• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

X&Y's impact on competitive battling.

FlamingRage

Can you feel my rage?
Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    I honestly don't think fairy type is going to help balance the metagame much. They have just made dragon type much easier to counter, but a pure fairy type is only weak to steel and poison. steel doesn't have many notable attackers (correct me if I'm wrong, cause at the moment I'm only thinking of Scizor, Metagross and Lucario) And now has to worry about dark types. Poison types tend to be slow and are weak to two types that are known for having great attack and spacial attack stats, ground and psychic, which are both unaffected by the type chart update.

The way I see it, while we just got rid of an over powered type, we also just got a new one.

(also, Mawile is the new Kingdra. But better.)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Gengar is going to see a LOT of usage in OU when X/Y roll around. It has STAB Shadow Ball to smack around Metagross and Jirachi supereffectively. It also has STAB Sludge Bomb to hit Fairies hard. Of course, Focus Blast may still be used to hit other Steels supereffectively, like Ferrothorn.

FlamingRage

Can you feel my rage?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    Gengar is going to see a LOT of usage in OU when X/Y roll around. It has STAB Shadow Ball to smack around Metagross and Jirachi supereffectively. It also has STAB Sludge Bomb to hit Fairies hard. Of course, Focus Blast may still be used to hit other Steels supereffectively, like Ferrothorn.

>.<
    Knew I was forgetting something when I posted about poison types being slow.

let's all hope and pray that smogon doesn't handle pokemon with mega evolutions like they treated Blaziken when he got access to speed boost.

One more prediction: Uber 2. For Ubers that are too strong for normal Ubers.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    >.<
    Knew I was forgetting something when I posted about poison types being slow.

let's all hope and pray that smogon doesn't handle pokemon with mega evolutions like they treated Blaziken when he got access to speed boost.

One more prediction: Uber 2. For Ubers that are too strong for normal Ubers.

Ubers is a ban list nothing more so a ban list wouldnt have a ban list, that would be silly.

I can see sub gar being annoying in XY with it having alot less checks and counters thanks to the steel nerf and poison becoming relevant to hit fairies. Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb/Focus Blast/Sub sounds fun to face. Not lol.

Years
  • Gengar is going to become an even bigger menace as already mentioned. What I thought was Gengar's hindrance, Ghost/Poison typing (as it makes Gengar susceptible to Psychic), is now quite a strong asset that Gengar has going for it.

Fairy is a good defensive typing though, as their only two weaknesses come from two of the least recognized attacking types, Poison and Steel. That being said, however, those two types will definitely get increased usage.

I don't think Steel losing its resistance against Ghost and Dark is a huge disadvantage in general, though it'll take some time to get used to.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Hmm... I'm worried about fairies becoming overpowered. Gengar is definitely going to see more usage, and possibly Toxicroak. I think we should be fine as long as Gamefreak doesn't give fairy types high stats like they did to dragons. It'll be funny to see everyone using all these different pokemon, trying to see what's actually good and everything. This is going to be weird for me, as this will be the first time new pokemon will be introduced. I've done well in the CAP tier, hopefully I'll do well here too.

Years
  • Hmm... I'm worried about fairies becoming overpowered. Gengar is definitely going to see more usage, and possibly Toxicroak. I think we should be fine as long as Gamefreak doesn't give fairy types high stats like they did to dragons. It'll be funny to see everyone using all these different pokemon, trying to see what's actually good and everything. This is going to be weird for me, as this will be the first time new pokemon will be introduced. I've done well in the CAP tier, hopefully I'll do well here too.

Gengar is going to become an even bigger menace as already mentioned. What I thought was Gengar's hindrance, Ghost/Poison typing (as it makes Gengar susceptible to Psychic), is now quite a strong asset that Gengar has going for it.

Fairy is a good defensive typing though, as their only two weaknesses come from two of the least recognized attacking types, Poison and Steel. That being said, however, those two types will definitely get increased usage.

I don't think Steel losing its resistance against Ghost and Dark is a huge disadvantage in general, though it'll take some time to get used to.

I do have to agree with you two, Gengar might see more usage in OU not just because of Fairy-types but also the fact they removed Steel's resistance to Dark and Ghost, making Bronzong, Jirachi and Metagross more vulnerable to its Shadow Ball, plus it has Sludge Bomb to deal with Fairy-types assuming they don't have a second type that Poison is resisted by.

Given Fairy's two weaknesses aren't very common attacking types, it's safe to say it will be a good defensive type, and it can do that even better if paired with the right types. Now if there were more physical Fairy-type attacks expect Azumarill to become one heck of a great Dragon counter. Steel's nerfing could see Jirachi drop a tier, maybe even Metagross to a lesser extent. The 4x Fairy weakness is also a reason I could see Hydreigon going to UU, but it depends on which powerful Fairy-types we'll be seeing dominating the OU metagame.

I could see the likes of Salamence running Iron Tail or Hydreigon running Flash Cannon just to get past Fairy-types. The Fairy-type could also see less usage of Choice Item sets on Dragons and of course less usage of Draco Meteor and Outrage since a Fairy-type can switch in and absorb the hit.

FlamingRage

Can you feel my rage?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    Ubers is a ban list nothing more so a ban list wouldnt have a ban list, that would be silly.

uhhh, no. Ubers was a rather popular metagame last I checked. There's no reason they shouldn't try to keep it balanced as well.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • ..so with the changes made to the type-chart does this mean that Specs Doom Desire Jirachi will see some use now other than on my gimmicky Gen IV team? ;)

Other than that, Poison actually seems to be a decent type now with resists to Poison, Gass, Fighting, Fairy, and Bug, as well as with some small nerfs to Steel allows things such as Gengar and Skuntank (hahaha) plow through Scizor and the likes, not to mention Fairies. 2xic-4drag combo to get rid of fairies anyone?

Years
  • I think we all know that Fairy's strengths and weaknesses are going to change a lot of things, (Imagine being able to switch into Draco Meteor or Outrage for free, basically) but something else to watch for is that Steel lost two of its resistances, to Dark and Ghost, if I remember right. Throw in Fairy's immunity to Dragon, and it's become clear that they're trying to take Dragon and Steel down a peg, and even things out in terms of strength and usage.

Something else I'd like to see is well, less weather overall, and something or someway to deal with SR better. Something else I'd REALLY like to see is Fire types become a little more viable, hopefully that Pyroar Pokemon has the stats to go with that awesome design.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • Yeah, unless Pyroar has an awful stat spread or a terrible movepool it will definitely be common. Its the only Pokemon to resist Fairy and Ghost, and it comes with Unnerve support. Anything that relies on the common Chople, Occa, Yache, Shuca, Haban, Chesto, Sitrus & Lum berries will get roasted.

It seems like they really wanted to nerf Dragon and Fighting, and probably did it too harshly. Dark seems to have been thrown in with them, for some reason, which is pretty lame.

Also, does this mean Metagross OHKOs itself with Foul Play? Lol

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • In the Gen VI metagame, I can see Dragons like Garchomp and Haxorus running Iron Head/Tail just to get past Fairies. In Ubers, Dialga can do the same with Iron Tail or Flash Cannon; it never even used its Steel STAB ever.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    In the Gen VI metagame, I can see Dragons like Garchomp and Haxorus running Iron Head/Tail just to get past Fairies. In Ubers, Dialga can do the same with Iron Tail or Flash Cannon; it never even used its Steel STAB ever.

Me said:
    unless we get a levitating fairy, Garchomp wont have to stray from the flawless Ground/Dragon/Fire coverage as STAB EQ will maul grounded fairies just fine whilst fire still maintaining coverage against things like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Forretress and Bronzong etc.

Fairies niche will probably be walling weaker, less hard hitting ones such as Lati@s, Dragonite, Kingdra, Hydreigon etc.

Garchomp and Haxorus get Swords Dance and as thus are harder to wall as they hit ALOT harder than the aforementioned, the former having STAB EQ to contend as i said earlier and the latter having great neutral coverage and base 147 atk.

Also super effective Iron Head hits fairies with 10 more power than Garchomp's STAB EQ and Iron Tail has horrible accuracy aka honestly its not worth using a steel move on chomp.

Id probably only even think about using on a weak scarf set or as a filler move.

uhhh, no. Ubers was a rather popular metagame last I checked. There's no reason they shouldn't try to keep it balanced as well.

Umm yeahno, really go and learn about it, its a ban list. It may be a playable metagame but its just a ban list at the end of the day so it isnt going to be balanced. Did you even think before you typed? If it wasnt then things like Arceus would be banned from it lol, also why do you think there hasnt been any higher tier than ubers in any gen?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tier#Uber

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Umm yeahno, really go and learn about it, its a ban list. It may be a playable metagame but its just a ban list at the end of the day so it isnt going to be balanced. Did you even think before you typed? If it wasnt then things like Arceus would be banned from it lol, also why do you think there hasnt been any higher tier than ubers in any gen?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tier#Uber

All tiers are effectively ban lists for the one below. You can't use Ubers in anything below uber.

You can't use OU in anything below OU.

You can't use UU in anything below UU.

You can't use RU in anything below RU.

The entire concept of a tier list is an effective ban list for those who play in lower tiers.

Uber tier itself is no holds bar, everything goes in the Fan made competitive play.

You are also better off linking to Smogon if you want to sound like you know what you are talking about. Its better at keeping its play information as up to date as possible and is the leading site in terms of metagame regulations.

Clause and Banlists via Smogon. So really, read before you decide to post. While effectively you are right about Uber being a "Ban List" it is not just a ban list. In any Metagame, unless specifying a tier all Pokemon are available for play. Only until you specify a tier in which you are participating and using their rules do any form of ban lists appear. If you play NU like majority of PC, then everything from RU and up is banned from use because they belong to a different tier.

It is a rather popular Metagame list. It IS a metagame format. AND it is a Ban List ONLY if you are playing in a tier below it.

All of this is also moot when you look at "Official Metagame rules" which are made by TPC. This list has no Tiers and follows more along the lines of the "Uber" list with the only exception of ALL Event related Legendary Pokemon:
    Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy (Phione by association), Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect.

Box Art Legendary Pokemon:
    Lugia, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem.

Leaving Mewtwo banned due to sheer power and Chatot banned due to Chatter.

Those are the only Pokemon banned from official tournaments and in official Metagames.

So depending on where you want to see what is on the ban list, depends on what Metagame you play. Unofficial anything not registered in or below your immediate Tier is banned. That's how the unofficial (Smogon) Tier lists works. Its entire existance is essentially a fully detailed Ban list to balance out variously different tournament types for different play styles of people.

I've said my peace concerning the Fairy types back in the X and Y forum. I do not see many of them really doing anything. I don't see many getting any practical use due to being fairly weak. Type is ok, but you need more than type. If they don't have the stats to back up their immunity then they won't be used as much. Look at Ice types. Its better to use their attacks than the Pokemon. If the Fairy Pokemon are weak stat wise, I see more of their attacks being utilized by other Pokemon than them.

Mawile and Azumarill being the only two exceptions but both will have to contend with their own checkers which may become more common, one for Marill/Azumarill being Tentacruel who is an effective shield against the tiny little water rodent tank.

The biggest change X and Y is bringing to the table IMO is the removal of Ghost and Dark from Steel's resistances. Metagross, Jirachi, and Bronzong lose two neutral damages and gain two weaknesses. Likewise the new Honedge now has to fear Ghost and Dark types as well.

A really good thing is Sableye and Spiritomb no longer have no weaknesses due to type match up.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Clause and Banlists via Smogon. So really, read before you decide to post.

Unneeded really because it doesnt explain how tiers work.

Anyway, a few things

1. I linked there because it explained tiers? It would have been the same if i linked to smogon, which ill do now ive found the link.http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/bw_tiers Oh look it says the same thing as bulba, regardless most of that was pretty irrelevant. Its even more irrelevant because judging by your posts you didnt read what i was even responding to, which my point in a nutshell "there is no point in a tier above ubers because its a ban list and its pointless it being balanced". That was it and nothing more.
    2. Ubers primary function IS a ban list (i.e it doesnt need balance see: my previous post). Just as BL is to UU. The only difference is BL doesnt have a metagame. Everything else is usage based. :/
    You are also better off linking to Smogon if you want to sound like you know what you are talking about.
    Ah an unneeded dig. Regardless im pretty sure i know what im talking about considering, i dont know, ive been to #1 in basically every relevant tier on smogon this gen and last?

Last edited:
    Years
  • In the Gen VI metagame, I can see Dragons like Garchomp and Haxorus running Iron Head/Tail just to get past Fairies. In Ubers, Dialga can do the same with Iron Tail or Flash Cannon; it never even used its Steel STAB ever.

Iron Head will be very useful on Pokemon who can use it. On Pokemon like Salamence, however, Iron tail will probably be the Steel-type equivalent of Stone Edge/Focus Blast unless they get a new Steel-type move to use.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Can we please drop this whole unneeded argument about Ubers? Ubers, BL, BL2, and BL3 are all tiers whose main function is to act as a ban list for the tiers below them. Ubers is only a playable metagame because it has enough Pokemon to be one. There isn't going to be a tier above Ubers because Ubers is meant to be "a 'free-for-all metagame with no restrictions on which Pokemon may participate." The only rules in Ubers are clauses, and even then, they have been trying to remove them as of late.

Years
  • Yeah, unless Pyroar has an awful stat spread or a terrible movepool it will definitely be common. Its the only Pokemon to resist Fairy and Ghost, and it comes with Unnerve support. Anything that relies on the common Chople, Occa, Yache, Shuca, Haban, Chesto, Sitrus & Lum berries will get roasted.

It seems like they really wanted to nerf Dragon and Fighting, and probably did it too harshly. Dark seems to have been thrown in with them, for some reason, which is pretty lame.

Also, does this mean Metagross OHKOs itself with Foul Play? Lol

If I had to guess, I bet its stat spread will be preeeeettty similar to Luxray's. Average to poor defenses, Good attacking stats, middle-of-the-road speed, probably decent HP. I am skeptical about the movepool - Aside from what move it gets, I think a lot rides on whether its moves are primarily physical or special. If it gets screwed over in that department, it'll basically be a Gen VI Flareon.

The other big thing will be that Heatran has now basically become the God of X&Y with a 4x Fairy resistance. (Both Steel & Fire resist it, with steel being SE to Fairy) It can maul Steel, Fairies and Dragons, and is immune to the hopefully pumped up Poison type. Ground weakness is still an issue, but a balloon takes care of that, and Fighting is weak to fairy, so expect it to have great team synergy with Fairies, maybe a bulky Azumarill or a yet-to-be-named one.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    unneeded dig/10

Anyway, a few things

1. I linked there because it explained tiers? It would have been the same if i linked to smogon, which ill do now ive found the link.http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/bw_tiers Oh look it says the same thing as bulba, regardless most of that was pretty irrelevant. Its even more irrelevant because judging by your posts you didnt read what i was even responding to, which my point in a nutshell "there is no point in a tier above ubers because its a ban list and its pointless it being balanced". That was it and nothing more.
    2. Ubers primary function IS a ban list. Just as BL is to UU. The only difference is BL doesnt have a metagame. Everything else is usage based. :/
    3. Once again an unneeded dig. Regardless im pretty sure i know what im talking about considering, i dont know, ive been to #1 in basically every relevant tier on smogon this gen and last?

You obviously know nothing about it then. No its not just a ban list. If it were just a ban list then you could not use anything on that list. Learn to actually read what is in front of you instead of trying to correct other people when you cannot even post correct information.

Uber is its own Tier. It has nothing higher than it because it is an "Anything Goes" tier. It still has its own set of rules that must be followed just like every other tier. As the tiers go downward the rules get stricter.

The entire CONCEPT OF A TIER LIST IS TO BAN. The tiers themselves however are not just ban lists. They are their own entities of separate specified fields of play.

Your entire response is unneeded and full of misinformation.

So, take your three points which are as meaningless as your attempt to correct others and keep it to yourself. Ubers are their own tier whether you want to admit it. They are their own form of play. Its an open form of play and is NOT primarily a Ban List. If it is, then the primary function to every Tier is to be a Ban list as you cannot use Pokemon within upper tiers in lower tiers. Ubers themselves can move off of the Uber Tier just like any other Pokemon can move in and out of their own respective tier lists with proper usage.

And if memory serves, there were two Pokemon currently in the Uber lists that, for a time were Banned from even that tier for use.

One point on a Pokemon from the Yber list dropping: Wobbuffett. It has been Uber since Gen 3 and dropped to BL in Gen 5. If it were simply a Ban list why would a Pokemon that for 2 Generations be on the top list then suddently drop back down? It wasn't used nearly as much is one answer. Its still an OP nuisance. Its counters haven't changed all to much, there are a few extra ways to bypass its ability, but its still as capable as it has been since its days as an Uber.

With Fairy type, Garchomp may fall out of Uber. Its still an insane powerhouse that can sweep through a team, but it may not see as much use unless its Mega Form provides so much of a boost that its the main reason to keep Garchomp in Uber.

All the lists change. Uber is no exception to this and still falls under use because the ones in there are insanely strong. All Tiers also present a specific Power gauge. Which is why they are banned from competing below their set tiers. Pokemon in RU are considered to be more powerful and cause an unfair gap in NU teams, therefore they are banned from use in NU. And yes that is written in Smogon in each explanation of the tiers. Each tier on the way down is weaker than the one above.

This makes each tier its own separate entity. OU consists of everything below it, with the actual OU list being the top of what is considered to be OU Standards. UU is the very top of what is considered UU Standard. Everything in OU is considered too powerful to compete in UU and therefore they are banned from use in UU styled play.

THAT is what the tier list is. It itself is a Ban list to keep upper tiers from being used in the lower tiers, but the Tiers themselves are styles of gameplay used in the competitive metagame. Uber is a competitive style that is equivalent to a Battle Royal where no one is barred entry regardless of power. It is the strongest Tier and like all tiers it will cycle in and out. The Pokemon used in Uber are eventually going to fall from grace due to system or content shifts like the current changes.

Mawile has potential to make it all the way up to UU with her new found typing, Ability, Mega Form, and possible Move set change. Azumarill has the ability to make it into OU thanks to her type change alone seeing as she already has a powerful ability.

Charizard has a chance to move out of NU and up to UU in Drought teams, and Venusaur can move up from OU if the people that use him can find him a decent move set to go with his new found resistance to two of his weaknesses cutting the number of attacks to be used against him in half. Venusaur is already an OU Pokemon thanks to the B/W update to it and it still has potential to move further up.

If Blissey becomes a Fairy Type she can be moved into Uber as her only weaknesses are Steel and Poison, both of which aren't even close to common in Uber and she tanks everything in it. The only thing Blissey has to fear in Uber is Dialga, Genesect and Excadrill. Two of which she also resists the other half or is immune to. She's immune to almost all of the current Uber list. Blaziken is really the only thing not threatened by her as he resists her Fairy attacks but at the same time he only does normal damage to her.

Blissey most certainly isn't a Pokemon that should be "Banned" as she's just a giant wall used to stall. If she gains Fairy type like a majority of us anticipate I see her moving into Uber mostly because of how much use she is going to get. The more use you have the more chances are you'll end up in the top most tier. She'd also be considered too useful to have in OU. But that doesn't say that a Poison Type Pokemon from UU cannot kill her as fast as anything in an upper tier. That Pokemon in UU just isn't shown to be used as much or for as much as a Blissey. Blissey's potential is just greater even though she'd have more counters the further down the list she'd go.

So once more, The Tier List Concept is to establish an effective ban list to balance out the gameplay for specific sets of Pokemon. The actual Tiers themselves are by no means a Ban List. They are different styles of play reflecting the current meta usage of the generation. Pokemon in Uber today may be OU tomorrow. Pokemon in NU today may shoot to Uber tomorrow due to even a few changes.

Metagross is going to drop out of OU now that he has 2 Common Weaknesses added to him.

Bronzong may drop down to NU or even the newer Tier PU as his useage may dwindle down to practically nothing since his stats aren't as good as Metagross even though based on which ever ability it has it has 3 weaknesses compared to Metagross' 4.

Jirachi may or may not drop out of OU. Eventhough both Jirachi and Metagross have the same Base Stat Total of 600, Metagross isn't as evenly balanced as Jirachi is and Jirachi's Serene Grace is a much better ability to utilize offensively. With some Poison Type attacks or even Poison Type Pokemon making a potential move forward in usage, Jirachi is an appropriate counter to nullify a Poison Attack and then deal some heavy status damage to them. 60% Flinch from STAB'd Iron Head has its benefits that not being able to drop stats doesn't.

Even still it could pull a 180 on my prediction and the opposite happen in favor of Metagross' ability to nullify Stat reducing attacks.

The tier list is going to change this coming generation. What was in each individual tier has a chance to move to either an upper or lower Tier. This includes Ubers.

Can we please drop this whole unneeded argument about Ubers? Ubers, BL, BL2, and BL3 are all tiers whose main function is to act as a ban list for the tiers below them. Ubers is only a playable metagame because it has enough Pokemon to be one. There isn't going to be a tier above Ubers because Ubers is meant to be "a 'free-for-all metagame with no restrictions on which Pokemon may participate." The only rules in Ubers are clauses, and even then, they have been trying to remove them as of late.

Just finished writing my post and your's wasn't there until I finished. Sorry. Still I have a lot of predictions for Fairy related Pokemon added in with support of what I was arguing. Is it ok if my post stays in regards to only keeping the discussion based on my thoughts on possible tier shifts?

Last edited:
    Back