• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo focusing on other titles beside mario this year. Good? Bad? The future?

Do you think no core mario in 2015 is a good thing?

• yes

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Z25

Team Player
Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Miyamoto has stated recently that there are no new core mario games this year. Obviously though maio maker is coming and mario party ten. So my question is, what do you think of this? Good or bad? Do you think it will help change their image from just mario, more? I Think this will be a good thing, and help them delvelop other franchises in their lineup and allow them to have more creative with future mario games. Your thoughts?

Source:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._star_fox_for_e3_a_future_for_f_zero_and_more

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    HURRAH

I honestly despise Mario - not because it's a lame series, as most of the games are really good fun, but for the fact Nintendo seem to milk it. Like, realistically most of the Mario games are small rehashes of one another on a new console/slightly different graphics.

There's also the ridiculously slow decline in the price of Mario games ;-; some are near full price despite being years old!

/cry

Years
  • I'm a little disappointed, but not surprised. I think we'll see a new one next year, perhaps for the New 3DS? Either way, there's no lack of Mario games this year, with Mario Maker, Mario Party 10 and Mario vs. Donkey Kong Wii U all due out at some point during 2015.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I'm glad to see Nintendo trying some new things instead of dwelling on the ones that they already have. I think that it could be a good year for Nintendo, but it could also be a disaster. We will see, I suppose.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    It is good to have other focus. I do think mario is getting to milked atm as well. I hope that most focus goes to making splatoon, project guard and giant robot, Codenake steam, and whatever other new ips they may be planning. I also hope this interview mean f zero could potentially be revived. I would love to see that in HD. And i agree that zelda will be a big focus with zelda u and MM3d coming out, maybe even star fox as well.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I feel like they've rushed, or rather pumped out too many Mario games in the past couple of years. It will be good to see them focusing on other titles and franchises and I'm interested to see what approach they take for this year.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    If by 'core' Mario game you mean the 3D platformers, then this is normal. There's only been 2 3D Mario platformers this generation, and they're Super Mario 3d Land and Super Mario 3d World, which are on two different consoles. The Wii generation saw 2 3D Mario platformers in Super Mario Galaxy 1+2, both on Wii. Gamecube only saw 1 in Mario Sunshine. I don't think the 3d Mario is being milked to be honest. Maybe the Mario name in general, but most games are so different can you really just label them all as 'Mario' games?

For example, Super Mario 3D World is a 3D platformer, while Mario Tennis is a sports game. They're completely different genres, and Mario Tennis could be any old tennis game, they just slapped Mario's name on it because he's pretty much their mascot. The New Super Mario Bros. series is a 2D platformer and plays differently to the 3D Marios, and pretty much all other Mario games that aren't in the same style. And there's one per console.

I think it seems like Mario games are getting milked more than they are because Nintendo are putting out both consoles and handhelds and naturally having flagship Mario games on both, but also throwing Mario's name on any old sports, racing, and party game that they can. The real core Mario games aren't being run into the ground in my opinion.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    It's about time. That explains why the only Mario game we're getting this year so far is Mario Maker. Though it is weird considering it's the 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. You'd think they would do something more grand for Mario.

Yukari

Since Mario tends to be everywhere nowadays, and I'm glad that they're focusing on something different this time around.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    If by 'core' Mario game you mean the 3D platformers, then this is normal. There's only been 2 3D Mario platformers this generation, and they're Super Mario 3d Land and Super Mario 3d World, which are on two different consoles. The Wii generation saw 2 3D Mario platformers in Super Mario Galaxy 1+2, both on Wii. Gamecube only saw 1 in Mario Sunshine. I don't think the 3d Mario is being milked to be honest. Maybe the Mario name in general, but most games are so different can you really just label them all as 'Mario' games?

For example, Super Mario 3D World is a 3D platformer, while Mario Tennis is a sports game. They're completely different genres, and Mario Tennis could be any old tennis game, they just slapped Mario's name on it because he's pretty much their mascot. The New Super Mario Bros. series is a 2D platformer and plays differently to the 3D Marios, and pretty much all other Mario games that aren't in the same style. And there's one per console.

I think it seems like Mario games are getting milked more than they are because Nintendo are putting out both consoles and handhelds and naturally having flagship Mario games on both, but also throwing Mario's name on any old sports, racing, and party game that they can. The real core Mario games aren't being run into the ground in my opinion.
    True but i mean the 3d world and/ or games like galaxy happening. Although maybe a third galaxy would qualifiy for spinoff but i doubt it. However i wouldn't be surprised to see either mario galaxy 3, another main mario, or an hd remake of something like sunshine announced at E3 for 2016 maybe.

It's about time. That explains why the only Mario game we're getting this year so far is Mario Maker. Though it is weird considering it's the 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. You'd think they would do something more grand for Mario.

While surprising, i am quite happy with mario maker as it can support it'self for years to come and has been something wanted by fans for years. I really like the looks of it and there seem be no boundarys. Maybe it will lead to things like zelda maker, when it succeeds as it seems to have become quite popular already, and should sell well. But there is also talks of an animated mario movie, through those leaked sony emails but that may or may not come to light but if it does maybe the movie will be for the anniversary?

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2015
    As fun as Mario is this is pretty good. We could go a few years without Mario. maybe some news ips :)

Reactions: Z25

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Ah, the old argument of Mario games being milked...

Here are the recent core console releases:
    2006 - NOTHING
    2007 - Super Mario Galaxy (platformer)
    2008 - NOTHING
    2009 - New Super Mario Bros. Wii (sidescroller)
    2010 - Super Mario Galaxy 2 (platformer)
    2011 - NOTHING
    2012 - New Super Mario Bros. U (sidescroller)
    2013 - Super Mario 3D World (platformer)
    2014 - NOTHING
    2015 - NOTHING

Three main serieses with two or three years between each. I think that's a pretty good balance

Nintendo had a good 2014 I think, without a major Mario release. Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Captain Toad. And 2015 is shaping up to be great too - Splatoon, Kirby, Yoshi, Star Fox, Mario Maker, etc.

So... everything is good

Last edited:
    Reactions: Hi!

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Ah, the old argument of Mario games being milked...

Here are the recent core console releases:
    2006 - NOTHING
    2007 - Super Mario Galaxy (platformer)
    2008 - NOTHING
    2009 - New Super Mario Bros. Wii (sidescroller)
    2010 - Super Mario Galaxy 2 (platformer)
    2011 - Super Mario 3D Land (platformer/sidescroller)
    2012 - New Super Mario Bros. U (sidescroller)
    2013 - Super Mario 3D World (platformer)
    2014 - NOTHING
    2015 - NOTHING

Three main serieses with two or three years between each. I think that's a pretty good balance

Nintendo had a good 2014 I think, without a major Mario release. Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Captain Toad. And 2015 is shaping up to be great too - Splatoon, Kirby, Yoshi, Star Fox, Mario Maker, etc.

So... everything is good

What about new super mario bros 2 for 3ds, with all the coins? Wasn't that 2011 or 2012? I consider that main series to. But that in its's self could be debated as to whatever or not it really is. As for the rest of the timeline it seems to be fine and correct.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    If you count the NSMB series as mainline, then there are two mainline series going at the same time. But looking at the 3D games..

Galaxy 1 was in 2007. The next one was Galaxy 2 in 2010. That's three years between 2 mainline 3d titles. The next one was a year later, but was on 3ds. The next console one was another 3 years later than Galaxy 2.

The only time where they really like bleeding Mario dry is with the NSMB series. NSMB2 and NSMBU both came out in the same year. If you consider the NSMB series as core Mario, then in that regard it may have been a little excessive. But I guess the excuse for that was that they wanted a NSMB game on each console, and the 3DS and Wii U releases happened to be very close together.

The actual 3D Mario games are not being milked and have quite a large amount of time between each one, with the exception of Super Mario 3D Land.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2015
    Truth is Mario is not needed for 2015. Splatoon,Devil's Third,Star Fox,Zelda U,Xenoblade and possibly FE X SMT plus Mr.Miyamoto said new games will be shown at E3 we don't know about. Granted they may not be this year but it seems for 2015 they are good. If we could only get 3rd party support that would be icing on the donut.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    Truth is Mario is not needed for 2015. Splatoon,Devil's Third,Star Fox,Zelda U,Xenoblade and possibly FE X SMT plus Mr.Miyamoto said new games will be shown at E3 we don't know about. Granted they may not be this year but it seems for 2015 they are good. If we could only get 3rd party support that would be icing on the donut.

Seems a little late for the Wii U to be getting third-party support at this point. And saying "Mario is not needed" is a little optimistic considering the Wii U's performance. Sure it may have picked up thanks to Smash and Mario Kart, and maybe 3D World, but stuff like Devil's Third, FExSMT and maybe Xenoblade and Splatoon aren't gonna have anywhere close to the success that a Mario game would have. Sure, Zelda is big and Star Fox might perform well, plus Nintendo may well have a great E3, but the aforementioned games are pretty niche honestly, maybe with the exception of Splatoon that might garner a following.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2015
    Seems a little late for the Wii U to be getting third-party support at this point. And saying "Mario is not needed" is a little optimistic considering the Wii U's performance. Sure it may have picked up thanks to Smash and Mario Kart, and maybe 3D World, but stuff like Devil's Third, FExSMT and maybe Xenoblade and Splatoon aren't gonna have anywhere close to the success that a Mario game would have. Sure, Zelda is big and Star Fox might perform well, plus Nintendo may well have a great E3, but the aforementioned games are pretty niche honestly, maybe with the exception of Splatoon that might garner a following.

But I keep hearing a lot of gamers/Nintendo fans saying they were wish Nintendo would step away from Mario for a bit for different stuff. Granted I am unsure what Nintendo fans want since some say they want more grown up games like PS and Xbox and than some say those would pollute Nintendo's name. If we do get a Mario in 2016/2017 I would be ok with it. I'm not saying no Mario.

Years
  • I wouldn't mind as much as long as a ported Super Mario Galaxy 1 and/or 2 come to Wii U. Most likely not though. Oh well I'd love to see what amazing things will be release and revealed this year.

Back