• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which is your favourite Pokemon Spin-off Game?

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
  • What Pokemon Spin-off have you guys played & which one is your favourite?

Mine is no doubt Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Red & Blue Rescue Teams, just for the fact that it had one of the best storylines (especially the ending) of any Pokemon game, you can catch (recruit) every Pokemon in the Game & hey you get to be a Pokemon :).

Pika Pika :chu:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    Currently, Pokemon Shuffle on iOS.
    I forgot Mystery Dungeon was considered a spin-off so I would say that too.

Years
  • What Pokemon Spin-off have you guys played & which one is your favourite?

Mine is no doubt Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Red & Blue Rescue Teams, just for the fact that it had one of the best storylines (especially the ending) of any Pokemon game, you can catch (recruit) every Pokemon in the Game & hey you get to be a Pokemon :).

Just a heads up LegendChu, but I've moved both this thread and your thread regarding hindering abilities over to Pokemon Gaming Central, since there both game related topics, and not about Pokemon overall. Please make sure you're in the right section before posting a topic!

As for the spinoff games, I'm still a bit fan of the original two Pokemon Stadiums, and Pokemon Snap. Those games were pretty much the only reason I wanted an N64 as a kid, though I'm kind of glad I didn't get one, or I would've wasted even more of my life on Pokemon than I already had :P

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • My favorite spin-off is and will always be Pokemon Coliseum! It's such an amazing game, and I love how much more mature the story and characters are, with it still feeling like a Pokemon game! I've been hoping against hope that they come out with a new game like it for ages~

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Although I've never gotten the chance to complete this game, unfortunately, I would say Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness. It had a decent storyline going, and also gave us some features that I'm sure many of us had found to be interesting, such as Shadow Pokémon. I would love to see this title ported to 3DS someday, or even remade for Wii U!

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I'm a fan of Blue Rescue Team and Red Rescue Team, I love Explorers of Sky, Time and Darkness as well! Hopefully Super Mystery Dungeon is going to be a great one!

Last edited:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    The dungeon series fun, thrilling and adventurous with interesting storyline

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Currently, Pokemon Shuffle on iOS.
    I forgot Mystery Dungeon was considered a spin-off so I would say that too.

I'm a fan of Blue Rescue Team and Red Rescue Team, I love Explorers of Sky, Time and Darkness as well! Hopefully Super Mystery Dungeon is going to be a great one!

The dungeon series fun, thrilling and adventurous with interesting storyline

Ya guys, as I said the PMD Red & Blue Rescue Teams are my favourites, but I think after that the Dungeon Series started to get a bit repetitive, in Sky, Time & Darkness (at least the initial storylines).

I hope that in Super Mystery Dungeon, they at least change the part of how you end up being a Pokemon.

When is it going to be out anyways, any idea?

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Ya guys, as I said the PMD Red & Blue Rescue Teams are my favourites, but I think after that the Dungeon Series started to get a bit repetitive, in Sky, Time & Darkness (at least the initial storylines).

I hope that in Super Mystery Dungeon, they at least change the part of how you end up being a Pokemon.

When is it going to be out anyways, any idea?

Can you please explain 'repetitive' clearly? Not challenging you or something, if you meant the mechanic, of course it is expected to be almost the save as their predecessors, since they are under the Mystery Dungeon series. Plot wise, there are slight similarities. I don't see those as flaws, however.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    Pokemon Ranger was also pretty good, I remember really hurting my wrist playing that game :P

Years
  • This isn't even a contest to me, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. Bar none. Words cannot do the amount of content this game offers justice, in fact I may very well say it's my second favorite game in the series, only behind Black 2 and White 2.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
  • I have to agree with most people here and say the Mystery Dungeon series has to be my favourite. I've only recently started playing the newer ones but I really enjoyed myself when I played the first few. You get to be a Pokemon! Honestly, that alone does it for me xD I was a bit disappointed though, when I heard that the personality test was removed in the recent ones because I always liked how you get to be the Pokemon most like yourself xD

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Can you please explain 'repetitive' clearly? Not challenging you or something, if you meant the mechanic, of course it is expected to be almost the save as their predecessors, since they are under the Mystery Dungeon series. Plot wise, there are slight similarities. I don't see those as flaws, however.

Hey I didn't mean to say it was a flaw, I just want that there should be some new way of how & why you turned into a Pokemon in upcoming Mystery Dungeon games, otherwise I too like PMD Time/Darkness/Sky.

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
    Years
  • Oh boy, there are quite a few.

Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire - I played this a ton when I was a kid, alongside Emerald, my first game. There's not much to say, it's pinball with Pokémon, mixed with the music, sounds, and Pokémon of RS. It had two tables based on each version, and included the version-specific Pokémon in each respective board. It had really nice original music, as well as a handful of songs, fanfares, and sounds from the original RS. It's really addicting to capture and evolve more Pokémon, and rack up points while doing so. The minigames aren't my favorite part. The Kecleon and Duskull ones are stressful at times, due to the objective being using a pinball to hit a moving target. They're a bit tedious and a little stressful from the time limit. With Dusclops and Kyogre, they often end up trapping your ball and then releasing it, wasting a handful of precious seconds. Regardless, in the end, it is pretty satisfying to beat them. Overall, this game is amazing.

I sadly lost my copy in 2008ish along with my black DS Lite and Pokémon Diamond. ;-; I soon got a new DS Lite, and I got Platinum a year later, but didn't get a new Pinball. Thankfully, earlier this year, it was released on the Wii U Virtual Console, and I've been playing it a lot. It's brought back a lot of memories for me. I really hope a lot more people give it a shot. It doesn't only go great with the recent release of ORAS, but it's also a great look back into the early-mid 2000's days of Pokémon.

Pokémon Trozei and Pokémon Battle Trozei - As JWittz once said, Trozei is one of the most underrated spinoffs ever. Released in 2006, it's a simple, yet fun and challenging puzzle game. It is, according to Bulbapedia, similar to Yoshi's Cookie. A grid of various Pokémon heads (all ranging from Gens 1-3, all the way from Bulbasaur to Deoxys) in a box appears, and you need to slide individual columns and rows to match up three or more of the same Pokémon to make them disappear. You do this enough times to clear a level. You can try and rack up several combos for tons of points, and you'll get a big bonus if you can clear the whole grid in one go. The story mode had tons of various levels with all kinds of different Pokémon. And of course, if you didn't want to play the story, there was a nice pick-up-and-play arcade mode. The character designs were unique, and the game was filled with tons of awesome techno music. A lot of the later stages were very challenging and frantic. Overall, this was a very memorable game for me.

Battle Trozei was a sequel-ish that came out last year as a download-only title for the 3DS. It adds a couple things. Firstly, you get to drag a Pokémon to anywhere you want in the Trozei Box. This makes it a bit easier to clear the board, but that isn't the goal this time. Like in Shuffle, you "battle" a Pokémon on the top screen. There's types and type matchups implemented into the game. You rack up combos for stronger attacks. The Pokémon you attack with is the one you start a combo with. If there are several enemy Pokémon, start a combo of five or more Pokémon to attack all of them at once. There's again, many different stages. Every time you defeat a Pokémon, you can choose to use it as a support Pokémon who will always appear in any stage you play. Battle Trozei really adds a whole level of strategy to the formula. You have to really think about the type advantages here. At first, I wasn't happy with how different it was from the original, but I've come to love it. It also includes challenging, frantic stages, nice music, as well as Pokémon portraits from Gen 4-6, as well as updated older ones. You can get it easily on the Nintendo 3DS eShop, I highly recommend it.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games - I don't think there's much to be said about these games that hasn't already been said by the community. Possibly the biggest, most-in depth spin-off series, they take the player on a journey whose concept is as awesome if not better than being a Trainer- living as a Pokémon in a world where only they exist- and talk, too. The formula has rarely changed since the original, as it would have really been unnecessary. A fun twist of Pokémon and dungeon crawlers, basically. They have amazing music, in-depth and emotional stories, funny and clever writing, loveable characters, and all of the other wonderful things you've come to expect from Pokémon. I loved the originals, I loved Explorers, and I haven't really touched Gates to Infinity. Nowadays, I've come to realize how bare it sort of was. But seeing Super Mystery Dungeon, I am as hyped as ever for it. Featuring all Pokémon up to Diancie, every single legendary having a focus in the main story, being able to choose from all gen starters (and Riolu for some reason), it's looking to be a very promising installment in the series. I already know who I'm picking- Fennekin <3 Still undecided as of yet about my partner, though.

Pokémon Ranger - Of what little I remember of these games, they were pretty fun. A nice, alternate take on living alongside Pokémon- helping them out instead of catching and battling them. The main gameplay was pretty entertaining, the story and dialogue, as well as the music were great, too. I had nothing against the later two installments, but I personally prefer how you could have different Poké Assists of different types in the original. I honestly forgot if this was true in the other games, but regardless, I oughta go back and play them again, I really enjoyed them.

Pokémon Rumble - I never played much of these games, but they were nice, simple and fun real-time action RPGs. I always liked the origami-style Pokémon models.

Pokémon Art Academy - Again, haven't played much of this, but I'm very looking forward to get into learning how to draw several Pokémon. Even if this probably isn't the best way to learn how to be a pro, I'll enjoy using it as a fun art tool and attempt to draw Pokémon. :P

As for ones I haven't played, I really wish I got myself Colosseum and XD. I may pick them up someday.

I have to agree with most people here and say the Mystery Dungeon series has to be my favourite. I've only recently started playing the newer ones but I really enjoyed myself when I played the first few. You get to be a Pokemon! Honestly, that alone does it for me xD I was a bit disappointed though, when I heard that the personality test was removed in the recent ones because I always liked how you get to be the Pokemon most like yourself xD

In Super Mystery Dungeon (out now in Japan, next month for US and early next year for Europe), the personality test is back. You can do that, or pick a certain Pokémon. Best of both worlds :P

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    I actually liked Pokemon Trozei a lot. Pokemon Snap is a classic. However, my favorite is probably Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity.

Boured

The Guildmaster
    Years
  • My favorite spinoff and will most likely stay my favorite is the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games for many reason which I will say. First thing and the most important thing that makes me love the series is it single handedly saved me from giving up Pokémon all together if it wasn't for that game I would probably not be here either. Second thing is that it was one of the first games to make me actually feel emotion and the ending literally made me cry, and because of that the series left a impact on me that no other games have. So yeah I love the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games and that will most likely never change.

♪~Thanks for listening friendly friends~♪

Back