• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

North Carolina debating bill that allows them to declare a state religion

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
  • Republican North Carolina state legislators have proposed allowing an official state religion in a measure that would declare the state exempt from the Constitution and court rulings.

The bill, filed Monday by two GOP lawmakers from Rowan County and backed by nine other Republicans, says each state "is sovereign" and courts cannot block a state "from making laws respecting an establishment of religion." The legislation was filed in response to a lawsuit to stop county commissioners in Rowan County from opening meetings with a Christian prayer, wral.com reported.

The religion bill comes as some Republican-led states seek to separate themselves from the federal government, primarily on the issues of guns and Obamacare. This includes a proposal in Mississippi to establish a state board with the power to nullify federal laws.

The North Carolina bill's main sponsors, state Reps. Carl Ford (R-China Grove) and Harry Warren (R-Salisbury), could not be reached for comment on Tuesday, The Salisbury Post reported. Co-sponsors include House Majority Leader Edgar Starnes (R-Hickory). Another is state Rep. Larry Pittman (R-Concord), who in February introduced a state constitutional amendment that would allow for carrying concealed weapons to fight federal "tyranny."

The bill says the First Amendment only applies to the federal government and does not stop state governments, local governments and school districts from adopting measures that defy the Constitution. The legislation also says that the Tenth Amendment, which says powers not reserved for the federal government belong to the states, prohibits court rulings that would seek to apply the First Amendment to state and local officials.

The bill reads:
    SECTION 1. The North Carolina General Assembly asserts that the Constitution of the United States of America does not prohibit states or their subsidiaries from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

SECTION 2. The North Carolina General Assembly does not recognize federal court rulings which prohibit and otherwise regulate the State of North Carolina, its public schools, or any political subdivisions of the State from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

The North Carolina state constitution disqualifies those who do not believe in God from public office. The provision has been unenforcible since the 1961 Supreme Court decision in Torcaso v. Watkins, which prohibited such bans.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/north-carolina-religion-bill_n_3003401.html

Republicans, after saying the Democrats have launched a war against the second amendment have decided to retaliate with their own war against the first.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    That's really against the first amendment wow.Its not right to break one amendment to protect another and I think it isnt right for them to do this.

Years
  • 14th amendment. All citizens are citizens of both the state and united states. No state shall make any laws that abridges the privileges and such enjoyed under the US. Nor shall any state deny life, liberty, property and so on without a fair discussion under the due process of law. Also any law the state makes contrary to the US must afford equal protection to its citizens. I'm paraphrasing, but the 14th and its clauses have been used to rule against state incursions into property and civil rights for the past hundred years. This won't pass.

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • If they make a state religion they have to make the religion meet these three criteria:

1) They must allow free choice.

2) There must be no "special" service (like Sunday where you have to go to church), or at most, a voluntary congregation wherever the people decide to stay.

3) They must not have any laws governing morality, as long as said morality doesn't affect physical well-being of all citizens.

So yeah, all religions say that in theory (I understand), but in practice…none of those ideals will be upheld. Just the thought of a state religion violates the first ideal.

That's why church and state, even in most religious texts, are required to be separate.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • ...why? Honestly, where the heck are the priorities for all these politicians? It's just so embarrassingly stupid. Nevermind the constitutionality of it

Years
  • No matter how far it ends up going, the Supreme Court should strike it down in accordance to the established precedent - states used to have state religions that were eventually abolished. It is both unconstitutional and against precedent, so it has no legal justification. Perhaps they want to see it struck down to work up the people for more electorate support.

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Looking at Republicans recent priorities, it's easy to see that they don't care about improving the economy or quality of life for the people.

You've got them stripping away womens rights, defunding medical programs, preventing more people from being insured, and now this.

Years
  • I'm not sure what the consensus is on this, but the GOP has a point for deficit reduction, don't they?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Not really.

One of Regan's financial advisors - You know, the president that the GOP worships? - recently came out saying that it was Bush's policies that are bankrupting the country.

Cutting taxes while we're in two wars kind of does this.

You have to be ****ing up pretty bad if one of your, for lack of a better terms, God's advisors comes out to say your ruining things.

Edit - His comment was about my list of Republicans recenr actions and about how, based on them, they don't care about the economy.

Anyway - This move really doesn't suprise me. I can't remember who said this, but one Republican said that the day the Religious gain control of our party is the day that it dies.

Can't remember his name, but he has a big point.

Edit 2 - "The Grand Old Party is more religious cult than political organization."
    I didn't find the name of who said this, but she has a point as well.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The deficit that isn't even really much of an issue, and its supposedly damning effects have been incredibly blown out of proportion, much like most GOP talking points. It'll figure itself out when the jobs market recovers.

This, however, is a gross assault on not only the Constitution, but on pretty much every tradition we outlined in our early days of self government. Jefferson is rolling over in his grave right now. And more reason to make the GOP an afterthought of a political party. They just won't learn.

Years
  • I feel bad for the Republican Party. It's the fault of the social conservative and Tea Party economically liberal alliance's pursuit to control the party, to the detriment of moderate and progressive conservatives. I think the Democratic Party has taken the centrist position that was once split between both parties.

I recently finished writing a paper about Canadian party systems and was interested about how that could apply in the US as well. What do you think the Republican Party could do, electorally, to get back on its feet? Maybe drop immigration issues and more nationalism/populism? That might capture the lower class vote - but that would mean retaining their benefits. I think the GOP can pull off nationalism better than the democrats. And moderate, pragmatist Republicans taking over the party again. Which might mean having similar positions as Democrats, but that's not important. If the recession doesn't improve, and the moderates get back into play, the Republican party might be back for a good showing 2020 if not 2016.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Them ending their crusade against women would help. I doubt that it would bring back all the supporters that they chased away, but it would be a drastic improvement to their image.

Frankly though, the party needs to drop some of their more... shall we say... 'special' members. Like everyones favorite comedian, Ricky Perry.

Years
  • I've read that the Republican governor lineup is pretty badass. I've heard good press about Chris Christie, who was raving about how Obama handled Hurricane Sandy.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • The headline should be "North Carolina debating bill that allows them to waste thousands of taxpayers' money on a Supreme Court case that is doomed to fail".

Seriously why even bother.

Aeon.

Carrion
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 22, 2016
    What is even the point of this? Instead of doing things that are progressive we are... debating over trivial things. Bit of a shame, really.

Back