• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

70 accuracy 110 Base power moves

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    I'm craving some competitive opinions on em. Leaf Storm miss so frequently that it's hard to justify using them over something like Energy ball. Yet I see them used all the time. Guess I'm just curious, why do you think they are good?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Although Thunder, Blizzard and Fire Blast got nerfed to 110 BP, they're still used because they're still strong.

Blizzard never misses in Hail, which is the only scenario where'd you use the move.

Thunder never misses in Rain. Galvantula can make use of Thunder thanks to Compound Eyes boosting its accuracy to 91%.

Focus Blast is used mainly as a coverage option for those who need to deal with Steel Pokemon, despite the shaky accuracy.

Overheat and Leaf Storm are mainly seen on Choice and mixed sets. For the former, they allow the user to get a big hit in on the opponent, then switch out, since Choice Pokemon aren't meant to stay in battle for long. For the latter case, Infernape (as an example) can use Overheat to decimate physical walls on their normally weak Special Defense.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    leaf storm? thats 90 acc though not perfect is very much usable. and with contrary serperior available at last its gonna wreck some stuff up.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Leaf Storm/Overheat/Draco Meteor are insanely popular for Specs sets. The attack drop means you have to hit and run which is perfectly fine. As people already noted, Thunder/Blizzard are only used used weather is in play, 70% is far too shaky for standard use.

KirbyX

Veteran Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I have to respectfully disagree, I often use Thunder and Blizzard instead of Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. I'll fully explain myself, I have experimented with this allot in Gen1 and Gen3 and If you don't believe me I'll tell you how to set up my Gen3 experiment. At Level 15 I taught my best Clefairy Mega Punch & Mega Kick; Mega Punch Acc - 85%, Mega Kick Acc - 70%, not exactly a huge difference is it. But my L15 Clefable could hardly get a hit with either attack, like 30% for Mega Punch and 20% for Mega Kick, far below the stated Acc, but at L30, both attacks were hitting at double that rate much closer to the stated Acc of those attacks. I noted a similar discrepancy in Gen1 when I taught my L55 Dragonite, Blizzard and Thunder the Acc wasn't acceptable for competitive play. At L100 Thunder and Blizzard were hitting at around around 80% Acc, +10 % above stated, with Blizzard being a bit more Acc. I feel that's enough reliably for me to justify the risk of a miss, especially when the gap in damage between a 95 and 120 power attack is doubled, due to the large increase in stats from L55 to L100. A fact I've really
    never noticed people other than myself having taken into account. If any attack should be Ignored I would have to say it would be Hydro Pump, I've seen it average 60% Acc many times, even on a Good run it was only as Acc as 70%. I only ever employ Hydro Pump alongside Surf,
    I may switch to Surf on only the First or Second Miss depending on how far into the battle I am. Trust me I have spent many hours recording on paper, hits and misses, contributing factors such as paralysis, evasion due to double team, enemy level, ect., and entering figures in damage calculators. I Swear I'm not Fu!! of $hit, my L50 - L55 team will use 95 power 98.5% actual accuracy attack ( not 100% accuracy as stated ), like Thunderbolt & Ice Beam, my L100 team will use the more powerful attacks, with Hydro Pump being the Exception. If anyone doubt's me then by all means put the Time and Effort into to it and you can see that My statement's are Pretty Accurate themselves. :)

Last edited:
    Back