• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ska punk/rock

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
So I've realized that three songs I really love are categorized as ska punk. Boy do I love this genre now. I only know of Oingo Boingo, Streetlight Manifesto, Goldfinger, and Less Than Jake.

Anyone know any other really good ska punk bands? What got you into this genre?

If you never heard of it, have a listen:

Last edited:

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
eh, I don't think Oingo Boingo are particularly ska-ish (more new wave than anything), but I do dig some songs by Streetlight Manifesto. can't get into most ska other than that, unfortunately, it's really hokey to me.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I guess you can check out The Specials (dunno much by them though), Sublime and Madness. Maybe also Reel Big Fish which is just a name that rings a bell for me but I think I've heard that they kinda suck. I can handle ska in small doses but find it gets kind of irritating after a short while (particularly Madness).

e: disregard Madness if you're dead set on ska punk.

LeahB

Le-ha88
Years
If you haven't already checked them out, I'd say Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Voodoo Glowskulls would be good to look into. There was a time when I was super into ska punk and knew a ton of different bands but I'm having trouble remembering them now, haha.

Oh, if you ever watched Boomerang, you might remember a punky song for the Jabberjaw music video. The band who did it is called Pain and even though they're not actually ska, a lot of people consider them to be because of the horns. Anyways, you might like them if you're interested in that type of music.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
Years
*Squee* I grew up on ska! When I was in elementary school, my older brother made me listen to a band called Mustard Plug - and I fell in love instantly.

When I hit high school, I discovered Streetlight Manifesto. Like the person a few posts above me, they're on a completely different level. Thomas is a serious masterpiece when it comes to writing and making songs. :)

Here's a link to the very first Mustard Plug song I had ever heard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPyj8y8wjgE

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
Years
Streetlight Manifesto is the only Ska Punk band that I really like. They're the most underrated band that I've ever heard. Luckily, they're local for me!

Also, their Keasbey Knights (which is THEIRS!) > Catch 22's

Back