• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 7 - 15th May 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
  • I never knew that was a bug. Indeed, I can't get that problem - when I change the screen size via the Options menu, it works fine.

Err.. Let me be more clear. It happens when changing the real screen size, not the zoom. Namely, DEFAULTSCREENWIDTH and DEFAULTSCREENHEIGHT. When changing the resolution in this manner, autotiles will no longer show up in game.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    may I ask why is essentials almost 20mb now when it was previously 13mb at the most
    As Final Destination said, I think it's just that there are more and bigger graphics. There's 2610 battler sprites in total that were made bigger, which I think is the main offender. That and the winning music for the Slot Machine, which is somehow a whole megabyte in itself. I certainly wouldn't mind smaller versions of them.

Haha aww... Just as I worked out hoe to do gender and such for trainers... You implement it in ur new release... Congrats on this version Maruno, doing an impressive job... I would like it if, now you don't have to of course, but in the next release or rather for us, any chance in the OP you could add what ur working on or looking into etc... To save others like myself working on the same things you are haha. X
    Aside from the resizing version, I don't know what I'll be focussing on until I actually do it.

If you wanted some kind of progress report, like a Twitter feed or something... I don't know. Is it important? Please don't say "yeah, do it" for the sake of it, because it's yet another thing I'd need to coordinate (and indeed learn/make myself do it, since I'm not a Twitterer). I do have a large document listing all the ideas I've thought up, which I could tidy up and share if you're interested in having a glimpse into how I roll.

errrr have i done something wrong but ive tried the new version and get this error after it compiles

Exception: RuntimeError
    PokemonLoad:308:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
    DebugIntro:6:in `main'
    Main:37:in `mainFunctionDebug'
    Main: 15 :in `mainFunction'
    Main: 15 :in `pbCriticalCode'
    Main: 15 :in `mainFunction'
    Main:47
    Main:46:in `loop'
    Main:55
    Delete your old save game. Saves made in version 5 or earlier won't work.

I do have another question. How is the shadow Pokemon systems working in this release? Also are there shadow Pokemon sprites in this release?
    It's working as it ever did, except a bit better (see the change log). Shadow Pokémon have a colour of Color.new(192,0,255,128) applied to their sprites to make them purple, so they don't have separate sprites. I haven't touched the purification side of things yet. I'm not sure whether the relearning of moves as the Shadow Pokémon's Heart Gauge empties works properly.

I only know about Shadow Pokémon from Colosseum, since I haven't played XD yet. I don't know if they work any differently in XD (which is newer and therefore is the system that should be copied).

Err.. Let me be more clear. It happens when changing the real screen size, not the zoom. Namely, DEFAULTSCREENWIDTH and DEFAULTSCREENHEIGHT. When changing the resolution in this manner, autotiles will no longer show up in game.
    I've not done anything to autotiles. I've tried changing the dimensions as you said, but the water and flowers still animate normally. My usual response in these cases is that maybe it's something you've done.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • I haven't touched the purification side of things yet. I'm not sure whether the relearning of moves as the Shadow Pokémon's Heart Gauge empties works properly
    I'll look into this then, because My game's whole idea focuses mainly on Shadow Pokemon.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • I've not done anything to autotiles. I've tried changing the dimensions as you said, but the water and flowers still animate normally. My usual response in these cases is that maybe it's something you've done.

Ack, I wasn't quick enough.

As it turns out, you're right, I only realized moments ago that I didn't copy over my autotiles folder. Derp.

However, it IS true that there at least used to be a glitch involving autotiles. That was several versions ago though. I haven't had it any time recently.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    I would like to see how you roll haha... Just a little info that was all I was suggesting... I guess its just things we could contribute and help and/or forget bout attempting ourselves, after all, we are a community that helps each other one way or another

Years
  • On a fresh install, the intro scene (with Oak, character choosing, etc) doesn't show up. What do I need to do to get this to show back up? I haven't touched the install at all yet.

Thanks. :)

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    There are two events in the Intro map - the one in the top left is the Oak's lecture intro, and the one in the bottom left is the "quick start" one I created for my convenience. I accidentally didn't switch them back this time.

Make the Oak's lecture event Autorun, and the "quick start" lecture Action Button.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • There are two events in the Intro map - the one in the top left is the Oak's lecture intro, and the one in the bottom left is the "quick start" one I created for my convenience. I accidentally didn't switch them back this time.

Make the Oak's lecture event Autorun, and the "quick start" lecture Action Button.
    Ohhh. It's pretty useful while in Debug mode, though. ;D

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Wow, you put around of 20 of my bugfixes once! Did the "How to fix" for ones like the Revive on double battles are useful to you? This thing was difficult to fix. Anyway good job.

But I guess that you need to think more about developers that have a game in progress perspective about updates. Updating is a hard thing as you said before, isn't? So won't make it often, I guess that about a two or three month is a good time. So think about it when making some changes like changing the itens or trainers.txt constants that can make devs to redo these things or even about deleting savefiles (some of us have saves with dozens of hours). I know that is a complicated thing.

About the Test Double in Debug, I prefer that this options comes from a new branch in Test Trainer/Wild Battle that a separate option.

Essentials Changelog said:
    Improved how the credits scroll, and removed the Easter Egg.
    LOL

I don't know what I'll be doing next. Suggestions are welcome.
    I think that the most important thing that the Essentials missing is the Gen V pokémon. I know that they haven't good backsprites, but I guess that this is better that nothing. After this, completed all Gen IV/V effects (moves, abilities and items). After this do Triple Battles and Rotation Battles. I know that this new battle style will be very hard, maybe you can call poccil to help because he is a genius scripter and can do this easily.

If you wanted some kind of progress report, like a Twitter feed or something... I don't know. Is it important? Please don't say "yeah, do it" for the sake of it, because it's yet another thing I'd need to coordinate (and indeed learn/make myself do it, since I'm not a Twitterer). I do have a large document listing all the ideas I've thought up, which I could tidy up and share if you're interested in having a glimpse into how I roll.
    I don't agree with this twitter thing. Someone skillful (and with no big help from others) as Maruno won't need to waste you time with these things.
    I am working on same things that Maruno several times, the best solution that I realize is to talk with he before done big changes. Even if you done something, there a change that it goes rejected.

I only know about Shadow Pokémon from Colosseum, since I haven't played XD yet. I don't know if they work any differently in XD (which is newer and therefore is the system that should be copied).
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shadow_Pokémon

So why did you say the older font worked, when you knew it didn't?
    This is a strange problem. When I post the font I really think that poccil change the font in his latest release and the old one will work. After your post that I realize the truth, sorry. By the way, where is the problem? I look into the entire DrawText and SpriteWindow scripts and can't found.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2013
    Hey everybody.
    I have one project make with this version.
    I thing it's audio have a bug. Audio's volume very small in game and it never play form begin.
    And when I use "vs Bar" script of Help 14, I can't save my game.
    Who can help me, please?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Wow, you put around of 20 of my bugfixes once! Did the "How to fix" for ones like the Revive on double battles are useful to you? This thing was difficult to fix. Anyway good job.
    Well, it was about time those bugs were fixed. Your information and solutions were useful, yes; I just did exactly what you said.

I think that the most important thing that the Essentials missing is the Gen V pokémon. I know that they haven't good backsprites, but I guess that this is better that nothing. After this, completed all Gen IV/V effects (moves, abilities and items). After this do Triple Battles and Rotation Battles. I know that this new battle style will be very hard, maybe you can call poccil to help because he is a genius scripter and can do this easily.
    I'm absolutely not going to be adding Triple Battles or Rotation Battles into Essentials, because they're silly. That's not the direction I want to take Essentials in. Also, they'd be very hard to do.

This is a strange problem. When I post the font I really think that poccil change the font in his latest release and the old one will work. After your post that I realize the truth, sorry. By the way, where is the problem? I look into the entire DrawText and SpriteWindow scripts and can't found.
    I edited the old font to include the space character (after several unsuccessful attempts), and found that it ended up working. That's why you need to reinstall the font - it's different.

Years
  • I don't know what I'll be doing next. Suggestions are welcome.

A (minor) feature that would be useful is a automatically sort function in the bag for special kinds of items like tms and hms. Apart from them I agree with FL. to include the fifth generation Pokémon. It's a bit nasty to adjust the pokemon.txt file in every update to include the fifth generation manually.

As always a nice update, thanks.

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2023
    now i got this working its really awsome (and only tested a bit) is there a test event for the slot minigame? or will we have to make one?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    There's no example event for the Slot Machine or Voltorb Flip mini-games.

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2023
    ok no problem found the call script thing anyway nice minigame addons by the way

would be cool if all the pokémon were included in the it by default but i admire the work you have done so far

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Aside from the resizing version, I don't know what I'll be focussing on until I actually do it.

I don't agree with this twitter thing. Someone skillful (and with no big help from others) as Maruno won't need to waste you time with these things.
    I am working on same things that Maruno several times, the best solution that I realize is to talk with he before done big changes. Even if you done something, there a change that it goes rejected.

I don't mean Twitter as a dry piece of... [insert bad language]... That is...
    I mean, just a little,

"In the next version, you will see:
    New/Added Abillities

More Pokémon
    Fixed Ball throwing
    Fixed moves
    ."

Just some major updates, obviously not all, you're not our slave... Just, I'm not as experienced as you, and it took me a while to figure out how to get to choose a Gender for opponents trainers Pokémon, and when I got it completed, I was well happy... I came online, and noticed it was in your new update :(... I don't expect you to get permission or nothing, just a heads up :classic:... I like what you're doing to Essentials, and follow and believe in you, every step of the way, and if I could help you out, I would, as FL . is working on the bugfixes, and little to no information on the next release, there is not alot most of us can help with other than bug fixes which FL . does a wicked job fixing, so big thanks to you too FL . :classic:... As much as we'd all like to help.

On a side note, do you use a Google translator FL ., I don't fully understand you sometimes and I kind of think I know what you're talking about, but don't always get it right, this is just so, if I get confused in future, I know to ask you rather than guess, took a while for me to understand something you helped me a while back, had to re-read a few things, to get the answer, but I got there in the end, this is nothing against you, I'd just like to know :classic:.

But I guess that you need to think more about developers that have a game in progress perspective about updates. Updating is a hard thing as you said before, isn't? So won't make it often, I guess that about a two or three month is a good time. So think about it when making some changes like changing the itens or trainers.txt constants that can make devs to redo these things or even about deleting savefiles (some of us have saves with dozens of hours). I know that is a complicated thing.

This is true... If I wern't somewhat lazy with playing my game and didn't use a lot of "cheat squares" (as I call them), I would feel... I don't know, but it won't be good, I guess... This however is not a problem for me haha.

I don't agree with this, Triple battles should be more of a FEATURE, to someones game, not Essentials based, double battles are fine at the moment, when they invent tag team styled 4 vs. 4 battles, 2 start, 2 finish, then maybe add this, at the moment it's a big ask of Maruno...

Moves and abillities however, I think should be added, not all of them maybe, but if you work on a couple, you may aswell work on them all.

Gen V Pokémon, I for one don't care for them as I never played Black or White and there will be a Black 2 and White 2 soon, great for me... I do however have White sat on the side so I can play it when I feel like it, but I choose not to.

All due respect, you are a great scripter, but asking for help from Poccil wouldn't be all that bad, 2 scripters are better than one, always has, always will...

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I don't mean Twitter as a dry piece of... [insert bad language]... That is...
    I mean, just a little,

"In the next version, you will see:
    New/Added Abillities

More Pokémon
    Fixed Ball throwing
    Fixed moves
    ."

Just some major updates, obviously not all, you're not our slave... Just, I'm not as experienced as you, and it took me a while to figure out how to get to choose a Gender for opponents trainers Pokémon, and when I got it completed, I was well happy... I came online, and noticed it was in your new update :(... I don't expect you to get permission or nothing, just a heads up :classic:... I like what you're doing to Essentials, and follow and believe in you, every step of the way, and if I could help you out, I would, as FL . is working on the bugfixes, and little to no information on the next release, there is not alot most of us can help with other than bug fixes which FL . does a wicked job fixing, so big thanks to you too FL . :classic:... As much as we'd all like to help.
    In the next version, you will see:
    - Updates to features
    - Maybe some new features
    - Bug fixes

That's about as accurate as I can be before I've finished doing something. I don't keep a schedule; I work on whatever takes my fancy at the time.

If you want to know whether I'm working on a particular feature, just ask. I may well even help you, depending on the complexity. I do take suggestions, although it may take me a while to take them - I'll at least respond.

I'll get round to prettying up and posting my "To Do" list, so everyone can at least see what I've written down. You can then take some of the notes and work on them yourselves, and turn Essentials into an actual community project, if you like.

This is true... If I wern't somewhat lazy with playing my game and didn't use a lot of "cheat squares" (as I call them), I would feel... I don't know, but it won't be good, I guess... This however is not a problem for me haha.
    I was under the impression game development was a different thing to playing the game. If you want to test how Gym 5 works, can't you just warp there and Debug yourself a suitable set of Pokémon/badges/whatever?

I know some of the changes I make will break older savegames (most notably the last release), but it'd be much harder to cater to them with backwards compatibility than to just improve things. I don't even try to support older versions.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back