• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which album has the best cover?

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Over time a lot of albums have been released, and on before the internet, your first impression was really based on the artwork on it. Some are real classics, like dark side of the moon, and some are real bummers.

What's your favourite?

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2019
    Spoiler:

American Football's self titled. Hands down.

Sir Codin

For those with morbid fascinations, you can't get better than Mayhem's Dawn of the Black Hearts.

I don't know too many bands who would be willing to putting a picture of their own former singer's freshly (self)slain corpse on a bootleg.

Spoiler:

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Spoiler:

American Football's self titled. Hands down.

Man I was figuring out why the rest of the picture wouldn't load, haha. Very cleverly done, really like it.

For those with morbid fascinations, you can't get better than Mayhem's Dawn of the Black Hearts.

I don't know too many bands who would be willing to putting a picture of their own former singer's freshly (self)slain corpse on a bootleg.

Spoiler:

Man, that's just crazy. I'm feeling sick looking at it. I don't think this kind of music is meant for me, haha.

personally for me it's a fight between Björk's Vespertine:
    Spoiler:

and Kylie Minogue's Impossible Princess:
    Spoiler:

I admire the complexity of Verpertine's and simplicity of Impossible Princess's equally. I think the colours work so well in both, both are really striking and alluring to me, much like the material contained on the albums they belong to

I really like the Kylie Minoque's one. It's so simple and elegant.

Years
  • Flume - Flume

Spoiler:

I'm not usually very into the visual arts, but I really like this.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • there are so many. the aforementioned American Football album has an absolutely stunning gatefold as well.

Spoiler:

I'm Crying. I tend to like albums with grainy photographs as their covers, like a few Sun Kil Moon (last one technically isn't Sun Kil Moon, but an affiliated project) album covers. those are beautiful. but really there are hundreds of album covers that have caught my eye, it'd be too hard to list them all.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Despite never having actually listened to Vampire Weekend, I love the album cover for (I had to google this) Contra. Her ambiguous facial expression is, well, enticing. It almost makes me want to listen to Vampire Weekend. Almost.
    Spoiler:

I also find it interesting that the woman in the photo, Ann Kennis, sued the shit out of Vampire Weekend because they used the photo without consent. Just a little cherry on top.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Pink Floyd - Animals. I don't think it could ever be anything else for me. I know a lot of people that listened to this when they were younger because of the artwork alone, myself included. It fits perfectly with the music and the message. It's such a shit-stain building, I passed by it fairly often when I lived in London and it's even uglier in person.

Years
  • This:
    Which album has the best cover?

Modern Life is Rubbish by Blur, Ive never listened to it and I don't like Blur, but there is just something I like about the imagery how the title says modern life is rubbish and shows us a painting of a Express train in the 1940's (Its Mallard the Fasted steam train in the world) to show us what the "good old days" looked like (a least through rose tinted glasses).

Adore

Party.
    Years
  • Which album has the best cover?

I really love The Electric Lady by Janelle Monaé. Illustrated by Sam Spratt, it continues to build on the fictional world Janelle has created with her music. Musically, the album is just as brilliant with fantastic sounds, and lots of great social commentary and empowering messages in the lyrics. So it's probably one of my favorite recent albums in general. The cover is just the icing on the cake.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    The first thing that sticks to mind when I think "good album art" will always be this:

Spoiler:

There are also a few runner ups that I can think of.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • It has to be between either the album cover for Rings Of Saturn - Lugal Ki En
    Spoiler:

Or

Excision - Shambhala 2010
    Spoiler:

Back