• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First movie returning to theaters

Years
  • As hyped as I want to be about this, it's a bit disappointing to see that it's an American only event (as far as I can tell), and even if I wanted to go, the closest locations to me aren't even going to be playing it. Still, it's cool an event like this is happening, even if only a select group of people are going to be able to watch.

And since this is anime news, I'm going to move this over to our Pokemon Anime board for you!

MOVED.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I have mixed feelings about this news. On one hand, I want to watch it out of nostalgia, but on the other hand, the English dub is terrible (not to mention 4kids trying to shoehorn a moral that's hypocritical to the concept of Pokemon) and I know fairly well that the Nostalgia Critic will somehow do re-review of it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2017
    I have mixed feelings about this news. On one hand, I want to watch it out of nostalgia, but on the other hand, the English dub is terrible (not to mention 4kids trying to shoehorn a moral that's hypocritical to the concept of Pokemon) and I know fairly well that the Nostalgia Critic will somehow do re-review of it.

It always was clear to me that fighting for sport and fighting to death are two functionally different things. I don't understand why people are so upset about the moral.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Pretty sure my cinema won't be there. But I a girl can dream, I'll totally go with my friends or even alone!! Or try to bring my boyfriend mwahaha.

Pokemon movie with buttery pop-corns, what's better?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I think this is a bad idea to be honest. Yeah Nostalgia may kick in, but if people get pass that, they are going to see just how terrible the First Movie is. And I literally mean it is an extremely bad movie.

I guess they are do it in America, similar to how it seems Generations is also only American as Japanese haven't shown a single episode.

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2018
    I think this is a bad idea to be honest. Yeah Nostalgia may kick in, but if people get pass that, they are going to see just how terrible the First Movie is. And I literally mean it is an extremely bad movie.

I guess they are do it in America, similar to how it seems Generations is also only American as Japanese haven't shown a single episode.

You honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Anyone who thinks this is a bad idea just doesn't get it. We deserve this. It's a special moment for people that went 17 years ago. It's by far the best movie they've made a Pokémon along side Pokémon 2000. After the third movie, it progressively got worse. Pokémon now is horrible and laughable. Ash is still the same age and still isn't a Pokémon master after all this time. It's actually a shame where this franchise has gone. This is a great moment for all the original fans who truly get it to celebrate a special time that happened in our lives. Indigo league until Johto is what it's all about

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • You honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Anyone who thinks this is a bad idea just doesn't get it. We deserve this. It's a special moment for people that went 17 years ago. It's by far the best movie they've made a Pokémon along side Pokémon 2000. After the third movie, it progressively got worse. Pokémon now is horrible and laughable. Ash is still the same age and still isn't a Pokémon master after all this time. It's actually a shame where this franchise has gone. This is a great moment for all the original fans who truly get it to celebrate a special time that happened in our lives. Indigo league until Johto is what it's all about

if you really think that, then you are stuck in Nostalga. The only thing good about Pokemon the First Movie is the music. Everything else about it is terrible. There is hardly a storyline. It is far to fast paced and there is nothing character development wise other than for Mewtwo.

That is my damn opinion and if you think only your matters, get over your self. Everyone I have talked now sees how bad the first movie is. 2000, was far superior. The Hoenn movies were far superior. And Heroes is far superior.

There is nothign special about the first movie. Nothing at all.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • if you really think that, then you are stuck in Nostalga. The only thing good about Pokemon the First Movie is the music. Everything else about it is terrible. There is hardly a storyline. It is far to fast paced and there is nothing character development wise other than for Mewtwo.

That is my damn opinion and if you think only your matters, get over your self. Everyone I have talked now sees how bad the first movie is. 2000, was far superior. The Hoenn movies were far superior. And Heroes is far superior.

2000 is just as bad according to Linkara. Spell of the Unown is seen as the best of the three movies that came to the U.S. theatrically due to Molly's development.

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2018
    if you really think that, then you are stuck in Nostalga. The only thing good about Pokemon the First Movie is the music. Everything else about it is terrible. There is hardly a storyline. It is far to fast paced and there is nothing character development wise other than for Mewtwo.

You're stuck in this new generation of Pokémon which is horrifically bad. The TV show should have ended 10+ years ago and should have had a new story plot with the new main character. The ratings in America have dropped. Nothing special about the first movie? It only made $82 million. No big deal. Everyone you talk to? You mean people on this website and people that are stuck in this new generation of Pokémon. You just don't get it man. To say this is a bad idea is just horrible to think that. This is a special time for old-school fans. This was our childhood and our moment we get back

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    The first movie isn't terrible. It's focussd and darker. Obviously if you have a movie for a series with none, you need to introduce the characters to an audience! You cant just change them and start it. They end up with amnesia anyway. So changing them too much would look like bad writing.

Shows at the time were like Star Wars prequels or hd characters like Gaara who are identical to Mewtwo but less important. So it was a standrd to have this kind of drama. This movie probably had a more dramatic and threatening take than the others. It might be 'nostalgic' but films were different then! Some might prefr it!

The first movie has important characters and drama, the latr ones have all the Pokemon behaving like the same thing. You can say the games have improved, but the films are less important. The first movie was about a powerful creeture and a major event, not just some protagonists. It's not like the series has done the same thing much better often.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • The first movie isn't terrible. It's focussd and darker. Obviously if you have a movie for a series with none, you need to introduce the characters to an audience! You cant just change them and start it. They end up with amnesia anyway. So changing them too much would look like bad writing.

Shows at the time were like Star Wars prequels or hd characters like Gaara who are identical to Mewtwo but less important. So it was a standrd to have this kind of drama. This movie probably had a more dramatic and threatening take than the others. It might be 'nostalgic' but films were different then! Some might prefr it!

The first movie has important characters and drama, the latr ones have all the Pokemon behaving like the same thing. You can say the games have improved, but the films are less important. The first movie was about a powerful creeture and a major event, not just some protagonists. It's not like the series has done the same thing much better often.

Allow me to explain the first movie is considered terrible:

1) The movie failed to introduce audiences who aren't familiar with the series the basic story of the Pokémon world and Ash Ketchum, thus leaving them confused throughout the film (as shown from the Nostalgia Critic's review).

2) The English dub changed a lot things to the original version such as cutting Amber scenes, which were later brought back as part of a special feature for Mewtwo Returns, the plot regarding Mewtwo's struggle as a clone and wanting to prove to the world that clones are stronger, which was turn changed to Mewtwo's revenge against humanity and tries to take over the world, and the anti-fighting message I've previously mentioned, when in the original it was about how fighting in the Pokémon's nature.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I meant they were trying to launch the seres in movie form. Lay out a format and the basic archetypes, even if this seemed new to audiences. We can't judge them by adding demands they weren't trying. It didn't go that badly. The series was big then and the movie did not harm this snse of being a big thing.

If audiences can't get a simple story where one character is the plucky protagonist, another a powerful (but slightly complex) villain, and some assist them or do jobs in the area, that is really their own fault.

A dub can make a film much worse, by removing things, bt it doesn't make it terrible. That depends on the base film. You can see people disliking it, but the story of Mewtwo is much edgier than say the Jirachi or Celebi film. It's a much darker style with this series. Mewtwo represents this well. If you dislike it, OK, bt presenting it as awful compared to later films (or the Magearna one) is dicey.

Last edited:

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I probably won't go, but its a pretty cool thing to see them do. It makes a lot of sense and would probably sell based on Nostalgia. The first movie is the most known and started it all, so it makes sense. It be nice to get the other movies in theaters to, but that probably won't happen.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • No Cinemark theaters around here. :| I've already seen the movie six times or so anyway, so even if it were playing in one of my theaters at home, I wouldn't go. Nice to see it back, though, been a long time since Pokemon movies were in theaters!

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2017
    The first movie wasn't bad it's was fine. And I'm glad to see that they are actually doing something like that

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    The first movie is the most memorable for me. I remember watching it as a kid sheding a tear when Ash got stoned. It was an awesome movie

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • It's playing in Australian cinemas from what I remember seeing, which is pretty cool! I don't think I'll end up going to see it because idk who I'd go with, but nostalgia is definitely tempting me, and I'm sure it would be tempting a lot of people who were into Pokémon as kids when the movie was first released, and got back into Pokémon through GO!, so definitely a good move on their part. $$$

Back