• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What our fanbase neds improvement on...

Years
  • I am only saying this because I love our fanbase guys. I feel that there is plenty of room for improvement

I. Extreme Fanboyism: Gardevoir isn't real and doesn't like such creeps
    II. Gen wunner pointing: Just because somebody only likes Kanto doesn't necessarily make them a gen winner
    III. Rushing games: Just stop it
    IV. Jumping to conclusions: XYZ anime doesn't confirm Z people
    V. Gen winner logic: Lopunny? Sounds more 'older' compared to Jynx
    VI. Favorites: Don't argue about why your favorite Pokémon is better compared to your fellow peers
    VII. Language: Just for our younger folks and female peers
    Discuss!

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I don't think our community needs any changes, except to become larger and more diverse. When you start putting artificial limits on people and drive them to behave a certain way, you alienate them. This causes the community to shrink, again by artificial means.

The best part about fanbases at large is that there's something for everyone, including you. This means that everyone can be included, even though not everyone will like what everyone does. This includes you. What if, suddenly, people stopped liking some of the things you liked, and suggested that those be curbed from the fanbase? That's not fair, right?

We all have to be open-minded and learn to tolerate some of the thing that we find distasteful. Sure, some of those things might not appeal to everyone, but it clearly does to someone. Let them be. Think "I don't like that", and move on to something at interests you.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Eeveelutions should have way less popularity. They are outclassed, boring and are just not worth using for the most part.
    Gen 4 evolutions need more respect, particularly Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Mamoswine, Dusknoir and Probopass.
    Garbodor, Vanilluxe and Stunfisk need more respect.
    The Pikaclones are stupid, have no reason to be used and just fill Pokedex slots. They shouldn't be that popular.
    People should stop complaining about the lack of Mega Flygon and other features they wanted in ORAS. GUYS, AT LEAST GF GAVE YOU THE GODDAMN REMAKE.
    Genwunners are ebola.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    People can enjoy Pokemon in any ways they want to, as long as they aren't affecting others and engaging in any wrongdoings; we shouldn't judge and teach people how to enjoy Pokemon. If they are into the Rule 34, then so be it but just do it quietly and don't shove it in others' faces; if they love cheating (in games lol), just do it to those who are aware and perfectly fine with that sort of gameplay.

There really is no black and white when it comes to enjoying an entertainment. Oh wait, there's Black and White, the Unova games and their sequels.

Years
  • I don't think our community needs any changes, except to become larger and more diverse. When you start putting artificial limits on people and drive them to behave a certain way, you alienate them. This causes the community to shrink, again by artificial means.

The best part about fanbases at large is that there's something for everyone, including you. This means that everyone can be included, even though not everyone will like what everyone does. This includes you. What if, suddenly, people stopped liking some of the things you liked, and suggested that those be curbed from the fanbase? That's not fair, right?

We all have to be open-minded and learn to tolerate some of the thing that we find distasteful. Sure, some of those things might not appeal to everyone, but it clearly does to someone. Let them be. Think "I don't like that", and move on to something at interests you.
    You are facing a misunderstanding.. friend. Let's use Furries as an example. They usually use inappropriate language, therefore putting limits on more groups like certain sensitive girls. So you want to allow this? If genwunners weren't so hypocrytical, leading to false genwunner accusation, then there would be less fights.

Also, whoever mentioned kicking let's say genwunners out? I want to get rid of the Fanboyism sense it DOES affect.others, but not the people themselves. We should be more worried about the peace and more 'innocent minded' folks sense those are larger groups.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    How exactly do you plan on getting any of this to change? Humanity does not change easily.

If you're talking about how we have been getting a new main series game a year since 2009, that's more of an issue with Game Freak and not the Pokemon fanbase, though I do agree that the annual releases need to stop (after we get Z or whatever it'll be).
    VI. Favorites: Don't argue about why your favorite Pokémon is better compared to your fellow peers
    zekrom is objectively the best pokemon ever

Kids swear just as much as adults, trust me. And I don't get why gender matters here either?

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    If people aren't openly hostile and rejecting those who are new to the Pokemon community as a whole, then I see very little to take issue with. I'll admit that some peoples' obsession with Generation I can get grating, particularly in terms of hostility towards those who like other generations, and I wish there were less of that. Within any group of people, there will be those who like that. The horrible vocal ones who just don't care about others' feelings. Honestly, I see it more as a problem with humanity itself than the Pokemon community. It's something that we could ALL improve on as a species.

Besides the whole Generation I thing though, I don't typically see a lot of problems arise within this community that are unique to it. But what issues you see really depends on what subsection of the community you interact with. And I think that the Pokemon fandom is just much broader and larger than others due to it being so old of a thing, so it's really hard for me to judge what exactly needs to improve beyond generalizing it to all of humanity.

Also, if people are into certain sexual fetishes, then ostracizing them is still a form of the kind of hostility I don't approve of. Something that a lot forget about is that you cannot control the kind of stuff that gets you off. It's not like they simply picked the fact that they get aroused by material that is not approved of by a majority of people. This is something that just inexplicably happens. If they want to engage in something that causes their bodies to react in a positive way, then let them and ignore it if you don't approve. As others have said.

Last edited:

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • IV. Jumping to conclusions: XYZ anime doesn't confirm Z people
    I agree with this.
    Before ORAS were announced, I found myself incredibly aggravated by people being 100% sure RSE remakes were going to happen simply based on the fact that RBY and GSC got remakes. I once posted a small comic on Pokémemes basically saying that unless there is an official announcement, we have no reason to expect the remakes to happen, and did get some... interesting comments :D . But, yeah, every time I see speculations based on "they did this in 20XX, that in 20YY, so they'll do this other thing in 20ZZ" or the "two versions, two remakes, third version" pattern, I immediately press the "Back" button.

I also remember when Sylveon was revealed and TPC released the graphic with Eevee in the middle and all the Eeveelutions around it, a lot of people were adamant that, since Sylveon was opposite Jolteon on that graphic, it absolutely would be either weak to or string against the Electric type, and wouldn't simply accept that the Eeveelutions were arranged by generation.

Years
  • How exactly do you plan on getting any of this to change? Humanity does not change easily.

I am just trying to spread the message. It's not easy being a Pokémon missionary
    If you're talking about how we have been getting a new main series game a year since 2009, that's more of an issue with Game Freak and not the Pokemon fanbase, though I do agree that the annual releases need to stop (after we get Z or whatever it'll be).
    I mean how People keep on rushin 'Z'
    zekrom is objectively the best pokemon ever

Kids swear just as much as adults, trust me. And I don't get why gender matters here either?

Some do because they don't have better example s. And as for genders, I've learned that some girls don't visit certain Pokémon communities because sick minded boys talk about 'Tasting' Gardevoir. This behavior leads some girls to not hanging out with boy fans, and maybe judging by that one group, etc

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • I agree with this.
    Before ORAS were announced, I found myself incredibly aggravated by people being 100% sure RSE remakes were going to happen simply based on the fact that RBY and GSC got remakes. I once posted a small comic on Pokémemes basically saying that unless there is an official announcement, we have no reason to expect the remakes to happen, and did get some... interesting comments :D . But, yeah, every time I see speculations based on "they did this in 20XX, that in 20YY, so they'll do this other thing in 20ZZ" or the "two versions, two remakes, third version" pattern, I immediately press the "Back" button.

Link to that?

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • I. Extreme Fanboyism: Gardevoir isn't real and doesn't like such creeps
    II. Gen wunner pointing: Just because somebody only likes Kanto doesn't necessarily make them a gen winner
    IV. Jumping to conclusions: XYZ anime doesn't confirm Z people
    V. Gen winner logic: Lopunny? Sounds more 'older' compared to Jynx
    Discuss!

I: I agree. I smite many a fool on the main Showdown server for voicing their depraved lust for illustrations and 64x64 sprites. That's an issue that affects the majority of fanbases, anyway; you will always have that small, extreme minority that says weird stuff.

III: While ORAS felt a bit rushed, I haven't played any other main series game that felt like that. We've had a decent cool-off period between ORAS and our hypothetical third version, anyway, and it wouldn't surprise me if development on the hypothetical third version commenced before ORAS was released.

VI: Fire Arceus is an excellent Pokemon in BW2 Ubers as it is the defender of honour, truth, and justice. I use it often to great success, and have defeated permanently banned users with it before.

VII: A bit of cursing is fine. Younger people are probably much more exposed to it in 2016 than, say, people my age were in the early 2000s. As for 'female peers', I am no stranger to swearing, so...

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • Link to that?

Here you go: The small comic on RSE remakes and The Eeveelution graphic with a small annotation I did. Unfortunately, they changed their comment system since then, so the comments are gone.

I remember for the former, I got something along the lines of... the F-word said over and over. Another comment was someone who said that there was no way of knowing how much time has passed between D/P/Pt/HG/SS and B1/W1 (in the comic I put "at least 7 years") and therefore the whole thing is invalid, ignoring the overall point that B1/W1 were still set after D/P/Pt/HG/SS chronologically. A third one was "I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!" Ah, fun times...

For the latter, the first comment was: "It's both".

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Pokemon anime XYZ does pretty much confirm Pokemon Z or a 3rd game. I don't understand why they would make Zygarde if they didn't plan to make a 3rd game. We always have a 3rd game, that ain't going to stop.

Not to mention that an interview basically confirmed Z. They said XY's storyline will be wrapped up in a unique way. And there was a ton of holes in both XY and ORAS.

As for cussing, people cuss all the time. I don't really see a problem with it as long as it doesn't get extreme. There are no rules that prevent us from cussing, they just say to keep in controlled. And to be honest, there are more and more young kids who are cussing more and more. And females cuss just as much as men do, sometimes more. Although i try my best not to cuss around females. There are females on here that use cuss words all the time.

Nothing can be done about people loving Gardevoir. Everyone saga has those types of people. DBZ, Pokemon, Walking Dead, Naruto, Spongebob..... nothing can be done about them.

Rushing games? Only one game has ever felt rushed and it has already been said here. We have only had 2 years total with no pokemon game. We aren't rushing them, we are just a bit annoyed that we haven't have any info.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I. Extreme Fanboyism: Gardevoir isn't real and doesn't like such creeps
    Eh, the series doesn't always go to the point of exiling such things, it shouldn't necessarily be a surprise if fans were to pick up on it.

It seems slightly strange that people who like the first generation of games are to then either not a) dislike the others, or b) have reasons for liking these games more than the others, which makes them a problem. Conversely, people quite frequently dislike the older ones in favour of the new ones, and clearly treat them as different, but apparently taking the other side on this difference is supposed to be assumed to make them a freak. So are they then supposed to prefer those games, but pretend that the newer games are in no way different from them. Was that a viewpoint or a marketing scheme?

Favourite as opposed to what? Other Pokémon? Presumably if people have 'favourite Pokémon,' or even discriminate between them, for reasons, then they've already begun this 'argument.' It presumably isn't their favourite for instinctive or arbitrary reasons, which would return this to point I. As such, such discussions needn't per se be taken issue with.

Females have been known to do worse than swearing. Interesting how young people (apparently mostly males) are 'folks,' and females are 'peers,' though, is this 'We're the Millers' or something like that? Anyway. This hardly seems like mostly a characteristic of a 'fanbase' in general, perhaps about the way its members talk, or such.
    Some do because they don't have better example s. And as for genders, I've learned that some girls don't visit certain Pokémon communities because sick minded boys talk about 'Tasting' Gardevoir. This behavior leads some girls to not hanging out with boy fans, and maybe judging by that one group, etc
    Of course, because not only are girls supposed to be immune to such 'creepiness,' they are also automatically turned away by the sexualisation of anything. Try surveying a bar sometime, although this might be difficult if you got drunk. On whatever. Vines or Roman goddesses or something.

Years
  • The games has only promoted the anime once. Meloetta *the final 20th event Pokémon* will be distributed for XY and ORAS only. Now why would some sequel be released in 2017? Gen 7 can conclude Zygarde like with GS and certain patterns have been broken. I mean, we still won't get answers to every Pokémon mystery in one gen *alas original Dragon*

And as for cussing, not everyone does it. And for Gardevoir, love can be defined in many different ways. Some people aren't furries, and are more sensitive once again. That can 'scare them off' people.

And rushed is usually an opinion. XY and ORAS felt pretty rushed and many people are demanding that specifically Z be released Even though Masuda said no

Years
  • Eh, the series doesn't always go to the point of exiling such things, it shouldn't necessarily be a surprise if fans were to pick up on it.

It seems slightly strange that people who like the first generation of games are to then either not a) dislike the others, or b) have reasons for liking these games more than the others, which makes them a problem. Conversely, people quite frequently dislike the older ones in favour of the new ones, and clearly treat them as different, but apparently taking the other side on this difference is supposed to be assumed to make them a freak. So are they then supposed to prefer those games, but pretend that the newer games are in no way different from them. Was that a viewpoint or a marketing scheme?

Favourite as opposed to what? Other Pokémon? Presumably if people have 'favourite Pokémon,' or even discriminate between them, for reasons, then they've already begun this 'argument.' It presumably isn't their favourite for instinctive or arbitrary reasons, which would return this to point I. As such, such discussions needn't per se be taken issue with.
    Let me rephrase that. Let's say that I say that my favorite Pokémon is Jynx. That's okay, but if I decide to bash into Lopunny fans about Playboy bunnies as compared to Jynx, then a 'bigger riot can start

Females have been known to do worse than swearing. Interesting how young people (apparently mostly males) are 'folks,' and females are 'peers,' though, is this 'We're the Millers' or something like that? Anyway. This hardly seems like mostly a characteristic of a 'fanbase' in general, perhaps about the way its members talk, or such.
    Folks as in a younger audience and peers as in any innocent minded girl in particular. Lol
    Of course, because not only are girls supposed to be immune to such 'creepiness,' they are also automatically turned away by the sexualisation of anything. Try surveying a bar sometime, although this might be difficult if you got drunk. On whatever. Vines or Roman goddesses or something.
    I don't belive that all girls are immune to it if that's what you are implying, I just want to keep the more vulnerable ones away from such material. Some of us have moral standards

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    The main thing this fanbase needs is enthusiasm.

The fact that people are even making favorite Pokémon a main topic of discussion, let alone arguing over it, speaks volumes about how bored this fandom is. Is there really nothing else about Pokémon worth discussing besides whether or not you prefer Pikachu or Meowth, or which starter you like the best? Have people really run out of things to talk about?

Yes, it stinks that there's no new game on the immediate horizon, but guess what? There's still 6 Gens and 14 sets of main series games to occupy yourselves with. Heck, the original, classic Gen 1 games are even getting re-released next month. Why isn't there more excitement over that? Didn't people want to see the old games re-released on the VC?

I can't tell people what to discuss, but I can give advice. As it is right now, the site is only losing members, not gaining any. People are clearly bored and losing interest, and I'd hate to see this site die because of that. :(

Reactions: Sun
    Years
  • The main thing this fanbase needs is enthusiasm.

The fact that people are even making favorite Pokémon a main topic of discussion, let alone arguing over it, speaks volumes about how bored this fandom is. Is there really nothing else about Pokémon worth discussing besides whether or not you prefer Pikachu or Meowth, or which starter you like the best? Have people really run out of things to talk about?

Yes, it stinks that there's no new game on the immediate horizon, but guess what? There's still 6 Gens and 14 sets of main series games to occupy yourselves with. Heck, the original, classic Gen 1 games are even getting re-released next month. Why isn't there more excitement over that? Didn't people want to see the old games re-released on the VC?

I can't tell people what to discuss, but I can give advice. As it is right now, the site is only losing members, not gaining any. People are clearly bored and losing interest, and I'd hate to see this site die because of that. :(

I really enjoy Pokémon fusion making. Anyways, we need a break from the old formula. Gen 7 with The Sevii-island islands, Mega Johto Starters, Entire Kalos region. It's like.killing 4 Pidgeys with one Thunderstone

Back