• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Pokemon XY Review

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2024
    So I only started playing Pokemon Y a week ago and, well... it had its good and bad points. Here I will review each feature of the game starting with a rating out of 5 (1 being the lowest, 5 being the highest). Here goes:

Graphics (5/5)
    When I first heard about the new Pokemon games being in full 3D rather than just sprite-based, I thought it would be kinda overdone and losing the point of Pokemon. Playing Y certainly proved me wrong. I just love the battle scene being in full 3D, it just added so much depth to the game.

Storyline (2/5)
    The story to XY was just disappointing to be honest. It just didn't have much originality to it. Team Flare were just so unoriginal, it was basically just Team Rocket being run by Cyrus. "Oh, we want to make money and make everyone else miserable." "I'm gonna steal the power of the legendary Pokemon and use it to destroy the world!" Sound familiar? Also where does Diantha come into the story? Pretty much every other champion has had a key role in the story of the game. You meet Diantha twice, and briefly at that! So not the best story out there.

Soundtrack (3/5)
    I found the soundtrack pretty cool. But it wasn't as great as the ones from Sinnoh and Unova. Not really a lot else to say, so I think I'll leave that point there.

New Pokemon (4/5)
    Most of the new Pokemon introduced were simply amazing. That said, there were a few exceptions (Yes Diggersby, I'm looking at you!) but most were just so cool. Tyrantrum, Talonflame and Aegislash are a few of my faves but the list doesn't end there. Also loved the Mega Evolutions. Certainly proves that less is more.

Postgame? (1/5)
    Is this some kind of joke? There's nothing to do after beating the E4! Well there is the Looker Bureau but its not a lot compared to the Gen IV Postgames. There's just so little to do in Kalos, so I just do all the online stuff instead.

PSS (5/5)
    The Player Search System is just so cool! There's just so much you can do that it more than makes up for the lack of a postgame. I can just battle online constantly and not get bored of it. Also wonder trade is pretty cool and I just like the mystery attached to it.

Horde Encounters (4/5)
    Now I know what your thinking, why are horde encounters rated so high? The answer is that it just makes it so easy to EV-train Pokemon. I'm a competitive player so I like to train my Pokemon up to their full potential (I don't really bother with IV's but that's besides the point). I'm quite a repel-hog so hordes don't really bother me when I don't want them to.

Fairy Type (4/5)
    The new fairy type was made to stop dragons from being OP, but they changed battling completely. Steel and Poison Pokemon gained an edge offensively due to fairies being common in competitive battling, and dragons are now less used (although it didn't stop me from using Hydreigon, just flash cannon them out of the way). Loads of new Pokemon gained this type, Togekiss and Gardevoir are so good with this type now, although Mr. Mime did not deserve that type at all. So that's the fairy-type for you.

That's it guys. I may have missed a few new aspects, I know I missed Pokemon-Amie but I don't really pay enough attention to it to give it a rating. But I just loved this game, apart from a few things, so yeah.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I know that this is a review for X and Y, but we also have a sub-section in Video Games for reviews, so I think I'll move it in there.

Moved.

Back