• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Choosing the starter(In an interesting Way)

Years
So since I'm creating a Pokemon game which is Pokemon Dreams and Nightmares if you want to check out the story(although it is in ideas but it's something). Anyways what would you consider an interesting way of choosing a Pokemon or what would you consider like giving great Pokemon starters. By the way I don't mean like giving the player a moment of him being in trouble and then getting to choose his starter(was my original idea for the game) but something more profound. By what I mean of this is like the Professor tells you a deep story which makes you like want to choose a starter. Also by the second part I mean wouldn't it always be boring to choose regular starters(although I'm maybe planning to use the Sinnoh starters which I love)? So you can give like awesome ideas of like "How can I choose a Pokemon that would interest players to have"? Or just give a Pokemon that would be great to have as a starter.
947b0a8a53fbc464abc163ed07dd9bed.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy the discussion although I wrote a lot and even though it is a discussion it is also a way for me to improve my game.

PsyShockker

I'm not Great with ideas, but what if your rival stole the Pokémon and you help the Professor catching him. You find him and he tries to run away but the Police arrives and arrest him. The Professor gives you a reward which is choosing your starter.

Years
I'm not Great with ideas, but what if your rival stole the Pokémon and you help the Professor catching him. You find him and he tries to run away but the Police arrives and arrest him. The Professor gives you a reward which is choosing your starter.

Sounds interesting and I think it might fit the story for my game. What do you think about starters?

smocks

fiat lux
Years
Being the indecisive me, I like it when I'm taking a (personality) quiz (like in Mystery Dungeon) and whatever "nature" I get, I get that Pokémon because that Pokémon is like me :)
But otherwise, the suggestion earlier sounds really good ^^

Years
Being the indecisive me, I like it when I'm taking a (personality) quiz (like in Mystery Dungeon) and whatever "nature" I get, I get that Pokémon because that Pokémon is like me :)
But otherwise, the suggestion earlier sounds really good ^^

I know right I really liked that suggestion like it sounds so good that I already want to do it already but need to fix some events first XD.

KurisuSan

Lord of Reality
Years
That idea sounds a lot like a mix between what happens in GSC and RSE. As far as what starters go Sinnoh is by far my favorite. Infernape and Empoleon are my favorite starters. You could do a dark/fight/psychic starter trio, which is a nice break from the usual but is kinda broken if you choose the psychic mon as the rival will choose dark and it's immune to your STAB. You could choose different mons to be your starters like Exeggcute, Litleo, Tentacool or something like that. You could also do a poll and have everyone vote on their favorite type starters and then mismatch the gens like have Snivy, Charmander, and Piplup.

Years
That idea sounds a lot like a mix between what happens in GSC and RSE. As far as what starters go Sinnoh is by far my favorite. Infernape and Empoleon are my favorite starters. You could do a dark/fight/psychic starter trio, which is a nice break from the usual but is kinda broken if you choose the psychic mon as the rival will choose dark and it's immune to your STAB. You could choose different mons to be your starters like Exeggcute, Litleo, Tentacool or something like that. You could also do a poll and have everyone vote on their favorite type starters and then mismatch the gens like have Snivy, Charmander, and Piplup.

I'll think about the poll but for something else which is like what gen of Pokemon would you most likely want to see in the game and combinations of the gens and things like that.

Voultronix

Pokemon Fossil Creator
Years
Pokemon Uranium gives you a quiz which determines your pokemon and in that way that is super cool. i feel if anyway to randomly determine your starter is cool!

Back