• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years
I don't care what any one says, those DesMuMe is still complete ♥♥♥♥. If you start speeding it up than it gets choppy and just crashes your computer. I've tried it on Windows 8 and Windows 7 to no avail.

On a different note, Ive teamed up with a couple of other guys and were making a hack called Pokemon Midnight Version (plug heehehe), and maybe do it for the speed rom hack challenge. Speaking of which, is anyone doing that? The event just seems blashphemous.

I would of liked to join but my scripting skills aren't good enough yet. Wish they were though, would of joined.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
SuperEspeon said:
Speaking of which, is anyone doing that? The event just seems blashphemous
Mhm, and what do you mean by blasphemous? I don't think the contest is a terrible idea at all, just a challenge if you have a lot of time on your hands.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Mhm, and what do you mean by blasphemous? I don't think the contest is a terrible idea at all, just a challenge if you have a lot of time on your hands.
Pretty much this. It's the Summer and people have time, so it makes sense.

Can't really see how it'd be blasphemous because...well, for it to be blasphemy it would have to go against the principles of Rom Hacking, and I don't really see that. It's just a fun challenge to get people motivated.

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
Years
Pretty much this. It's the Summer and people have time, so it makes sense.

Can't really see how it'd be blasphemous because...well, for it to be blasphemy it would have to go against the principles of Rom Hacking, and I don't really see that. It's just a fun challenge to get people motivated.

Its blasphemous because a good ROM hack takes years to make. To do it all in 7 days is perposterous, and you can see by the lack of people that are entering. I happen to be on the only team that is entering lol, but our ROM Hack might not end up well. Its just quite simply, not enough time.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Its blasphemous because a good ROM hack takes years to make. To do it all in 7 days is perposterous, and you can see by the lack of people that are entering. I happen to be on the only team that is entering lol, but our ROM Hack might not end up well. Its just quite simply, not enough time.
Not always. You see all of these indie games that are made by one person or a small group of people, and they have to make all of the assets for the games. Often times it doesn't even take a year (though it can).

But with hacking you have all these tools, resources, bases, etc. to practically handhold you through. I'm not saying it's a cakewalk, but just because a hack doesn't take years doesn't mean it won't be quality. In fact, I'd say, if anything, Pokemon hacking (especially 3rd Gen) is the best platform to create a challenge like this for because of the aforementioned reason.

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
Years
Not always. You see all of these indie games that are made by one person or a small group of people, and they have to make all of the assets for the games. Often times it doesn't even take a year (though it can).

But with hacking you have all these tools, resources, bases, etc. to practically handhold you through. I'm not saying it's a cakewalk, but just because a hack doesn't take years doesn't mean it won't be quality. In fact, I'd say, if anything, Pokemon hacking (especially 3rd Gen) is the best platform to create a challenge like this for because of the aforementioned reason.

I guess Im just bad at ROM Hacking lol >.>
For me setting down tiles can be slow and tedious... so maybe its just for me.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I guess Im just bad at ROM Hacking lol >.>
For me setting down tiles can be slow and tedious... so maybe its just for me.
Well I do think that's something to take into consideration, really.

I mean, I can't completely disagree with you, a week is an incredibly short time for a hack to be made from beginning to end. And the biggest thing to consider is that the RH forum isn't filled with a bunch of skilled hackers. It's filled with a bunch of curious, greenhorn novices. This isn't an insult, and I'd hardly be accurate if I said that I'm not still a novice, despite all of my time here.

Things won't be done quickly, because making one's first few hacks is a learning experience. They run into problems and make mistakes. They may even want to quit. And until one learns from their mistakes, despite how accessible Pokemon hacking is, things won't go smoothly. So one week is something of a small time limit.

...That is, unless the hacks subscribe to the standard formula and don't really do too much to innovate. If someone does the "8 gyms, evil team, 10th birthday" formula, it's entirely possible for even starters. But if you really want to be ambitious and you're not too experienced, this won't be enough time.

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years
The rules stated it didn't have to be finished, so just have fun with it and try your best.

How do you guys feel about pokemon centers having the poke mart in there as well? I'm leaning towards this idea for more space to use in the tileset.

Last edited:

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
CosmicBlazer said:
Also the rules stated it didn't have to be finished, so just have fun with it and try your best.
That's a wrap~ :3

How do you guys feel about pokemon centers having the poke mart in there as well? I'm leaning towards this idea for more space to use in the tileset.
This was already discussed in detail a few thread pages ago, but eh, I didn't give my input last time.

I don't mind Pokemon Centers having Poke Marts in them at all, really. It's been a standard in the main series for a good amount of time now, so I've gotten used to it. In terms of ROM hacking though, I feel like taking away the Poke Mart is just dooming yourself to doing more strategic mapping.
That was a pretty bad explanation, so let me put it like this: Every town/city has to have at least one important building (besides the Center & Mart) in my eyes, so taking away one of the 'staple' buildings is a risky move. You'll probably have to make up for it by putting in some extra buildings that have some kind of depth to them.

In my hack, I don't use Poke Marts at all - rather, I go for the 'outside market' kind of deal:

Spoiler:

I think it's pretty neat and original, and I like the overall feel to it.

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years
That's a wrap~ :3

This was already discussed in detail a few thread pages ago, but eh, I didn't give my input last time.

I don't mind Pokemon Centers having Poke Marts in them at all, really. It's been a standard in the main series for a good amount of time now, so I've gotten used to it. In terms of ROM hacking though, I feel like taking away the Poke Mart is just dooming yourself to doing more strategic mapping.
That was a pretty bad explanation, so let me put it like this: Every town/city has to have at least one important building (besides the Center & Mart) in my eyes, so taking away one of the 'staple' buildings is a risky move. You'll probably have to make up for it by putting in some extra buildings that have some kind of depth to them.

In my hack, I don't use Poke Marts at all - rather, I go for the 'outside market' kind of deal:

Spoiler:

Alright thanks, I'll see what I can do :)

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023

Spoiler:

...but what if it rains? o.o

Years
What bothers me about Firered is that you get bags for TMs and berries. It seems kinda pointless to do that considering in RSE those things were never implemented and the games were just as good. And there's the annoyance of opening the bags just to use the items where RSE put them in categories in the bag

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
What bothers me about Firered is that you get bags for TMs and berries. It seems kinda pointless to do that considering in RSE those things were never implemented and the games were just as good. And there's the annoyance of opening the bags just to use the items where RSE put them in categories in the bag
I think you just mean berries. TMs are in every main pokemon game.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
I don't really see it anymore, but I remember years ago a lot of people talking about how "unstable" Emerald is to work with. I'm just curious if there was any truth to that, and if so, why, and if not, why did so many people think that?

Back