• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: A Somewhat Brief History of the Competitive Pokemon TCG

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
  • I know I am writing another article now, but I wanted to propose this idea for a later time.

This article would be... exactly what the title says. I would look vaguely at various top-tier decks from as early as I can find reliable sources for (I'll look later) until the current meta. It would also generally look at what cards were OP and used in every deck (coughHypnotoxicLazercough) and what cards existed to beat them (lol nothing countered Hypnotoxic tho).

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Would this be a series of articles, or just one? I'm wondering if you could fit all the information in just one article, given how much history there is about the TCG game and the top decks of every year.

Like I can start you off with the decks that I saw get some use in the early 2000s (Haymakers, Stall (both Mewtwo alone and using Mr. Mime/Alakazam, Do the Wave). Then you can get into the format changes (Delta Pokemon and then to the more current format). Even just for today, there are various decks to cover, like Seismitoad, Vespiquen, Nightmarch.

It depends on how "vague" you want to write the parts on the decks. If you just very quickly describe how each deck attempts to win against the opponent, then that's fine.

But if you want to talk about each card that each deck uses (Hypnotoxic, N, Skyla[?]) as well as the decks, then that's more to add. Especially if you write about each common card in the decks for previous years and current years.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Would this be a series of articles, or just one? I'm wondering if you could fit all the information in just one article, given how much history there is about the TCG game and the top decks of every year.

Like I can start you off with the decks that I saw get some use in the early 2000s (Haymakers, Stall (both Mewtwo alone and using Mr. Mime/Alakazam, Do the Wave). Then you can get into the format changes (Delta Pokemon and then to the more current format). Even just for today, there are various decks to cover, like Seismitoad, Vespiquen, Nightmarch.

It depends on how "vague" you want to write the parts on the decks. If you just very quickly describe how each deck attempts to win against the opponent, then that's fine.

But if you want to talk about each card that each deck uses (Hypnotoxic, N, Skyla[?]) as well as the decks, then that's more to add. Especially if you write about each common card in the decks for previous years and current years.
    Was trying to decide that, and a series of smaller articles would probably be best. I wan't planning to include sample lists and just basically describe how the decks attempt to win. Rather than looking at common cards in each deck (besides the core), I would look at the generally OP cards that you could throw into basically any deck and still get full use out of them or that every deck had to run to be viable like the first two you mentioned (Skyla isn't OP), good old Base Set Energy Removal and Super Energy Removal, Shaymin EX and it's even more OP counterpart Uxie, Crobat G, Pre-nerf Pokemon Catcher, Professor Oak's New Theory, and the like.

I almost forgot about Haymaker and stall things. Huehuehue...

The trick will be finding some decks from the Pre-Platinum era because Luxchomp basically forced all other decks out of the meta when it showed up.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I also agree that a series of articles would be cool. An article every deck or few decks (depending how much you intend to write about each one) seems sensible to me.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • I also agree that a series of articles would be cool. An article every deck or few decks (depending how much you intend to write about each one) seems sensible to me.

If I did multiple, it would be divided by what I'm calling "blocks" rather than decks These are based on multiple things, but switch at either VG-appropriate times or when new defining TCG elements were introduced. 1 Block for each gens 1, 2, and 3 (unless I find a TON of info on 3), 3 combined for gens 4 and 5 (When they were releasing LvX cards, releasing EX cards again, and that period in between), and two for 6 (Pre-BREAK, BREAK). Which blocks are assigned to which article is TBD.

Years
  • If I did multiple, it would be divided by what I'm calling "blocks" rather than decks These are based on multiple things, but switch at either VG-appropriate times or when new defining TCG elements were introduced. 1 Block for each gens 1, 2, and 3 (unless I find a TON of info on 3), 3 combined for gens 4 and 5 (When they were releasing LvX cards, releasing EX cards again, and that period in between), and two for 6 (Pre-BREAK, BREAK). Which blocks are assigned to which article is TBD.

You could probably break out a 4th, smaller article for gens 4 and 5 on the Pokemon SP mechanic.

And Gen 3 could probably be split into 2 blocks: Pre-Delta Species/Holon Phantoms and then the Holon engine/Delta Species era.

Gens 1 and 2 could be covered by single articles given the relatively low number of sets in each generation, but that depends on how deep into it you want to go.

Now, my knowledge is a bit spotty pre-Platinum, myself, as I didn't have the means to really get into the competitive side before then, but there's plenty I've learned reading up at various TCG communities and Wiki-like sites (both active and long-defunct) over the years.

I'm willing to collaborate with you on this as time allows.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • You could probably break out a 4th, smaller article for gens 4 and 5 on the Pokemon SP mechanic. Given that the SP mechanic existed for a total of 4 sets, I'll pass. But alas, it does deserve mention.

And Gen 3 could probably be split into 2 blocks: Pre-Delta Species/Holon Phantoms and then the Holon engine/Delta Species era.Yeah, that

Gens 1 and 2 could be covered by single articles given the relatively low number of sets in each generation, but that depends on how deep into it you want to go.I almost considered combining them into one

Now, my knowledge is a bit spotty pre-Platinum, myself, as I didn't have the means to really get into the competitive side before then, but there's plenty I've learned reading up at various TCG communities and Wiki-like sites (both active and long-defunct) over the years.My earliest TCG memories are getting blown to heck by LuxChomp too

I'm willing to collaborate with you on this as time allows.Thanks! I could certainly use a good bit of help on this

Bolded responses, I think the articles will break down something like this
    1. Gen I
    2. Gen II
    3. The first EX era
    4. The Delta Era
    5. The LvX Era
    6. HGSS and pre-EX BW
    7. The second EX Era
    8. The Mega Era
    9?. The BREAK Era (for release around Worlds time)

I think this is the most that could happen, some could be combined and such. I'll see how long one turns out and make decisions like that later.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Pinging to announce that I will likely start writing the first of these later this week with the intention of drafting it by Saturday (I'll be offline from Saturday to next Saturday)

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Pinging to announce that I will likely start writing the first of these later this week with the intention of drafting it by Saturday (I'll be offline from Saturday to next Saturday)

Well THAT went well. Nothing seems to be going my way rn. I lost all my data and I'll be putting this on hold for a little while, not inspired today.

Back