• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

have you ever tried to ROM hack?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    hey guys it's me, your second favourite ROM hacking moderator.

The ROM hacking section is hosting a team competition for experienced and beginner hackers. There are also positions that don't require you to know or learn any hacking at all. So if you're interested in helping out in the making of a ROM hack, even as a story writer or a tester, you should sign up!

I know a lot of forum regulars don't actually frequent the ROM hacking forums, so i have a question. Have you ever wanted, or tried to ROM hack? Why did you not, or how did it go? Share your experiences!

Sirfetch’d

Christos you're my favorite rom hacking mod :)

Maybe

Anyways I tried it once or twice in the past. Mostly simple things like complete pokedex hacks etc. It's a bit too tedious for me but is something I'd consider trying again!

bill flibby

Chase is my favorite
    Years
  • second favourite
    But your Random LC battles are so good :(

I haven't done any ROM hacking. I actually didn't visit those boards until today, where I poked my nose in a few threads, ended up downloading the software required to play the FireRed Rocket Storm hack. I've been having a blast with it all day.

Though it does sound like it would be really fun, I have reservations due to my inexperience with the subject. I do want to at least check it out, though. If there's something I can help with, I'd love to give it a shot :D

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I tried to do some mapping and then played around with scripting for about five seconds before I decided it wasn't really for me. I'd like to make a hack but I don't have the patience and I'm not creative enough for any of that.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I am not the most techy person, so I have not tried to ROM hack. I think writing a story, or co-writing would be fun. I might check it out, but I probably won't sign up because I have no experience writing stories for others, let alone ROM hacks.

Years
  • I once attempted to do it, but all the complex coding made me give up like instantly. Explains why I have always been non-existent in the ROM Hacking section here since.

Years
  • never rom hacking, though I have considered it. i can always appreciate a good, aesthetically pleasing rom hack though n__n

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I tried to ROM Hack, it was a summer vacation thing, but then I realized it was too hard to make it on your own, so I had to quit. :( I still have the sprites and all the other stuff though...in case I get back to it.

Years
  • The closest I've ever come to romhacking is...making sprites upon request for someone's romhack, haha. And that was years ago. I was thinking the other month or so that maybe I could start learning how to make an actual hack just because I can and don't know how to, but eh. Too lazy to figure out how to start with that.

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    lol I'm so bad with computers that if mine got a virus I'd probably have to get a new computer

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • Like many people, I actually came to PC for information on ROM hacking. I never actually published anything, but I used to work on little "projects" all the time. I do remember posting in the ROM hacking boards... but hell, I can't really remember what I did there...

BUT, I've actually been thinking about getting back into it. I have this story in mind, and I might try my hand at mapping a little bit of it, maybe try re-learning scripting because I know it's changed a whole crapton since 2008, and go from there. Many it will pan out into something, maybe it won't. Who knows, but this thread is ironically timed for me...

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I messed around with some of the tools and stuff editing maps and such, but I never tried to legitimately make a hack on my own. It's something that I would like to learn more about and do, but it's buried too far down the list for me to actually make it happen.

Years
  • hey guys it's me, your second favourite ROM hacking moderator.
    Who is my first favourite then?
    Btw,my first attraction to pokecommunity was rom hacking.I even have gone through all the tutorials and even created maps and all that stuff.But all at a basic level!
    I want to learn everything about rom hacking but alas christos has no time atm to tut me!

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    During the early days of HgSs, I wanted to completely alter Lyra's sprite into Dawn, as my young sister loves Dawn a lot. I also wanted to mess up with the Johto dex for a bit, for example like adding Togekiss, Magmortar, Electivire and editing out some. As well as editing the teams of Trainers, including Leaders and E4.

That didn't turn out so well, hahaha...... :(

Years
  • Well, the reason I signed up for PC was because of ROM hacking, so I've definitely tried it.

That said, it did not go well. At all. About the only thing I could do half-decently was making maps, but even then, I couldn't do much beyond that, so all my maps either clearly used events from the maps I built over, or there weren't any people there at all.

Years
  • I often consider playing some of the hacks but I really have no idea how to even do that. Aside form that I originally joined to attempt to learn what they do in Game Development since I wanted, and still do to a degree, create a game based on my own country. Currently I'm left with several amazing fakemon designs that Hexhellfire did with me, some draft ideas for towns etc a basic understanding of the plot and characters and about zero actual progress.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I tried, but it's not something I could really get my head around or dedicate much time to.

I did manage to hack an Absol into a rom of Gold, though. I was pretty pleased with myself.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • I tried rom hacking once but i didn't understand coding and mapping(which leads to rom crashing) as always i give up and become upset.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
    Years
  • Have you ever wanted, or tried to ROM hack? Why did you not, or how did it go? Share your experiences!

Yes. I take all the most well known rom hacks and modify them. I use them as a base and make my own modifications to them and call them "2.0 versions." I've made 2.0 versions of the following rom hacks:

• Pokémon Fire Red Omega
    • Pokémon Fire Red Throwback
    • Pokémon Rocket Strike
    • Pokémon Liquid Crystal
    • Pokémon Complex Crystal
    • Yet Another Fire Red Hack
    I plan on modifying Pokémon Emerald Omega very soon.

Usually what I do is make the starters hold Lucky Eggs (I'll move it from Pokémon to Pokémon so grinding isn't totally necessary. It's boring), change how/when Pokémon evolve, make Pidgeys able to learn every TM/HM move so they can be used as HM slaves, modify the items sold in PokéMarts, make items cheaper, etc. Sometimes I'll rework the movesets/learnsets of Pokémon, add later-gen Pokémon in, and modify where certain species appear in the wild. Basically, I modify all the things I see as being wrong with the games.

As an example, here's a PDF file of all the changes I made to Pokémon Rocket Strike to make it more personalized to my taste...

Last edited:

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • I've tried it. If you want to see how good/horrible I am at it, then just check my sig.

Back