• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Double Battlers! [Gen V RMT]

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Crummy title asside, let's begin.

This is my first team for Gen V, and my second team built from scratch since I started competetive battling, so I would like some opinions. This is a team built for double battles mainly, as they are my preferred battle types. I am not a fan of single battles. Also, I'm not very good at writing the summaries, so don't make fun... Please, leave your opinions.

Team Posing
    260.gif
    145.gif
    448.gif
    571.gif
    482.gif
    373.gif

Inspection

Lead
    Swampert.png

Swampert @ Leftovers
    Ability: Torrent
    Nature: Relaxed
    Evs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
    *Stealth Rocks
    *Ice Beam
    *Earthquake
    *Surf

Swampert leading a team that is based mostly around offense may seem strange, but it works. In a double battle, when paired with Zapdos, It can let off powerful Earthquakes, and in some cases Surf, without harming my team. Another thing, more than half of my team can pair nicely with Swampert, as they fly or levitate. If the situation is good, I can set up Steath Rocks. Swampert can counter many of todays threats such as Tyranitar, and top class dragons such as Mence or Dragonite. Heatran can also be countered. As for threats such as Ferrothorn, I can switch to Zoroark I-I mean Salamence and hit them hard with Flamethrower.

Lead Support

Zapdos.png

Zapdos @ Life Orb
    Ability: Pressure
    Nature: Timid
    Evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    *Discharge
    *Heat Wave
    *Roost
    *Roar

While Swampert Earthquakes, Zapdos Discharges in perfect harmony. The two can attack both of the opposing team members. As a guard for Swampert, Heat Wave stops grass types and the infamous Ferrothorn. If Stealth Rocks is set up by Swampert, Roar can be used effectively. Roost can help in staying alive for as long as possible.

My Cores

Lucario.png

Lucario @ Life Orb
    Ability: Inner Focus
    Nature: Adament
    Evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    *Swords Dance
    *Close Combat
    *ExtremeSpeed
    *Ice Punch

My favorite Pokemon of all time. This team was built upon him. I will not replace him. Lucario is pretty much the most powerful member. With nature and Evs pulling for attack, and decent speed, and STAB Close Combat, I can take out many threats-even the ones that resist fighting after a Swords Dance. I most often like to send him out into something he threatens. I get a free Swords Dance as they switch out. With Ice Punch, I can take out many threats weak to frostbite...

Zoroark.png

Zoroark @ Life Orb
    Ability: Illusion
    *Nasty Plot
    *Dark Pulse
    *Focus Blast
    *Flamethrower

Zoroark is a great Pokemon. When I send it out, people will be threatened by the Salamence they see. As they switch into something that can take on "Salamence", I get a free Nasty Plot. With a great move pool, Zoroark is a great addition to my team.

Azelf.png

Azelf @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Levitate
    *Psychic
    *Flamethrower
    *Grass Knot
    *Trick

Not so sure about this one. He was the last one I liked to having a team of six. I couldn't think of anything else. Good for power packed-hits?

Revenge Killer

Salamence.png

Salamence @ Life Orb
    Ability: Intimidate
    Nature: Jolly
    Evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    *Dragon Dance
    *Outrage
    *Brick Break
    *Earthquake

Comes in late-game to OHKO with Outrage after a boost if possible. Brick Break deal good damage and Earthquake included just because.

Sorry if the summaries get a little depleted toward the end. I was getting tired.

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Hello! Zoroark disguised as Salamence won't work since the real Salamence has INTIMIDATE! If Intimidate doesn't activate, then we all know it's Zoroark.

People could think it runs Moxie?

Also, your Salamence is Naive? It should be Jolly/Adamant.

Crunch / Outrage & Earthquake are all physical sooooo. Also Outrage/Earthquake/Brick Break work better, Crunch doesn't do much. I'm not much of a double battler so I can't really give a good rating.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • for your lucario i highly recommend the special attacking set because it base sp. attack is actually higher than its base physical attack, and lucario gets access to nasty plot =)

so, the move set could be:
    lucario @ life orb
    modest/timid nature

vacuum wave ( for a nice revenge kill)
    aura sphere for stab
    nasty plot
    shadow ball/ dragon pulse ( to hit ghosts and dragons, obviously)

note: vacuum wave is just there because i feel that having a priority move is useful, but feel free to replace it if you wasn't more type coverage.

hope i helped a little =)

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • People could think it runs Moxie?

Also, your Salamence is Naive? It should be Jolly/Adamant.

Crunch / Outrage & Earthquake are all physical sooooo. Also Outrage/Earthquake/Brick Break work better, Crunch doesn't do much. I'm not much of a double battler so I can't really give a good rating.

Yea, It's Jolly. I didn't have my game so I couldn't remember. Thanks for the suggestion on Brick Break, I will use it.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • for your lucario i highly recommend the special attacking set because it base sp. attack is actually higher than its base physical attack, and lucario gets access to nasty plot =)

so, the move set could be:
    lucario @ life orb
    modest/timid nature

vacuum wave ( for a nice revenge kill)
    aura sphere for stab
    nasty plot
    shadow ball/ dragon pulse ( to hit ghosts and dragons, obviously)

note: vacuum wave is just there because i feel that having a priority move is useful, but feel free to replace it if you wasn't more type coverage.

hope i helped a little =)

Dark Pulse > Shadow Ball/Dragon Pulse

Lucario @ Life Orb
    Trait: Steadfast
    EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    - Nasty Plot
    - Vacuum Wave / Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Aura Sphere
    - Dark Pulse

Nasty plot sets you up for a deathly sweep. Vacuum Wave can do quite a bit of damage at +2 and being a STAB. Hp Ice lets you hit Gliscor for a 1HKO, regardless of a +2 Aura Sphere is your main STAB. Dark Pulse hits everything else.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • Hello! Zoroark disguised as Salamence won't work since the real Salamence has INTIMIDATE! If Intimidate doesn't activate, then we all know it's Zoroark.

And I am aware of this. I could also easily swap spots of a Pokemon so Zoroark could transform into something else. My intentions on start were that other battlers wouldn't notice that intimidate isn't present.

I'm not so sure about changing Lucario to a Sp. Attacker. I've been rather successful in the past with it, but I will take this into consideration when I start testing this team. Thanks for your ratings, can anyone help me on what threats I may have problems countering?

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Rotom-W is going to be a major problem for your team if Zapdos is out of the picture. Even still, if Rotom-W is running HP Ice, it might give Zapdos a serious run for its money.

I recommend you run Choice Specs Azelf only because it can help with your water problem. It's not necessary to listen to as Azelf's base Attack and Special Attack are the same so... it's really up to you. I just figured I'd mention it.

Azelf @ Choice Specs
    Levitate
    252 Sp.Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
    Timid [+Speed; -Attack]
    - Psychic
    - Flamethrower
    - Grass Knot
    - Hidden Power [Fighting] / Trick

STAB Psychic will wreck and it's more reliable than Zen Headbutt. Flamethrower will sort out Steel types, same as Fire Punch but with extra power. I think the best part of this set is Grass Knot as it'll help take down Bulky Waters that will give this team a really hard time, plus it'll hit Tyranitar hard. HP Fighting will more or less function the same way against Tyranitar and it'll sort out Heatran.

I'm not too familiar with the dynamic of Double Battles. So I'm not that much of a help. ;-;

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Hello! Zoroark disguised as Salamence won't work since the real Salamence has INTIMIDATE! If Intimidate doesn't activate, then we all know it's Zoroark.

Moxie Salamence is a possibility. To be honest, I'd realize it wasn't a Salamence when it's not taking 25% from coming in to Stealth Rock rather than its ability.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • Rotom-W is going to be a major problem for your team if Zapdos is out of the picture. Even still, if Rotom-W is running HP Ice, it might give Zapdos a serious run for its money.

I recommend you run Choice Specs Azelf only because it can help with your water problem. It's not necessary to listen to as Azelf's base Attack and Special Attack are the same so... it's really up to you. I just figured I'd mention it.

Azelf @ Choice Specs
    Levitate
    252 Sp.Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
    Timid [+Speed; -Attack]
    - Psychic
    - Flamethrower
    - Grass Knot
    - Hidden Power [Fighting] / Trick

STAB Psychic will wreck and it's more reliable than Zen Headbutt. Flamethrower will sort out Steel types, same as Fire Punch but with extra power. I think the best part of this set is Grass Knot as it'll help take down Bulky Waters that will give this team a really hard time, plus it'll hit Tyranitar hard. HP Fighting will more or less function the same way against Tyranitar and it'll sort out Heatran.

I'm not too familiar with the dynamic of Double Battles. So I'm not that much of a help. ;-;

Thanks, I wasn't really sure about Azelf being on the team, but this sets looks useful. I'll give it a switch and try it out.

Moxie Salamence is a possibility. To be honest, I'd realize it wasn't a Salamence when it's not taking 25% from coming in to Stealth Rock rather than its ability.

Point taken. That is going to be a problem with Stealth Rock being common these times. I'll have to do something else when faced with the situation.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Point taken. That is going to be a problem with Stealth Rock being common these times. I'll have to do something else when faced with the situation.

Well, if you want a Dark Pokemon who has useful characteristics, Scrafty could be a good choice.
    560.gif

Scrafty @ Lum Berry
    Moxie
    252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
    Jolly [+Speed; -Sp.Attack]
    - Bulk Up
    - Crunch
    - Drain Punch
    - Ice Punch

Scrafty's got a whole mess of useful stuff. Plus the Bulk Up set really makes Scrafty's "okay" attack something to reckon with. Shed Skin is still a good ability if you want to run Rest. But look! He gets Moxie.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years

• Well, if you want a Dark Pokemon who has useful characteristics, Scrafty could be a good choice.
    560.gif

Scrafty @ Lum Berry
    Moxie
    252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
    Jolly [+Speed; -Sp.Attack]
    - Bulk Up
    - Crunch
    - Drain Punch
    - Ice Punch

Scrafty's got a whole mess of useful stuff. Plus the Bulk Up set really makes Scrafty's "okay" attack something to reckon with. Shed Skin is still a good ability if you want to run Rest. But look! He gets Moxie.
    That set could work, but it might need Hi Jump Kick for the extra power. If you're using Drain Punch, you can use Shed Skin so Scrafty has a chance to shrug off status.

Also, for Azelf, I'd recommend Psyshock over Psychic so it can deal with Chansey and Blissey more easily.

You can also use Scald or Roar over Surf on Swampert so it can support the team other than through Stealth Rock.

Back