• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Team building suggestions for my black and white run?

Years
  • Hey PC,

So since I never played gen 5 and I am doing a rom hack of it, i decided to run through both black and white before I play Black2 and White2. So I need some ideas on my team.

For white I have a contray snivy named anaconda, for black I have a shell armor oshawott named samurai j. I don't know which 4 pokemon I should choose to fill my team up? My 6th spot is reserved for one my favourite pokemon Salamence/legendary pokemon i get in gen 5 or rayquaza/deoxys/arceus.

So can you guys give me suggestion on good pokemons to fill my team with? They can be gen 5 exclusive!

Just trying to get through Black and White.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Scrafty is pretty much a must. Make sure it's Moxie, breed it to get dragon dance then give it the basic coverage moves. The elite four won't thank you. It's always good to have a good Psychic type so outta Gothitelle and Reuniclus you're going to appreciate the speed of the former first (so in white if it's available go for something like Alakazam.

As for other Pokémon:

For white you'll want something that can take ice, fire, bug and poison attacks. Excadrill can help with some of those weaknesses (and it's own weaknesses are mostly negated by Serperior. It's also awesome in game. As for the last spot, Jellicent will fit in well with water absorb as electric attacks can be taken by excadrill, grass by Serperior and it can take on water types (water absorb yay) that'll annoy excadrill and take down fire too. :)

For black you'll want to deal with electric and grass types. Sap sipper Zebstrika can be good - as it can be boosted by either grass or electric attacks depending on the ability if your opponents are smart they'll be cautious. If not it doesn't take much from electric attacks so you're good anyway. Since you're using roms I assume you're able to get its hidden ability otherwise ferrothorn is a great support. It's fighting weakness is no probs thanks to Gothitelle (you can also go musharna to be safer). Assuming you're going Ferrothorn your last pick can be anything really. A strong bird like Braviary (taken from white) doesn't create additional problems and is super strong.

White: Musharna OR Alakazam OR Reuniclus + Serperior + Scrafty + Excadrill + Jellicent. You're covered for Surf and I assume your last pick can fly.

Black: Musharna OR Gothitelle + Ferrothorn + Samurott + Scrafty + Braviary. Covered for Fly and Surf.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    Go through a list of Gen 5 pokemon. See which ones look the coolest to you. Make sure there aren't any overlapping types. Kick that ass :)

Years
  • Scrafty is pretty much a must. Make sure it's Moxie, breed it to get dragon dance then give it the basic coverage moves. The elite four won't thank you. It's always good to have a good Psychic type so outta Gothitelle and Reuniclus you're going to appreciate the speed of the former first (so in white if it's available go for something like Alakazam.

As for other Pokémon:

For white you'll want something that can take ice, fire, bug and poison attacks. Excadrill can help with some of those weaknesses (and it's own weaknesses are mostly negated by Serperior. It's also awesome in game. As for the last spot, Jellicent will fit in well with water absorb as electric attacks can be taken by excadrill, grass by Serperior and it can take on water types (water absorb yay) that'll annoy excadrill and take down fire too. :)

For black you'll want to deal with electric and grass types. Sap sipper Zebstrika can be good - as it can be boosted by either grass or electric attacks depending on the ability if your opponents are smart they'll be cautious. If not it doesn't take much from electric attacks so you're good anyway. Since you're using roms I assume you're able to get its hidden ability otherwise ferrothorn is a great support. It's fighting weakness is no probs thanks to Gothitelle (you can also go musharna to be safer). Assuming you're going Ferrothorn your last pick can be anything really. A strong bird like Braviary (taken from white) doesn't create additional problems and is super strong.

White: Musharna OR Alakazam OR Reuniclus + Serperior + Scrafty + Excadrill + Jellicent. You're covered for Surf and I assume your last pick can fly.

Black: Musharna OR Gothitelle + Ferrothorn + Samurott + Scrafty + Braviary. Covered for Fly and Surf.

Go through a list of Gen 5 pokemon. See which ones look the coolest to you. Make sure there aren't any overlapping types. Kick that ass :)

Thanks guys,

So my salamence would probably run moves such as draco meteor, flareblitz, earthquake and an extra move (probably an op move for fun). Would this change my type coverage for the other mons? If it helps in the romhack samurott is water/fighting and serprior is grass/dragon. I will have an hm slave when i do need one so i don't need to worry about hm for both games!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Its official, I have the teams ready for the game!

Pokemon White Team:
    IGPPkBv.jpg

Pokemon Black Team:
    7oC2yqp.jpg

Years
  • I normally pick Tepig or Oshawott when playing Black and White 1. After beating the second gym, catch a Sewaddle in the forest. It's a bug/grass type and it bailed me out of sticky situations numerous times. It learns Razor Leaf and Bug Bite pretty early, so it's a nice little companion.

Back