• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What happens between the end of RBY and GSC for Red?

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
Years
Hey guys, I'm a ROM hacker who has always had a special spot for Gen 2. I remember the joy of getting my first copy of Pokemon Silver as a kid that I still had until a month ago(people suck). I'm starting up a hack of FireRed(This thread is not about Rom Hacking though, it's about the title subject) that brings back the graphics of GSC(and hopefully the music) but you play as Red. My aim is to release the patch first when Kanto is finished, but I want to go further with that.My goal is to give the players the option to play through Johto after Kanto as Red, in it's 8-bit glory. However, the problem lies in Red's storyline. I personally don't know much aside from the fact that even though Red beat Blue, Lance is the champion in GSC. That and Red is atop Mt. Silver for the end of those games.

So what happens to Red in the meantime? Team Rocket has been defeated, and surely Red went through Johto... but is there anything you guys know that happens in the meantime, whether it's from the manga or hinted at in the other games?

If you don't know for sure, what are some theories you may have? Surely he wouldn't be fighting against Team Rocket there... and maybe some of the gym leaders would be different, like Whitney?

Let's hear some theories!

8bitpokemon

I'm an idiot, so don't rely on this theory too much.
Theory:
During the three year gap between gen I and gen II, a group of field researchers find new and exotic pokemon after walking far into a forest. They map the newly found land mass and report to the pokemon league that they've found land far to the west of Kanto, roughly the same size of Kanto. This land was material rich and full of new pokemon. To celebrate this new founding, New Bark town was built. After months and months of building, a group of landlords had claimed to have found signs of early civilizations deep within this region. Finding ancient tablets, paintings and text, the building projects were temporarily halted. These artifacts were useless, as no one knew how to read them. The building continued until a builder spotted a man running around in the forest, shouting things in a different language. Confused, the builder followed the man and found a tribal village. (I've left this at here for now. I might continue in a bit.)

Years
Red in all likelihood bailed on the League in order to train against the apparently stronger Pokémon of Mt. Silver. Whether or not he became a ghost or was looking for a shiny Pikachu may be uncertain. Red is seemingly esteemed higher than the Elite 4, and hence is the final trainer. It's unlikely that Red had gone through Johto, firstly because they didn't need to - they had already got past the Elite 4 - and secondly because the intention of the game was that a new, relatively unexplored region had an adventurer akin to Red, who went through it, so having Red have gone through the same thing would seem to reduce that appeal. Red is the protagonist of Red/Blue, and their regions, and is mean to be encountered as a part of those games, and as such having him also undertake the route of the protagonist of G/S would seem to undermine that, and then the player may as well still be playing as Red instead of merely following his journey. Although he disbanded Team Rocket, after their re-formation in Johto - which might seem strange, as they were Kanto-based, but anyway - things were mostly left up to the player, the 'rival,' and Lance. The 'rival' generally seems opposed to Team Rocket, so as such that in the middle of a raid on a Team Rocket place Lance would turn on them seems to imply a fairly strange role for both of them. Generally, though, not that much is stated in the games about Red, especially in the original G/S/C, although I suppose that you could make some interesting plot-points based on the creatures included in his area.

Back