• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon.txt help

Years
  • Hi, I screwed something up again...
    Compiler:1625:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'
    Compiler:1608:in `each_line'
    Compiler:1608:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'
    Compiler:1646:in `pbEachFileSection'
    Compiler:2231:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
    Compiler:2229:in `open'
    Compiler:2229:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
    Compiler:4008:in `pbCompileAllData'
    Compiler:4133
    Exception: RuntimeError
    File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 56, key WildItemRare
    I edited the pokemon file to add some new pokemons, but laso deleted a lot (no place in my game for more than ~140), to make a new "regional dex". Of course I changed "names" (numbers actually) of pictures in "Battlers" folder etc. However, this error keeps showing when I try to run Editor.exe, and I'm not shure what's wrong. I tried to even delete the whole"WildItemRare" for Pokemon number 56, but it didn't help. Do you have any suggestions what might be wrong?

Also, did anyone find some inner tilesets, that would match Kyledove's D/P inner tiles? I have quite to few to be able to make some diversed rooms.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Hi, I screwed something up again...

I edited the pokemon file to add some new pokemons, but laso deleted a lot (no place in my game for more than ~140), to make a new "regional dex". Of course I changed "names" (numbers actually) of pictures in "Battlers" folder etc. However, this error keeps showing when I try to run Editor.exe, and I'm not shure what's wrong. I tried to even delete the whole"WildItemRare" for Pokemon number 56, but it didn't help. Do you have any suggestions what might be wrong?

Also, did anyone find some inner tilesets, that would match Kyledove's D/P inner tiles? I have quite to few to be able to make some diversed rooms.

Maybe you shouldn't edit things if you keep messing up with no common knowledge as to what you have done... Scripts are more diverse, but the txt files are easy!

File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 56, key WildItemRare

This is your error... XXX means name, WildItemRare...
    YYY means it's missing or mispelt, more likely missing, I.E, the "=" sign...

If you go to line 56, you will see the problem! Have a look!

Years
  • I wasn't editing scripts, just the txt files. I thought I knew what I was doing :P.
    Well, so it refers to line 56? I was trying to find an error in Pokemon 56:laugh:. That's how I understood "section 56"...

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Is it fixed now then?

I referred to the text files bein easy to edit haha

Years
  • It seems like I have to add "WildItemRare" without"=" to every Pokemon that doesn't have it. Which is pretty strange, since not every Pokemon has it in the original Pokemon.txt file. I guess I'm very talented at screwing things up...

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Moved this into its own thread. The bugs & error reporting is only for the unedited version of the latest release of essentials.

Years
  • Sorry for making trouble. I thought it fits in that topic. Now I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with line 519:
    This is the error:
    File PBS/pokemon.txt, line 519

And this is line no. 519:
    Type1=PSYCHIC
    What can be wrong? Am I completely blind and can't see something totally obvious? I think everything is pronounced good...

Years
  • Here it is. t's still "work in progress", since movesets, abilities, TM compatibility, pokedex text, and stats for Fakemons are screwed up.
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Part 2 (the text was too long for one post, so I have to double post, sorry:
    Spoiler:

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    I glanced over both those posts and saw many a problem straight away...
    Your problem is you don't pay attention to what you're doing!

[57]
    Type2-FLYING, is wrong!
    WINDLY,level,28, is wrong!
    [58]
    Type2=FLYIG, is wrong...

These are not the only problems I can see, scrolling down, the next like 7 or 8 Pokémon are wrong...

ELECTRiC also needs to be ELECTRIC, try and use capslock instead of shift, those are just errors I can see, not what I've searched for! If I can spot that, you probably have more!

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I think with the error message Bad line syntax (expected syntax like XXX=YYY), the actual problem could be in lines around the one indicated. Keep that in mind when problem-hunting.

Years
  • Thank you, I fixed the errors you mentioned, but I just can't figure out what is wrong with this line?:
    WINDLY,level,28, is wrong!
    I also can't find anything wrong with this line 519 or any line around it. I'm trying to pay attention to what I do, but it's kind of hard to notice everything yn the wall of text, especially when being a bit visually impaired (I'm not sure if it's the propper word). Even when you mentioned the errors, I still couldn't find them for like 2 minutes...

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Press CTRL+H, type in the top box, "level" and in the bottom box "Level", then click "replace all".

After, again, press CTRL+H, type in the top box "ELECTRiC" and in the bottom box "ELECTRIC", then click "replace all".

After, press CTRL+H, type in the top box "Type2-FLYING" and in the bottom, "Type2=FLYING", press "replace all"

After, press CTRL+H, type in the top box "FLYIG" and in the bottom "FLYING", click "replace all".

That should do the trick.

EDIT: Basically, level needs to be Level... After you change Type2-FLYING, to the right line, you will not get that error any more!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Thank you. I already did everything you mentioned before (of course I checked once more now, just to be sure), expect replaceing "level" with "Level", because I didn't know this is the right form. However, I still get the same error.
    [19]
    Name=Pyschick
    InternalName=PYSCHICK
    Type1=PSYCHIC
    BaseStats=30,56,35,72,25,35
    GenderRate=Female50Percent
    GrowthRate=Medium
    BaseEXP=57
    EffortPoints=0,0,0,1,0,0
    Rareness=255
    Happiness=70
    Abilities=RUNAWAY,GUTS
    HiddenAbility=HUSTLE
    Moves=1,TACKLE,1,TAILWHIP,4,QUICKATTACK,7,FOCUSENERGY,10,BITE,13,PURSUIT,16,HYPERFANG,19,SUCKERPUNCH,22,CRUNCH,25,ASSURANCE,28,SUPERFANG,31,DOUBLEEDGE,34,ENDEAVOR
    EggMoves=BITE,COUNTER,FINALGAMBIT,FLAMEWHEEL,FURYSWIPES,LASTRESORT,MEFIRST,REVENGE,REVERSAL,SCREECH,UPROAR
    Compatibility=5,5
    StepsToHatch=4080
    Height=0.3
    Weight=3.5
    Color=Purple
    Habitat=Grassland
    Kind=Mouse
    Pokedex=A Rattata is cautious in the extreme. Even while it is asleep, it constantly moves its ears and listens for danger. It will make its nest anywhere.
    WildItemUncommon=CHILANBERRY
    WildItemRare
    BattlerPlayerY=0
    BattlerEnemyY=22
    BattlerAltitude=0
    Evolutions=HARPAIL,Level,20
    The bold line is infamous line number 519. This Pokemon doesn't have second, flying type. It only has one - Psychic. Then, I'm afraid, that error is caused by something else, but I just can't figure out by what...

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    You have WildItemRare just on its own there. Delete it.

Years
  • Well, before I added it to every Pokemon I was getting this error all the time:
    File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 53, key WildItemRare

Section number was changing to other Pokemons that didn't have it, until I added it to all of them. I deleted it now just to try if it will somehow help, but I'm just still getting the old error about line 519:
    File PBS/pokemon.txt, line 519

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    My only answer to you now is, WildItemRare, needs to be removed... IF no "=" sign is present... Another thing you could try, is removing all WildItem***'s, The error is not with Psychick it's self, it's trying to read something as something else... I've attached a pokemon.txt with no Wild Item anythings, this works fine, to be honest, I would refrain from using wild Pokéon with items as your Psychick disapproves haha!

EDIT: Make sure you remove "SOMEONE ELSES" from the name first...

Also, make sure you've edited all .txt files with the old Pokémon like tm.txt and such, my Essentials error'd when I got to compiling tm.txt because I had Pokémon like CHARMANDER and such still, but this pokemon.txt file works obviously!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Thank you, It seems like I only have to fix the TM files. However, I wonder If I could make less TMs, and no HMs at all by simply deleting them from items.txt. Also i'm not shure, if changing TMs can be done just by changing the moves names in TM.txt file?

Back