• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen So I'm replaying Heartgold

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
  • And I have a hoot-hoot and chikorita so far. I have not beaten the first gym yet, but do you guys have any tips for my playthrough? I want to make sure some pokemon don't get too overpowered than my other ones and stuff and I've always had that habit of overpowering my starter or whatever so do you guys have any tips for playing through it? please and thanks!

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Just make sure to rotate your team members around. Instead of always using your starter, make it a point to use the other Pokemon on your team. What I like to do when replaying a Pokemon game is go in with some plan to make sure I use different Pokemon than the ones I've used before. There are challenges that help make sure this happens for you, like the Nuzlocke challenge.

But if you don't want to play through an actual challenge, just look through lists of the Pokemon you can catch in each area and see which ones you haven't used before.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • HeartGold and SoulSilver are notorious for having one of the steepest leveling curves out of all the Pokémon main series games. I wouldn't worry too much about getting overleveled because it's really difficult to do that in these games--be prepared to do a bit of grinding before you face the Elite Four. Also, I'm not sure if you have any interest in this, but you may want to give the Pokeathlon a try--they're really fun mini-games you can play with your Pokémon that you can get neat prizes from. If you do plan on giving it a try, be sure to collect all the Apricorns you come across, because you need them to level up Pokeathlon stats, and it's helpful to get a head start on collecting them early on, since each tree only yields one Apricorn per day.

Oh, and most important tip: have fun!

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    The Pokéathlon is outside Goldenrod City. You have to defeat Whitney first, and then head to Route 35. It's west of the National Park.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    Get a pokemon with an ice attack! I recommend catching Lapras on Friday. He learns Ice Beam at level 32. Lance has like 12 Dragonites! Use Lapras!

Other than that do what you wanna do. I like using pokemon I like rather than how good they are. If you want to find a pokemon stronger than your starter you can find Heracross in the tress. He's superpowerful. I remember playing Silver on an emulator and wrecking most of the Elite Four with Heracross' Strength attack. No joke.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    Another tip, I don't know if this is the first time you're playing Heart Gold but Whitney can be tough early on. She's the Goldenrod Gym Leader. Another reason to get Heracross, he learns brick break at lvl. 19. Or you could get Nidoran who's north of Goldenrod. He learns Double Kick at level 9.

Back