• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Games you're sometimes afraid to admit liking?

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
Years
  • Are there any games you love that you sometimes feel weird about mentioning as a positive? Whether it's an only mediocre game that you just find something special about, a game with a much more popular entry in the same series, or even a game that has a terrible fanbase you're ashamed to be part of... or maybe an entirely different reason.

For me it's Chrono Cross. It's my all-time favorite game and means more to me than a mere video game... but half the time I even mention liking it a majority of the feedback I get ranges from "Chrono Trigger was better" to "Why isn't your favorite Chrono Trigger?" It's seriously so bad that I've almost started to resent Trigger, in spite of thinking it's an outstanding game.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    i'm a guy who can openly admit liking sailor moon(the original, haven't bothered with the new one yet been busy catching up with subs) & sonic 06. theres nothing i'm afraid to admit that i like or dislike.
    i'll openly admit that killing mlps & watching blade kill off the main characters of twilight would be amusing to me, though thats more of just wanting people the fandoms to just stop posting the crap everywhere, it gets annoying. at least it died down a good bit with twilight. honestly though, i'm not surprised theres vampire love storys. most people tend to default to stuff like dracula when going against these types of things, but the original vampire story is actually from greek mythology. dracula wasn't the first vampire, Ambrogio was.
    Heres a text wall:
    Spoiler:

werewolfs on the other hand have popped up in various myths, but the oldest one is roman. The Metamorphoses by Ovid back in good ol 1 A.D.
    anyway, everyones got the rights to their own opinions and interests & shouldn't even care what others think about it, but still be able to speaker their peace on such things as well. at least to an extent anyway, theres just somethings you just don't talk about around other people or say in certain places. if you walk into a gay bar and start calling everyone faggots, i can guarantee your not gonna get out of that unscathed.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    If we're talking game franchises in general, I am ashamed to be associated with Sonic fans. I love the crap out of Sonic but the fanbase complains about everything (green eyes/blue arms for example) and is just not fun to be around. As for individual games, we have Zelda 2: Adventure of Link and Mega Man 7, both of which are games I like a lot but everyone seems to hate for really stupid reasons.

Yukari

Tbh I can't think of anything I'm ashamed to admit to liking.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    I rarely buy games if they have bad ratings (minus pokemon of course) which leaves me with a reletively small pool to begin with. Off the top of my head, the only thing i have ever praised and come to regret was this awesome little spongebob game for the gameboy. It was pretty much a promotional game for the 2004 movie, but i just loved the thing. I lost it a long time ago, but i still long to get a new copy.

Here is what it was:
    Spoiler:

Looking at gameing in general, i sometimes feel scared to talk about Nintendo... i live in a primarally Xbox/PlayStation environment, and it's amazing how much bias people seem to have against my favorite company.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • o_O @ the post in this thread that just rants about vampires from a series that has literally nothing to do with games............

One of my favourite "game" genres is games where you wander around and uncover the story by looking at stuff, not even necessarily by doing anything else worthwhile. I remember completely adoring Dear Esther which is literally a game where you wander around and sometimes end up in a voiceover that tells you random plot. I also really liked Gone Home which was much the same thing except at least in this one there are areas to unlock and things to click on to read. (I'm currently playing and absolutely loving The Vanishing of Ethan Carter which is much the same but with more puzzles so at least it feels like there's some "gameplay".)

A lot of people hate this kind of game because you don't "do" anything. And sure, I guess maybe they aren't video games in the traditional sense--there's not really an element of gameplay in the same way that there is in other genres--but they're all a really interesting form of media. They can't be books, they wouldn't work the same way as flat out movies (because you want the player to take it at their own pace and trigger the cutscenes through their own actions, basic as those actions may be), but they're immersive and interactive like all other story-based video games. Until there's a much better term for this kind of media, I call them video games and I enjoy them just as much as other things I call video games. I just wish others didn't insult them and rant about how they're ruining the industry every time I brought them up.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    I rarely buy games if they have bad ratings (minus pokemon of course) which leaves me with a relatively small pool to begin with.
    thats limiting yourself way to much, in the immortal words of foarmy(i'm putting it in a spoiler due to the cursing):
    Spoiler:

sure its aimed at movie critics, but video game critics easily fall into it.
    16.%20eek.gif
    @ the post in this thread that just rants about vampires from a series that has literally nothing to do with games............
    vampire mythology is used in multiple video games & almost all movies that have come out over the past couple of decades had a video game adaptation:
    twilight-scene-it-game-280x393.jpg

never played that game and odds are i never will.

One of my favourite "game" genres is games where you wander around and uncover the story by looking at stuff, not even necessarily by doing anything else worthwhile. I remember completely adoring Dear Esther which is literally a game where you wander around and sometimes end up in a voiceover that tells you random plot. I also really liked Gone Home which was much the same thing except at least in this one there are areas to unlock and things to click on to read. (I'm currently playing and absolutely loving The Vanishing of Ethan Carter which is much the same but with more puzzles so at least it feels like there's some "gameplay".)

A lot of people hate this kind of game because you don't "do" anything. And sure, I guess maybe they aren't video games in the traditional sense--there's not really an element of gameplay in the same way that there is in other genres--but they're all a really interesting form of media. They can't be books, they wouldn't work the same way as flat out movies (because you want the player to take it at their own pace and trigger the cutscenes through their own actions, basic as those actions may be), but they're immersive and interactive like all other story-based video games. Until there's a much better term for this kind of media, I call them video games and I enjoy them just as much as other things I call video games. I just wish others didn't insult them and rant about how they're ruining the industry every time I brought them up.

theres a lot of people who are interested in this type of thing. quite a few dragon fable players on the other forums(that i'm on more often then i am here) have a tendency to dig around for everything from references to story hints. the staff who work on the game purposefully put the stuff in there for the players enjoyment.
    theres also the card storylines hidden within yugioh cards and the whole part where humans in the pokemon world used to marry pokemon

marrying-pokemon-j.png
    marrying-pokemon-e.png

Literal Translation
    "Sinnoh Folk Story 3″
    There once were Pokémon that married people.
    There once were people who married Pokémon.
    This was a normal thing because long ago people and Pokémon were the same.

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
  • Nothing from the top of my head, really.

(I won't be surprised if someone mentions games like Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball or something since that fits that aspect. But then again, I don't even own a gaming console.)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • vampire mythology is used in multiple video games & almost all movies that have come out over the past couple of decades had a video game adaptation:
    twilight-scene-it-game-280x393.jpg

never played that game and odds are i never will.
    I feel like lazy video game adaptations still belong more on the movie side than games, although there is one hell of a genre for this thread. xD I think anyone who enjoys most game adaptations of movie adaptations probably would be afraid to admit to liking them. But I was mostly just o_O at the fact that most of your post didn't mention much about games and instead talked about movies/anime/TV shows. :P
    theres a lot of people who are interested in this type of thing. quite a few dragon fable players on the other forums(that i'm on more often then i am here) have a tendency to dig around for everything from references to story hints. the staff who work on the game purposefully put the stuff in there for the players enjoyment.
    theres also the card storylines hidden within yugioh cards and the whole part where humans in the pokemon world used to marry pokemon

marrying-pokemon-j.png
    marrying-pokemon-e.png

Literal Translation
    "Sinnoh Folk Story 3″
    There once were Pokémon that married people.
    There once were people who married Pokémon.
    This was a normal thing because long ago people and Pokémon were the same.
    Well, those are side plots/easter egg type things. The games I was talking about, there is no traditional game element. It's not an extra thing you can do in addition to the game--the whole game is literally just walking around and eventually stumbling into an area that triggers a cutscene (sometimes just a voiceover, so very little actually happens on-screen). I occasionally enjoy extra lore in the form of books or optional things to examine, but that's not really what I was talking about.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Not really afraid of admitting this, but I do really enjoy Final Fantasy XIII. I guess this is due part to it being my first Final Fantasy game, but even after playing other FF games, I do really enjoy the combat system. The characters aren't the greatest in the world, but I do still find likable qualities in Lightning, Snow, Serrah, and Sazh. I tend to get negative feedback for enjoying this game and don't get me wrong, I definitely understand the criticisms and such, especially after playing other FF games, however I try to take games as they are without comparing them too much to the others in the series. It's okay to take risks and while I don't think FF13's paid off in the long run for most people, I personally do enjoy it and I do know there are others that admit to enjoying the battle system at the very least. The story is in shambles though, lol. I couldn't understand it and still to this day don't, but like I said, I had a good time with this game and that's all I really care about at the end of the day.

Like I said, it's not that I'm ashamed of liking this game, it's just that I almost always am met with, "ew why?" so it gets tiresome, haha. You like what you like, I suppose!

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022

Walking Simulators! no seriously, that's what they're called. c:

Despite how much poo they get, they do have a decent following and there are plenty of great titles in the 'genre.' You already mentioned a few of the more popular ones -- I loved Gone Home, I haven't gotten around to Dear Esther or The Vanishing of Ethan Carter yet, and I've heard great things about The Moon Sliver and Mind: Path to Thalamus which are on the backlog, too!
    There's some weeding out to be done with the way Steam's community tags games, but there are quite a few to choose from.

Walking Sims are kinda on my list in regards to the thread title, too. They get so much flak for, "not being real video games," which I assume makes them fake games. Alongside those, I also enjoy the occasional Hidden Object games and Match-3 games; sometimes they're called fake games, sometimes they're called Grandma Games. Either way, there's not a lot of people that will openly share any interest, lol.

I'm not afraid to admit I like them, otherwise I'd be super excited about just having conquered that fear! Perhaps 'shame' would have been a better word for the thread title; though I can't say I'm ashamed of enjoying them, either.. More that I can't find many others who would openly admit they also enjoy them given the sheer amount of crap they get all the time. Or like Alli said, you're usually met with "ew, why?" :P

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Super Monkey Ball Deluxe, for the original Xbox.

The game itself is a lot of fun, and I still played it right before I moved out. Can't play it anymore, as I don't own an original Xbox, but the reason I'm kind of hesitant to admit I like it is because everything about the game is meant for little kids. The plot, the art style, the characters, all of that translates to a game made for kids, but holy crap is the gameplay difficult. I could never beat all of the levels, but I tried time and time again. I actually pulled the game out while I had some friends over for my 17th birthday. They were really hesitant to play at first, given the box art, but by the end of the night we couldn't stop playing because we couldn't let the mazes get the best of us, haha.

Years
  • I get the feeling I might sometimes be afraid/somewhat ashamed of saying I like the upcoming Fire Emblem Fates game. (Or at least, certain features of the game.)

Years
  • ^I see that thought a lot, it's kind of funny to imagine people caring too much about it. I'm going to face rub the fuck out of my army and I'm gonna like it.

Once upon a time I may have been afraid to admit to liking this game, but I enjoy Senran Kagura Burst.

Also sometimes Paper Mario Sticker Star because of the reputation it has, I enjoyed it a lot. One of the major complaints I heard was the lack of meaningful plot but plot is one of the things I care about the least within a game, unless the game is designed almost entirely to tell a story; I'd rather they just focus most of their effort into making a fun and interesting gameplay experience. It has flaws for sure, just none that actually impacted my enjoyment. Bowser doesn't speak? lmao like i give a fuck

Years
  • It's not exactly being afraid to admit it, I just don't mention it around everyone, only to a few selected people who know me better than to think anything strange of me. So, to me, that would be the game Hatoful Boyfriend. It's one of my favorite games. And most people who played it will say that it's a great game. But to people who don't play many games in the first place and have never heard of it... well, most of them would probably think, a dating simulator with birds as love interests is very weird or even worse.
    Even if it wasn't for the birds, dating sims are getting a similar treatment as the walking sims mentioned above. They're just not typical games with much actual gameplay and instead it's reading a lot of text with a focus on story. Many people find that boring, especially if they don't even bother reading much of the dialogue in any game in the first place. (And then they complain about not knowing what to do next... but hey, that's not the topic here.)
    Well, even just saying that I play dating sims now and then would confuse most people who know me, so I keep it to myself. I don't like romance at all and I take every opportunity complaining about forcefully added romance plots to games, movies, books or what have you. As for dating sims... I don't even care about the love story or getting the perfect couple together. But some of them have a really good story apart from the whole dating aspect and that's what I'm after.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Right about now I'm kind of scared to admit I like Sonic Adventure while watching the Game Grumps series. Seeing Arin be mad at certain parts brings back buried memories of frustration I myself felt with the game at times. I also forgave a lot of blatant bugs because of my young age when I played it. At least I played the less buggy Dreamcast version. But what can I say? I love the blue hedgehog and still had a lot of fun with the game.

OliDSi

Pokemon Friend
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2015
    Well... when Mega evos were announced I told my friends that I didn't like them and I was never going to use them. But when I got my hands on Poke X I really started to like them and that pride of mine didn't let me admit that. I feel ashamed :P

Last edited:
    Back