• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's with anime characters losing their arms?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I guess spoilers? Idk.

So what's with so many anime characters getting their arms chopped off or missing, sometimes even before dying? Shanks, Gildarts, Jiraiya, Naruto, Gon, Kite, Netero, Edward Elric, and the list goes on.

Is it some sort of status in Japanese culture that a man with an arm missing means he's all powerful or can withstand a lot of pain?

pkmin3033

I think Harime Nui had the best reaction to this particular incident. xD

I'm reminded of Star Wars, as losing hands and arms seems to be a past-time of characters in that as well. I suppose cutting off arms is the fastest way to disable someone? I can't imagine living with it is particularly easy either, which makes those that survive more interesting. Or maybe it's a not-so-subtle message to fans of these shows who get a little too excited over certain characters and like to draw disturbing fanart of them.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I know in comics it's also a trope, arms just get ripped off left and right in those fictional universes.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Tokyo Ghoul √A first episode today, and when he said this I thought of this thread xD

Spoiler:

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • For some characters it serves to emphasize the point that they are badasses of the utmost degree and losing one arm or two doesn't slow them down even a bit. I mean, if your total fighting ability doesn't decrease much even after you've lost a limb then you've GOT to be a badass, right? :p

It is just a means to drive home the point that a character is strong. That's it, at least I think so.

Back