• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Sprite variations based on personality values.

Kejaba

Apiring hacker.
Years
  • Seen Jul 10, 2012
Sprite variations based on personality values in R/S/E.

Recently I took a look at how fantastically complex Spinda's pattern generation in R/S/E was, and it got me thinking. Could a similar system be utilized on all Pokemon in a given hack? Specifically, my desire is to allow randomly generated variations in a Pokemon's pose (i.e., one is sitting, one is standing, one is dancing, whatever floats your boat), and, though I have the ability to make all of the sprites in question, I have absolutely no idea how to go about bringing this concept into fruition. Therefore, I've come here.

What I know so far:
The locations of Spinda's four spots are generated using the personality value, in the manner of breaking the hexcode down into four segments, like 00 00 00 00. Each of these segments are assigned to a spot, and each digit of the segments decides the X and Y coordinates of the top-left point of each spot. (On a sidenote, this is interesting because it allows for 4,294,967,296 combinations, and that doesn't even include shinies.)
Relatedly and more generally than just with Spinda, the visual gender differences also work on a similar system, though I'm not quite as familiar with that one; I suspect, however, that the gender code is the key to my question.

So, my question is, in essence: is pose variation possible? And, if so, how could I go about making this change? It's worth noting that I'm only interested in 2, 4, maybe 8 variations; drawing up 4,294,967,296 sprites for every Pokemon would probably kill my spriter ;P

Last edited:

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
It's very easy to do this. Very very easy. However, the space required is the true limitation here. But otherwise, it's very simple. All you'd have to do is change the routine that loads the image to be some kind of switch statement. It's really not complex if you know what you're looking for. :)

Kejaba

Apiring hacker.
Years
  • Seen Jul 10, 2012
Yeah, I was concerned with the space issue until I decided to use only Kanto Pokemon with an Emerald base, so I have more than ample extra space once I remove all of the Gen 2 and 3 Pokemon. Now, I'm off to dig around and see what I can find. Thank you very much :)

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Emerald, 'ey? That adds some difficulty, but not too much. If you don't mind keeping the same animations (but with the different sprites).

Back