• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Original 1999 Pokemon Cards

Years
  • Hey all! With the talk of a re-release of the original Pokemon cards I thought it would be fun to start a thread about them! Did any of you grow up when the first cards were released in 1999 (earlier in Japan I think)? Or better yet do you still have any of the original cards? I was so excited to hear about cards getting re-printed or re-released!! Though, I heard that might actually be a rumour or just for Japan (can anyone confirm?) After hearing this I ended up finding some still sealed original booster packs on eBay and buying them! I couldn't help myself. I then needed to re-live my childhood - especially if it is a rumour lol! The nostalgia was amazing. I made a youtube video opening them ... not sure if I'm allow to link to that though? But here's a pic though of me holding the packs! :D

2qibaz8.png

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I did collect the original cards way back in 5th grade. I know a friend of mine still has her original 1st edition Charizard.

pkmin3033

I remember collecting the Base 1 set when I was a kid! I never got a Charizard - nobody in my school did, although we all wanted one - although I DID manage to get my hands on an Alakazam, which was my pride and joy.

I owned a few other shinies - I remember having a Zapdos, Blastoise and Chansey, as well as Mewtwo, Ninetales and Hitomanchan from structure decks - but they kinda came and went throug trades, etc. I collected Jungle and Fossil sets as well, although after that things started to quiet down; Pokemon cards were not cool in Secondary School, and I didn't have the pocket money to buy them. Plus the game itself was boring as hell and I think it was around that time that Yu-Gi-Oh! started to become popular too...

Years
  • I remember collecting the Base 1 set when I was a kid! I never got a Charizard - nobody in my school did, although we all wanted one - although I DID manage to get my hands on an Alakazam, which was my pride and joy.

I owned a few other shinies - I remember having a Zapdos, Blastoise and Chansey, as well as Mewtwo, Ninetales and Hitomanchan from structure decks - but they kinda came and went throug trades, etc. I collected Jungle and Fossil sets as well, although after that things started to quiet down; Pokemon cards were not cool in Secondary School, and I didn't have the pocket money to buy them. Plus the game itself was boring as hell and I think it was around that time that Yu-Gi-Oh! started to become popular too...

Niceeee! You had some pretty sweet cards! Yeah I also transitioned onto YuGiOh! But before that I was excited because I had a machop, machoke and machchamp holo!! lol :D so much fun!

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
    Years
  • There is an original style deck box coming out with the base set decks in, but in the modern style. They also have deck sleeves with the old Japanese backs on them (straight in my basket that will)

We're getting the Generations set which focus' much on Gen 1 but as modern cards. But who knows what'll they do for the 20th Anniversary.

And nice booster packs btw. The only problem with buying online sometimes is that people weigh them to get the holos then sell on the packs with nothing in without telling, which is being a bad egg. It had awesome art.

I had all the original cards but sold them as I collect the newer ones more. I do have a few left over that'll I'll never part though

Years
  • I'm fairly confident there won't be any exact reprints (by this I mean the card having the exact same appearance) since, outside Japan, Wizards technically owns the likenesses of the original cards since they printed them.

Reprinting with a modern styling is far from out of the question, though.

Also, I have a few hundred of the Wizards cards, but they're by and large not in the greatest of shape since 10, 11, and 12 year old me didn't know how to take care of cards.

Keromatsu

Froakie is Awesome!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    I'm fairly confident there won't be any exact reprints (by this I mean the card having the exact same appearance) since, outside Japan, Wizards technically owns the likenesses of the original cards since they printed them.

Reprinting with a modern styling is far from out of the question, though.

Also, I have a few hundred of the Wizards cards, but they're by and large not in the greatest of shape since 10, 11, and 12 year old me didn't know how to take care of cards.

I'm pretty sure that in 5 or 7 years time, I'll be saying the exact same thing "Couldn't take care of cards properly" I'm sad since I own a SR Gyarados from BREAKPoint and I have no clue how to take care of it and I can't waste money on sleeves otherwise i can't buy cards -_-

DK1

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2016
    How do I recognize a 1st edition card? I recently found my old card collection and im trying to find out what I actually got :P. All my cards are from 1999-2000.

Back