• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
  • I'll probably be too busy tomorrow to keep up with the Bundesliga, I'll barely have the time to keep up with our game away to Charlton. It will be interesting to see how Guardiola starts off as Bayern manager though.

Is that itv4 broadcast a highlights show, Amore?

Years
  • Bayern currently 2-0 up vs Monchengladbach with 30 mins gone.

Edit: Dante with own goal for 2-1

Edit 2: Game ends 3-1 to Bayern after a questionable penalty decision. Shame because Ter Stegen saved the penalty they'd taken literally seconds before. Bayern did enough but they didn't look to have the "aura of invincibility" they had last season. They were cut apart easily by Gladbach in counter-attacks but Bayern were helped by Gladbach's bad finishing, though to be fair Bayern has always had a tough time against Gladbach.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Hmm...not going especially well then - A loss to Dortmund (After buying their best player) then a less convincing win against Gladbach? I think people are finally going to realise Guardiola's not quite that good.
    And counter-attacks do seem to be his weakness - to the point that Fernando Torres managed to score against Barcelona in 2012 xD.

Out of interest, did Thiago appear? I like him as a player, but since he snubbed United I hope he rots on the bench.

Years
    • Seen today
    I think his use will depend whether or not Guardiola tries to turn them into Barcelona or just copy Heykes' all-conquering style (think I spellt his name right). Obviously when Schweinsteiger hits 50 and loses his pace (lol, doesn't have any - he'll fulfil the same role for another 10 years if needed) then Thiago'll have less competition. Still, you gotta think he has some plan seeing as apparently he was the first player Guardiola asked for.

TY

Aubameyang with a hattrick and a penatly by Lewandowski. Love seeing Aubameyang, what a player. I hope he scores many more goals.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • >Bradley Johnson scores
    He hits the target once a season and he had to use it in a friendly this time. Damn.

Holy ****, he did it again. 2 goals for BJ.

Looks Like Gary Hooper is going to be out injured for a while though, just got stretchered off.

Years
  • Aubameyang stole the show today with a hat trick debut against Augsburg. Game finished 4-0 in favor of Dortmund.

Leverkusen with a solid 3-1 win against stubborn Freiburg, Son heung min with debut league goal for Leverkusen. I'm so happy.

TY

I already liked Aubameyang in the friendly matches of Dortmund and seeing him in action for the Bundesliga making a hattrick. He came from Saint-Etienne and i barely had any idea what kind of player he was. He's gonna amaze us even more i guess.

Years
  • He's known for being an extremely overpowered player in FIFA.

However he was very good in real life last season at St Etienne, I saw some of his videos and he's very quick and good finisher. I think he was voted best African player in Ligue 1 that season.

Years
    • Seen today
    Yeah, I'd heard good things about Aubameyang. Not used him on FIFA (St Etienne aren't really a team I know, wouldn't use them just for one player). Glad to hear Lewandowski scored - even if he's being a dick about the Bayern move (And Dortmund likewise treating him the same, although to be fair I think he might be more pissed about breaking his pattern of 3 seasons then move - as he's still going to be key to Dortmund's title hopes.
    Also, Son's at Leverkusen? Never heard about that. And people say the Bundesliga's more competitve than the PL...

EDIT: So the Community Shield was...interesting. Valencia's requested No.25 back and been granted it? Not good - Fergie forced Ronaldo to have No.7. On the other hand he looked like half the man he was in 2011/12 again. Welbeck seems to contrast with his movement not matching up to the passes played to him, and being scared to shoot. Or perhaps he's a psychic and knew Van Persie would score with a deflection xD. Carrick getting MOM was a shocker...syke. Still one of the best midfielders in the prem. Anderson's name was spelled correctly, but that's the only good thing I saw from him compared to this time last year xD
    Still, United already have one trophy, and 2 wins in 8 is far better than 1 in 7 :D

Last edited:
    Years
  • This is the first year I haven't watched the Community Shield in a while, but I guess I didn't miss much. BBC seems to think Wigan made 5 subs, is that right? If so, it's just becoming a friendly match.

Years
    • Seen today
    I don't think they did...oh wait, yeah thinking about it they did. Still, the fact that we didn't bottle it against a Championship side who're now playing like a Championship side (let's be honest, if Coyle manages to take them down to League 1, no Championship side'll be snapping him up like Everton did for Martinez) is significant. It shows what everyone already really knows - pre-season means nothing, it's a PR stunt to make Asia feel included, and give the likes of Adnan Januzaj some time playing in the Red shirt.

Commentators were making comparisons between Zaha and pre-2006 World Cup Ronaldo...if a similar transformation were to happen that'd be great, but somehow seeing as he's English (As am I, hence my pessimism xD) he's probably going to disappoint. If he does turn world class though he's probably going to have to hit the weights :P

Years
  • I don't think Zaha is going to make that level. He's 20 and while he had a great season in the Championship, that really is all it was. A great season, not magnificent. Magnificent should surely be the minimum for a Man Utd player in the second division.

Tom Ince should turn out better (he's older but better), but they'll both be England players for a long time.

YogiOne

Fantasy Dreamer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2016
    I would just like to point out that five subs have always been allowed in the Community Shield and both teams competting usual use thier five subs but down to the meat of the matter something serious...

I'm hating this transfer window!!! Not because of the so called lack of "big name signings" but because of the media. I personally think more than ever the media is really blowing everything out of proportion. Today I sat and listened to a gentleman on fox soccer news speak about how Man Utd NEED to sell Wayne Rooney now so that their plan to sign Fellaini can go through.

That guy sat thier speaking as if he knew insider information that only David Moyes himself knows, It hasn't been announced that Man U has made a bid for Fellaini and already this guy is making it sounds as if it has to happen. Maybe I just get upset since I don't want Rooney to leave unless I truly hear he's unhappy and wants to go but right now the media looks like they really just want to fuel a fire that might not even be there.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • I've liked this transfer window because Norwich have (probably) gotten a lot stronger.

As for the media they're just filling time until something happens. They're employed to say things that stir up conversation and get their channel viewers, even if it is total bs. I mean take TalkSport....3.5 million listeners and it is 99% crap.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • They've been able to have 7 subs and use 5 in the community shield for as long as I can remember lol. (Much longer before the Premier League starting allowing 7 subs also).

Years
    • Seen today
    So basically what you're saying is its always been part over-hyped friendly (tough c'mon, when two of United / City / Chelsea / Arsenal (not for a long time xD) are involved its a little more competitive). I too am hating this transfer window: newest claim? United are going to swoop in and steal Bale from Madrid. I think everyone knows Levy's going to drag it out either to the final hour on September 2, or into next season. United won't be willing to wait that long. I do hope someone world class fills No. 7 (When you think of all the players who have worn it, Michael Owen was never going to live up to that, poor guy).

Back