• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you have a chronic illness?

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
Years
  • I've had astma since I was a little kid and need my inhalators almost daily.

At least it improved since I was a kid. Now I only need them either once a day (or sometimes once every 2 days) or if I had to do sudden bursts of energy (like running for my bus)

I can exercise though, if I build it up slowly. I usually still need them then, but not as fast as I would if I suddenly have to run without a warm up.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    i've got myself a case of BPD, anxiety, MDD, and honestly i have a few others but we'll just leave it at this.
    there's no need to pull out all these various terms to say my brain is dysfunctional.

it's difficult to manage somedays, but i'm doing my best.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I have anxiety disorder, but don't take any medications for it. At one point, it was so bad that the thought of anyone, whether I knew them or not, speaking to me terrorized me. I was afraid someone might even just say "hello" as I was passing and I'd panic if it happened. Thankfully, I've learned to manage better since then and things aren't nearly that bad. Some days are worse than others, but I'd like to think those are far and few in between. :)

I also have mild scoliosis which I don't think can be cured? But I know that they checked us for that in middle school and like, my mom just kind of brushed it off when I got a note back saying I needed to do this and that about it. THANKS MOM.

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    I suspect I gotta genetic heart disorder that'll lead me to get a pacemaker down the road. It means I can smoke guilt free you know.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • I have anxiety disorder, but don't take any medications for it. At one point, it was so bad that the thought of anyone, whether I knew them or not, speaking to me terrorized me. I was afraid someone might even just say "hello" as I was passing and I'd panic if it happened. Thankfully, I've learned to manage better since then and things aren't nearly that bad. Some days are worse than others, but I'd like to think those are far and few in between. :)

I took medication for my anxiety disorder / depression, but it only made it worse :pink_no: If I were even a few hours late taking the pill (twice a day, mind ye) I'd become irrational and start having suicidal thoughts and if no one intervened, I'd cut myself. I stopped taking that medication lol

I don't mind when people talk to me moreso, but I do feel uncomfortable and just keep hoping they're not going to become angry with me or hurt me somehow. I don't like being approached or looked at by strangers. It seems forcing me into situations where I have to talk to people or negotiate, share ideas, etc. causes a sudden, violent panic attack that lasts quite a bit and includes inconsolable sobbing, inability to swallow / eat, throat pain (like someone's strangling me and then stabbing me), hyperventilation, etc. Not fun.

I tried to tell my mum one time when I was on that medication how I was feeling, but she didn't believe me and shrugged it off. I had a mental breakdown in my room afterwards and started cutting. I had to phone my one teacher in order to be calmed down, and I felt so bad to put that teacher on the spot like that. But as you said,

Alli said:
    THANKS MOM.

I've only cut once during a mental breakdown related to anxiety in the last year :pink_nod: It was a feeling of abandonment and betrayal that led to it. It definitely isn't as frequent as before when I was depressed, so that's a plus! :pink_nod:

Anxiety is pretty sucky, though.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I took medication for my anxiety disorder / depression, but it only made it worse :pink_no: If I were even a few hours late taking the pill (twice a day, mind ye) I'd become irrational and start having suicidal thoughts and if no one intervened, I'd cut myself. I stopped taking that medication lol

I don't mind when people talk to me moreso, but I do feel uncomfortable and just keep hoping they're not going to become angry with me or hurt me somehow. I don't like being approached or looked at by strangers. It seems forcing me into situations where I have to talk to people or negotiate, share ideas, etc. causes a sudden, violent panic attack that lasts quite a bit and includes inconsolable sobbing, inability to swallow / eat, throat pain (like someone's strangling me and then stabbing me), hyperventilation, etc. Not fun.

I tried to tell my mum one time when I was on that medication how I was feeling, but she didn't believe me and shrugged it off. I had a mental breakdown in my room afterwards and started cutting. I had to phone my one teacher in order to be calmed down, and I felt so bad to put that teacher on the spot like that. But as you said,

I've only cut once during a mental breakdown related to anxiety in the last year :pink_nod: It was a feeling of abandonment and betrayal that led to it. It definitely isn't as frequent as before when I was depressed, so that's a plus! :pink_nod:

Anxiety is pretty sucky, though.
    I barely knew what the thing was until I was looking at it as it happened. >_>

I remember it was back in July, maybe August, when it caught on. After I was left by my partner that week, I recall being in a cold/hot physical shock walking home from the mall, flying up the stairs and then falling down and convulsing on the ground. Afterwards in time I made so many countless walks to and from the shopping centre in Fountain, doing weird shit like buying fizzy drinks just to pour them onto the sidewalk, eating entire hamburgers in one bite and shoving fries into the burgers mangling them, and overall just basically spending my entire time awake panicking. I'd wake up and start panicking, get out of the house so I could go to the store, panic the whole way there, come back home and continue panicking until I passed out.

It was the least enjoyable experience I've ever had.

Thankfully it's over now, and I've chilled out well.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    I was diagnosed with chronic insomnia towards the end of last year. I don't like complaining about any sort of illness that I might have, since many people are a lot worse off; but it's tougher than it seems. A lot of the "cool kids!" love to say they're insomniac, or that they "never sleep", but honestly there's very little good about being awake more than you sleep. It's extremely difficult to get motivated, and to add to that it becomes quite difficult to keep yourself from going slightly mad from going to bed and not sleeping right until the moment the birds start singing outside your window.

Thankfully I've learned to deal with it, and tend to go through patches where I sleep a lot more than usual which are awesome. At the moment, I'm going through another stint of it, right now I'm posting this at 5AM with an exam in 4 hours. That's become a somewhat common occurrence for me due to this. I did learn one thing though, sleep therapists exist. They have a job title for everything these days.

Years
  • Reading quite the number of posts mentioning depression and that's not awfully surprising considering how prominent it has become lately.

I, myself, have been victim to depression back beginning in the summer of '12 until about the end of '13 where after seeking out the assistance of campus counselling and finally deciding to give up on pursuing a psychology degree, I dropped out of university to begin a career in IT, where my passion was to begin with. Could've saved myself the trouble of going through everything if I had maybe taken a victory lap following graduation, to at least figure out what exactly I wanted out of life. But I've since recovered from that stint. I had episodes following that major occurrence, but since getting my life back on track, they've rarely popped up.

Nakala Pri

Sweaty toe disorder. It's incurable and fatal and I'll never be able to wear socks without my bunions leaking soup.

Also I THINK I HAVE NO ATTENTION DEFISCATE DIRSORDER.

I can only listen to someone for two seconds. Tops.

Chief: '.... so after you retrieve the bomb blah blah blah and then you-' (takes twenty minutes
    Me: Sorry, I didn't catch that last bit.
    Chief: How much did you hear?
    Me. 'nothing after 'now listen carefully.'

DAMN MY QUOTING SKILZZ

i also have multiple personalities. But if I told anyone they'd think I was iamginging it. >:O

Back