• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do people actually close tabs when they've read them?

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
  • I try to keep the number of tabs I have open to a minimum. When I am researching something I can have a lot of tabs open, but when I have found what I was looking for I close the window, and all of the tabs.

I guess it's my reddit mentality of opening all the threads and reading them piece by piece, and never closing them...
    RES keeps me from opening a bunch of tabs when I browse reddit.

I keep my number of tabs to a limit of 4, because I don't want to risk my chances of getting a virus or slowing down my computer. After reading an article tab and its comments, I x it out immediately.
    You won't get a virus from just keeping an tab open, it does take resources to keep the tab open though, so if you have an older computer or one that is really slow, keeping excess tabs closed can help with performance.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I try to keep my tab count to a certain number. if there's a tab that I don't need, I'll just close it. On average I have about 3-4 PC tabs open, plus twitter, uni student portal, and youtube sometimes. The most I've opened was 30 tabs...and that was recent iirc!

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Tabs are open if they're something I want to read. Once I'm done reading them, they get closed. There are times where I have 10+ open, but most of the time I try to keep it down to just a few. I feel really cluttered and jumbled if I have a ton of tabs open - usually that's only if I want to, say, look at a bunch of forum threads or read multiple articles on a site though, and I close them as I read them.

Years
  • I don't limit how many tabs I have open, but I do close them as I finish using them.

So there are times where I'll have 3 tabs open and then 5 minutes later it'll be up to 20. And 20 minutes later it'll be back down to 3 after finishing up what I want to do with the tabs I had open.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • The most tabs I ever have open is when I first log on in the morning/evening. I open plug.dj, 6 forums, a couple of etherpads to see if anyone's done anything, and then I start going through each forum opening 5 threads at a time because anymore and my laptop will have a seizure. So at most I should only have ~15 tabs open. And if I finish posting/looking through it I close it. There's no point in keeping half of that stuff open. I usually leave the etherpads and plug.dj open as well as one or two forums on pc but that's it.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I mostly keep 4 taps and under since I use chrome and the more tabs open the more memory it consumes. It basically keep my laptop at normal pace

Years
  • Definitely yes.. Chrome would be flooded otherwise. I am a neat freak with tabs and close ones I don't use almost immediately. :D; At most I'd have 2-5 tabs open at once; anything over that is a rarity.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I try to keep my tabs at a limit. However, I'm on a dozen places at once, so it's hard to really keep it small. I do a dozen things such as writing and creating characters for my stories. I also have Livejournal, Facebook, Twitter and another forum I'm on... yeah, I know a lot. I like to keep up with places I'm on, so I try to keep the most important ones open.

I do close out the ones I'm not using or no longer need anymore. You know, just to free up the amount of ones I like to keep open permanently.

Back