• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bringing Originality back to Pokemon!

PokeStoneR

Soul Master
Years
  • ==== !BRINGING ORIGINALITY BACK TO POKEMON! version 2 ====

== Short Introduction ==

"These days we're lucky if we get a new feature that invisibly changes the strategic elements of the (pokemon) game." IGN editor Jack DeVries

Hey PoKeFaNs!

I am re-posting the post I already made, due to having posted it in the wrong section of the forum (noobie mistake, lol).

Basically, as Mr. Jack DeVries has pointed out, the pokemon games are unfortunately completely losing their touch of originality. I don't know if you have noticed, but the game is always the same, just with different maps and names. The story always starts out in a small village, where an inspiring trainer wants to beat the league and become a Pokemon master.
    This has worked out pretty well... for a while. Now it is just getting plain boring.

So. What am I proposing? Well, below I am going to post what I think would be a great and innovative version of Pokemon, completely changing the plot line and format of the game. I am just going to put some idea's down, but I would like YOU to post any other idea's you have. If they are acceptable, I will put them in and tag your name below.

Enjoy!

*R stands for "Rocket", so it would be "Pokemon - Team Rocket Version"
    If you have a better idea for a name, please post it below and I will consider replacing it.

== Plot ==
    After days of travel, you finally arrive in the Kanto Region. Being a Pokemon trainer would have been a great idea, if there weren't so many rookie trainers trying to follow Ash Ketchum's example. Professor Oak cannot help you, for now there are hundreds of new trainers that go to him for help. A series of events bring you to encounter Giovanni, the Team Rock Leader, who decides to offer you a position in his Team. You gladly accept, because there is pretty much nothing else you can do in Kanto now. You now work for Team Rocket! Your main objective of the game is increasing your rank and respect in the Team. Every time you complete very important missions, Giovanni will promote you and give you a Team Rocket badge, that will unlock new features of the game. At the end Giovanni will go insane, and try to bring chaos and disorder to Kanto, so you will ultimately stop him, defeat him, and become the BOSS of Team Rocket!

== Team Rocket Ranks ==
    1) Noobie Badge - Giovanni will give you this badge when you first encounter him. After making you choose between 3 rare Pokemon he stole, he will make you battle one of his henchmen, to prove your worth. When you past the test, he will gladly accept you into his Team, by giving you the Noobie Badge.
    2) Initiate Badge - There will be a time in the game where you encounter the Anti-Team Rocket , dedicated to bringing the evil Team Rocket down, and restoring peace to Kanto. You will infiltrate one of their bases and defeat the leader of that city. Giovanni will reward you by promoting you, giving you the Initiate Badge.
    3) Rocket Badge - While walking around Kanto, you will encounter one of the Team Rocket members, who will bring you to a new Team Rocket secret hideout, telling you that there is trouble and that you need to help. You will soon find out that the hideout has been raided by ATR (Anti-Team Rocket) members. You must defeat most of them, and save Giovanni who is under attack by one of the ATR leaders; Peter. After defeating him, Peter will run away, promising a re-match. Giovanni promotes you once again, officially making you a real Team Rocket member.
    4) Super Rocket Badge - Can you guess what this would be? Yes, infiltrating one of the ATR bases and defeating Peter for the second and last time.
    5) Special Command Badge - You remember those Rocket members that are always out in the field doing something evil? Those are special command, and you are aiming to become one of them. Every once in a while, you will find Rocket members battling ATR members, or trainers in a building. You must help them out as much as possible, and after a while Giovanni tell you that you have been doing a great job, and he will promote you to Special Command. You can now access all Rocket hideouts and area's.
    6) Ultimate Rocket Badge - This badge is basically reserved for all Giovanni's top men. In this part of the game, Giovanni has gone to Johto for a secret mission, so he will decide to leave you temporarily in charge of his Gym. After you defeat 5 Pokemon Trainers that challenge you, Giovanni will be back and will give you this whole speech on how you have proven yourself to him countless times. So he gives you an Ultimate Rocket Badge.
    7) Vice Badge - It's the final countdown between Team Rocket and ATR. Giovanni has decided to raid them in their main building in Saffron City, and he brings you with him, since you are one of his top men. After many battles with ATR members, you find yourself challenging the BOSS of ATR. When you defeat him, Giovanni will come in and send him away from Kanto forever. He then proceeds to promote you to the Vice-Leader of Team Rocket, taking charge whenever he is out of town.
    8) BOSS Badge - The Final Badge! Now that ATR is gone, Team Rocket can do whatever they want, and get away with it. Giovanni goes mad with power, and wants to bring chaos to the whole of Kanto by committing atrocious crimes. This is too much for you though ("This is not what I signed up for!" will be a line that you speak), and the only way you can stop him is to challenge him and ultimately defeat him. Once you do this, you send him into exile from Kanto, and take control of Team Rocket, restoring balance and peace to the region. You have now unlocked the Gym Challenges Minigame (see below).

== Kanto ==
    Kanto should remain faithful to the Anime and the past games. It should be much, much bigger though. The cities are:
    - Pallet Town
    - Viridian City
    - Pewter City
    - Cerulean City
    - Vermilion City
    - Lavender Town
    - Celadon City
    - Fuchsia City
    - Saffron City
    - Cinnabar Island
    With the addition of (all existent in the series):
    - Commerce City
    - Stone Town
    - Porta Vista
    - Sable City
    There should also be many Team Rocket & Anti-Team Rocket hideouts all over the region.

== Team Rocket Hideouts ==
    The higher the Rank, the more you can access!
    Furthermore, in every hideout there are secret area's that can only be accessed by higher rank Rocket members. These secret area's contain stolen Items and Pokemon, that can be sold to you for lower prices than the marts. Some bases would also contain Rocket training grounds, where you can battle other Rocket members to prove yourself and train your pokemon.

== Mini-Games ==
    1) The Gym Challenges - Having replaced Giovanni at the end of the game, you own all his possessions, including the Gym in Virdian City. The Mini-Game would be being the Gym Leader, and battling all those wanna-be Ash Ketchum's that I was mentioning earlier. Battle as many as you want!
    2) Classic Pokemon Challenge Through the course of the game, even though you are working for Giovanni and you pretty much have your hands full, you can also challenge all the Gym's AND the Elite Four.. Although, being a Team Rocket member, they won't be too happy in handing you their badges.
    3) Giovanni's Return! - If you have already got the BOSS Badge, and you have also defeated the Kanto League, something will happen. It is a random event, kind of like the latios/latias one in s/r. Giovanni will return to Kanto! He will be very, very hard to find though, because he will be hidden in caves, forests, or nearly inaccessible places. Depending luck, you might just find him somewhere. If you do, defeat him once again and he will give you a rare item, before disappearing from Kanto forever.

== Classic Pokemon Challenge ==
    Gym Leaders:
    - Brock, Pewter City --> BOULDER BADGE.
    - Misty, Cerulean City --> CASCADE BADGE.
    - Lt. Surge, Vermilion City --> THUNDER BADGE.
    - Erica, Celadon City --> RAINBOW BADGE.
    - Janine, Fuchsia City --> SOUL BADGE.
    - Blaine, Cinnabar Island --> VOLCANO BADGE.
    - Giovanni, Virdian City --> EARTH BADGE. (Or, after you have received the BOSS Badge, if you go to his room in the hideout, one of his items that you can pick up will be the Earth Badge)
    Elite Four:
    Elite 1. Will - Psychic Pokemon
    Elite 2. Koga - Poison Pokemon
    Elite 3. Bruno - Fighting Pokemon
    Elite 4. Gary - Various Pokemon
    Champion. Ash - Various Pokemon

== The Rival ==
    In every Pokemon game, there has to be a rival.
    This may not be the most original idea, but i'd be damned if there were no more Rivals in Pokemon. So I was thinking. Who could be the Rival?
    I personally believe that the Rivals should be Jesse&James. They have been part of Team Rocket since forever, and they hate the fact that you can just join the Team, and in no time win the bosses heart and get promoted over and over again.
    Jesse&James will be continuously trying to slow you down, take credit for what you have done, challenge you, try to steal your pokemon, etc...
    At the end of the game, when you have received the BOSS Badge, you can decide whether to dismiss Jesse&James, or forgive them. The choice would be 100% up to you and would not affect the progress of the plot.

== Criminality in the game / Rating ==
    You are working in an evil organisation, dedicated to committing crimes. Nevertheless, I would like to maintain the fragile and kind nature of the Pokemon, therefore the [player] never commits any crimes whatsoever. Infact, at the end, the [player] even stops Giovanni from committing crimes.
    So: no violent scenes, no bad language, no mature content, and a great moral story in the end = A great Pokemon game that can be played by anyone!

Well, I hope you all enjoyed reading my idea of an ideal Pokemon Game. It took me three hours to write, and I'm proud of having put every inch of energy into it.

You can comment on it, rate it, rant about it, suggest things to add to it, or you can just bump this thread :)

Kind Regards,
    PokeStoneR

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
    Years
  • Oh man oh man oh man....

I don't mean to put you down, but I've seen hundreds of game ideas based of putting you in the shoes of Team Rocket. I'm sorry, but its just not original. Let me put this out section by section:

Plot: Already discussed how its not that original. Plus, one does not become mad with power overnight. There has to be a logical reason why Giovanni goes insane, not just that its triggered because you need to be the Boss.

Team Rocket Ranks:
    A lot of these are triggered by seeing random events (TR VS ATR). So for most of the game do you just...walk around aimlessly, looking for stuff to do? Also, for the Ultimate Rocket Badge, what are you going to do, just have the player battle five trainers in a row with no heals? I don't know how you plan to execute getting these badges.

Classic Pokemon Challenge: The Pokemon League is what it sounds...a League. Like the NFL, it is legal and supervised by government laws. (Granted, outside Officer Jenny government is virtually inexistent, but hey, there has to be law for there to be outlaws) So you're telling me that you, a member of Team Rocket and a criminal, can just walk in and participate, and all that will happen is that the members of the League "won't be too happy?" If any member of Team Rocket tried to enter the challenge, he'd be arrested.

The Rival: Your game leaves little room for a rival. So if your game doesn't fit a rival...leave one out. Aren't you trying to be original?

Criminality in the Game: Team Rocket kidnaps and experiments on pokemon, and all the games have warranted an E rating so far. Listen. You cannot become the Boss of the largest crime syndicate in Kanto and not have committed a crime. That's like trying to enter the Mafia, but saying you don't want to do anything illegal. If you're going to be a part of a criminal organization in your game, the character is a criminal. That does not make the character bad, but it makes them a criminal.

One Last Note: The line "This is not what I signed up for!" Has become so overused its a cliche.

You have a very eager personality, and thats good for making games. But I'm afraid in your zeal, you rushed a bit into this game.

Back