• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Development 101

Grimsg

Manga Merchant
Years
Ok folks,

The one reason why I actually like this Pokemon Community forum is because: *They actually have a game design forum!* However, it saddens me to see that majority of the developers here believe that "Da.. let's make a game using a cool program and publish it" but in truth, it's really the concept that's more important than the production of the game itself.

I've decided to put up some handy tips and ideas for game development to make you guys think more about the games you're creating rather than just another Pokemon mod.

---------------------------------
How to create a game.

Game creation doesn't begin on the computer. It begins in your head because that's where the initial idea is generated. When you come up with an idea, don't worry about how difficult the game is to create in a program, just come up with the idea first.

When you come up with a rough concept in your head, break it down into the following sections:

1. Working Title - What's the name of your game
2. Objectives - What do you do in your game or what are the goals of your game.
3. Challenges - What's the problems and difficulties the player will face when playing your game.
4. Obstacles - Something like challenges but not quite. What are the opponents and 'tricky things' the player will face when in the game. IE, in an obstacle course, the obstacles are obviously the things facing the person.
5. Rules - What are all your rules
6. Rewards - What does your player win when he beats your game or finishes it.
7. Performance Indicators - What defines your player as good.
Like in a shoot 'em up game, it's how many points the player has that shows he's a good player.

Once you've thought up all these points, it's time to start orgainizing the game. *Not making it yet but organizing it*

Things you'll need to do:

1. Flow Chart - Which option goes where. Eg in any mario game. When Mario eats a mushroom, he grows big. But if he takes the fire flower he becomes white + big. But when Mario is bumps into an enemy, he loses 1 step and the ability to throw fire balls etc.

Basically you have to map out every single action that takes place when a player does something. Don't be surprised if the list becomes horrendously long. In complex games, it usually would get pretty crazy.

2. Art Work - Here's the time you call upon your artists to start producing concept sketches, interface screens and in game art.

3. Recruiting Staff - Write down all the list of people you would probably need in your project. From illustrators, sprite artists, programmers, sound artists etc.

4. Here comes the part where you must think I'm nuts: Create a game design document. Basiclly what's in a game design document.

1. The main concept of your game, how the game play works etc.
2. Interface screens as to how the game works and all the screens that come with it.
3. Graphics and Art Direction. What kind of feel and type of style your game has. Whether it's retro sprite art to complex 3D models. Give examples of the work!
4. Sound effects and music. What kind of music and sound effects used in your game.
5. Conclusion to round up everything.
6. Staff who are working on your project.

So why the heck would you need a game design document? Because in the industry, you would take this so called 25 page document to a publisher and sell your concept to them and see if they like it. If they do, they'll give you money to go physically make the game. Thus, this document is basically used to convince people to make your game and to get funding.

As for you guys case, it gives you a clear idea as to how your game actually works before you even make it. Once you have this plan and as long as you pass it to any game producer, he knows exactly what and how to get about doing it. And also, it's also a testing ground as to how well you know your game. If people ask you questions and you can't answer, you're messed up and you don't know your game well enough. This document makes sure you know what you're doing.

ok, so you must be wondering who on earth this nut case is typing out a tutorial on game development. I'm basically a first year student of a diploma in multimedia who loves too many games and way too much 2D animation. I plan to specialize in game design as well as 2D animation.

All the best in making your game dreams come true!
-------------------------------------------------------

Handy links to go to:

http://www.vancouver.wsu.edu/fac/peabody/game-book/Coverpage.html
Chris Crawford on Game Design

http://www.gamasutra.com/
Gama Sutra, THE place in game development and game theories

http://www.gamestudies.org/
Interesting website on game theory and concepts

http://www.makegames.com/contents.html
Game Development 101. A very honest POV

Grimsg

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
Years
As indepth and imformative as this is, this is a forum for amateur game development. Nobody wants to think of a game and plan it out to the tiniest detail and then sell it to a developer, they want to create a game using development engine (most commonly RM2K/3).
At least you've shown wannabe's how much hard work is involved in professional game production.

Last edited:

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
This is all very useful, but for amature game makers like ourselves, we say:
"Da.. let's make a game using a cool program and publish it" minus the "publish it" part.

Speaking personally about my game, my ideas and skill set has evolved since I started making the game. What I can do now is much more than I could last year. If I had scripted everything from the beginning, it doesn't give my imagination full reign- I would never have innovated the 3D cbs style.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
What matters is the production? A lot if it's in RM/2K/2K3/XP cause they're all illegal. Plus... hard to use..

Pidgeot500

Homeless
Years
RPGMaker's illegal? Err, maybe that was a stupid question--making any Pokemon fanfic or game is technically illegal too. =P

Grimsg: For the record, if/when I create a game, it'll be all these things and more. Well, maybe not all of them; there's a creative process I have, but it's not formulaic. :) It's understandable that people would focus on the ends and (in doing so) abuse the means, though.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
RPGMaker's illegal?
No... if you import it from japan. English translations are technically illegal, but so are making pkmn fanfics and games. Nintendo and Enterbrain should not take any legal action though, because:
1) PKMN fan games support interest in their products
2) Enterbrain has established a huge foreign fan-base for RPG Maker, should they ever release it in the US and other countries.

I can't make guarantees though.

"We all sleep.
Some more peaceful than others.
No ghosts visit the innocent."

Brendan Trainer

Let's battle!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 9, 2005
yeah, all of this is illegal but no one cares about it, I don't see any demand agaisn't RPGM2K translators from Enterbrain, or a copyrights one from Nintendo... any other questions?

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
DarkMage31 said:
1) PKMN fan games support interest in their products
Isn't true because they want people to buy their products not d/l

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Isn't true because they want people to buy their products not d/l
Those are ROMS, not fangames. What we make aren't "their product," it's legally defined as derivitive work.

The companies realize that fangames are worth more to them because it establishes good relations with their fans. This is a better, wiser, alternative to aggressively pursuing each and every violation.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
DarkMage31 said:
Those are ROMS, not fangames. What we make aren't "their product," it's legally defined as derivitive work.

The companies realize that fangames are worth more to them because it establishes good relations with their fans. This is a better, wiser, alternative to aggressively pursuing each and every violation.
I was talking bout RM2K/3/XP

Back