• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Game Music 30 Day Challenge

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • Day 2 - your least favourite song

Desktop, from .Hack//G.U.

It's a beautifully composed piece and I love it to death. That said, I also hate it, because it's probably the track in the G.U. games that hits the feels the most. In other words, I hate this piece because it reminds me that .Hack really isn't coming back. It's a "love hurts" type deal.

Day 3 - a song that makes you happy

Objection! 2013, from Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

If there was any theme that gets my hyped in Ace Attorney, it'd probably be one of the pursuit themes, but I Objection! 2013 is probably the theme that I react to emotionally the most. This isn't my favorite Ace Attorney theme and, heck, I'd go as far as to even say it's not my favorite Objection! theme, but this theme is rather important to me for reasons that go back to the trailer.

...Reasons that I won't go into because rambling, but let's say that things were looking dim for the series, and even dimmer for the West getting any of the games if they were to happen. Then, like a ray of light, Objection! 2013 plays. I can't express how happy I was, even if a little concerned. But I think it's an appropriate pick.

Day 4 - a song that makes you sad

Never More, from Shin Megami Tensei - Persona 4

I love Persona 4 as a series, I really do. Be it Persona 4, Persona Q, Arena, Ultimax, or even Dancing All Night, I think the series is really well done. But flashback to 2009, I have 50+ hours, and I've beaten the final of final bosses, then Never More plays. It really does create a biting feeling...and if you've played the game, you'll probably know exactly how it feels. You've spent all your time with these people, you've built all of these relationships, and when all is said and done you have to say goodbye. I think this is a good bit of player-MC cohesion, as it really does instill a good bit of sadness in you. I absolutely love this song, and I can't help but remember how it felt whenever I hear it.

Day 5 - your favourite 8-bit song

Asking me for favorites is basically the same as pulling teeth. Instead, as usual, I'll go with tracks I've been listening to recently. Specifically, I've been working with the PC-98 Touhou OSTs, so I'll pick one from those.

Vanishing Dream ~ Lost Dream, from Touhou 3 - Phantasmagoria of Dimensional Dream

If you know of Touhou, you probably know that it's known for its music. And you probably know how much I love it possibly maybe- regardless...the PC-98 Touhou games are rather obscure. Heck, most fans haven't ever played the games or only know a few songs (Bad Apple being the most popular of the songs from that era. But, as I've a project going on with the games as of late, I have delved deeply into this world that seems also lost and have found a number of gems. There are of course such greats that were later redone such as Love-Colored Magic and Maiden's Cappricio, but picking those would be cheating since I've known about those for quite sometime. There's also-

Actually, nevermind, it'd be best to just focus on Anaberal. So for those of you who don't know who she is, Kana Anaberal in the context of Touhou is a poltergeist created by a mentally unstable girl. Though she continued to exist, the one who created her passed on and Kana was bound to a mansion, where she went on to scare its inhabitants. The problem, however, is that she's been there for so long that those that live there just aren't scared anymore. Fans may find her case to be similar to the Prismriver Sisters of Touhou 7. As is Touhou's nature, this is mostly played for laughs, but I always found it interesting that she was given such a sad and somber theme to go along with it. As is ZUN's nature, he does very well in painting a background through music rather than words, and I think that this really helps to sympathize with Anaberal, as hers is a rather unfortunate story.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Day 5 - Your favorite 8-bit song

Gonna agree with Lisia and say Vampire Killer from the original Castlevania.

It's just so cool.

pkmin3033

Day 6 - Your favourite 16-bit song

Picking one Sonic track was hard, because across the Megadrive games there were so many good tracks for zones. Sonic 3D might be my favourite Sonic, but Sonic 2 won out in the end for this. It's so fantastically eerie, and I loved playing through this zone for the first time when I finally made it there <3

Yukari

I'm not even gonna say anything else here.

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
    Years
  • I swear I already posted my Day 5, but oh well.

Day 5
    Whistle Concert (Blue's/Protoman's Theme)

Melancholy is really the only way to describe this tune. Soothing, peaceful and insanely catchy, "Whistle Concert" is one of the best 8-bit tunes of all time. (Although, I probably should have saved this for the credits/epilogue day. Oh well).

Day 6
    Celes' Theme (Final Fantasy VI)

Another more "depressing" song, Celes' theme plays very rarely in FFVI. That said, when it does play it is a joy to listen to. Although, some of the moments that it does play in are a little... depressing (e.g Celes' suicide attempt).

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Day 4 - a song that makes you sad​

To the Moon's soundtrack is definitely really emotional. Orpheus went with Everything's Alright (literally made me cry during the sequence it played in the game), but I also want to mention Having Lived, which makes me sad as well.

For my entry, I'm going to go with The Price of Freedom from Crisis Core. Zack's final stand, plays during your last, futile fight as he gets gunned down by thousands of soldiers and his memories all flash before his eyes.

...I specialize in sad VG songs, apparently, according to anyone that's been in the plug.dj room with me.

Day 5 - Your favourite 8-bit song​

TERITS why hasn't this been mentioned​

Day 6 - Your favourite 16-bit song​

I admit I don't listen to a lot of chiptunes in general these days, but this brings back a lot of good memories. ♥

Bay

Years
  • Day 6 - Your favourite 16-bit song

I'm going with my instincts here, haha. But yeah, Street Fighter II has some pretty cool music and I remember loving the country themes going.

Years
  • Day 6 - Your favourite 16-bit song

There was a lot of good music during this era, but of the games I've actually played, I'd have to pick...

The Baby Bowser Boss Battle theme from Yoshi's Island. A giant Baby Bowser is PISSED, so they go with a metal song. xD

pkmin3033

Day 7 - A song that gets you geared up for a challenge

As far as boss battle themes go, this is easily one of the best. As soon as it starts playing in the game you know you're facing off against something that is going to be pretty difficult to kill, and it definitely gets me geared up to face whatever it happens to be. I often find myself humming it as well. xD

Years
  • Still day 6 here

Day 6 - Your favorite 16-bit song

Terra's Theme is just so cool. Especially hearing it the first time during the opening credits as the characters march through the snow.

Years
  • Day 6 - Your Favorite 16-bit Song
    I didn't even know 16-bit songs were a thing haha. *Looks on Youtube*
    Ohhh so that's what 16-bit songs sound like...
    [ythd]jjgwVSDAmP4[/ythd]
    After that embarrassment, I have chosen Terra's Theme from Final Fantasy. It's super soothing and is uplifting.

[ythd]KcAfG0Sn-u4[/ythd]
    I don't know how you can't listen to this and not be pumped to fight Dark Bowser. It's just a great theme to listen to.

Years
  • Day 7 - A song that gets you geared up for a challenge

ACTIVATING COMBAT MODE. "The Summoned" is Crisis Core's remix of "Those Who Fight Further" from the original FFVII. The energy in the electric guitars really gets me pumped up and I enjoy listening to this song while working out.

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
    Years
  • Day 7:

Can I use Mechanical Rhythm again? No? Okay...

You Will Know Our Names (Xenoblade Chronicles)

Another fantastic song from Xenoblade Chronicles, this song plays whenever a unique monster is fought. And it is outstanding. As soon as it starts with its kick-ass guitar riff, I know that I've got a tough battle ahead of me (or I accidentally drew aggro from a level 90 Gogol). Either way, this song gets you pumped up for a challenge like no other (except Mechanical Rhythm, of course).

It also has an "amazing" Kazoo cover.
    Spoiler:

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Day 7, A Song that gets you Geared up for a Challenge

When it comes to songs that get me geared up for a challenge, there are several I can think of. Course the one I will be going with is Fighting Fate from Final Fantasy XIII. That song always gets me ready for fighting a certain fal'Cie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH5QcBC0G28

Last edited:

Yukari

Okay so I love the OST for Megaman X. Let me get that out of the way right now.

Back