellow PC member from the Video Games section, who outright despise the show for its outlandish speculation due to their cynical/skeptical mindsets.
True. What immediately came to mind were the episodes where they applied some kind of science to the video games. Yeah, most of it is outlandish speculation, but it's still entertaining.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Yes! I've seen most (or all) of the Pokemon ones, and I also really liked the one about the Companion Cube. His videos are really interesting, to say the least.

I love that he makes really ridiculous theories and statements, but he manages to back them up very well with both in-game lore and (sometimes) real world logic, too. They may not make perfect sense sometimes, but hey, it's just a theory.. a game theory

He can be quite funny sometimes, too.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I haven't seen any that are believeable yet.

I spent a lot of time as a kid development Zelda theories online. At least mine made sense

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
Years
I watched the game theory videos at first, but over time I've started to see them becoming less about what really might be true in a game's universe and more about using circumstantial/baseless/meaningless lines from a game to support claims that only exist to sound surprising. Heck, in his Portal video, he uses a line about a schizophrenic man claiming not to be crazy as evidence that he's not.

Some make sense, like his analysis of the Pyro's likely gender (TF2), but for the most part they're just trying to be strange and new.

Years
I find them quite entertaining and have been watching for quite some time some of the science math stuff he did in older videos a few months later we get it on school and thanks to GT I already know it and MatPat often explains things much better than my teachers, they're also entertaining although some like the mario is a communist theory are outlandish.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
I moved this to our Let's Play area because I feel like it fits in better with this environment! Plus this area can always use a boost. :)

I never watch GameTheory. Not because I hate it, but because I have a terrible time following YouTube channels lately. I used to have so many I watched, but now it's down to a select three or four.

I have SEEN some of the GameTheory vids because my ex-roommate watched them a lot. He enjoyed them and so perhaps one day I may give them a shot.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 11, 2017
One of my favorite channels. Very thought provoking and easy to listen to. He's great :)

Years
My favorite Game Theory vid was the one he did for Sonic. I believe it was titled 'How fast is Sonic The Hedgehog' (Spoiler, he's not as fast as you might think)

Back