• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Fanfic] Avatar The Spirit Resurgence

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2016
    Chapter 1 - The Desk and the Window

"So, what do you think?"

"I think it's the most ridiculous and impossible plan I've ever heard."

"Oh come on. We both know what the people have been saying. It's about time for a change. The need far outweighs whatever actions we must take."

The dark haired, fairer skinned man rubbed his face with his right hand, leaving his left free to rest on the desk in front of him, anxiously fidgeting over sections of official documents. He finally replied, "Yes maybe, but we cannot do it all at once, and certainly not like this. There is still far too great a number of those who would sympathize with the Provos and their cause."

The other, darker skinned, dusty haired man interjected, "Of course it won't. I'm not saying all this will occur overnight. It will take years, maybe more than we wish to count, but it will happen if we push it far enough." He pointed a finger at the lighter skin man. "And don't call them that. It only encourages them. They are Provocateurs. They disturb and cause mayhem and instigate uncivilized behavior."

The black haired man rolled his eyes and retorted, "As you wish, but we cannot be forceful about this kind of thing. Before the people will agree, they will want to understand. They will need to trust us."

"Then we must make them understand!" The darker skin man struck the side of his hand to the desk, hunched over and spoke with greater conviction. "Show them what the truth is. Make the Revisionist cause personal. Level with our people, and they will level with us. They will, trust us."

A furrowed brow and crossed arms displayed themselves on the fair skinned man. He lifted one hand to his well groomed and pointed goatee, and stroked it while remaining in deep, thoughtful silence.

"Listen," sighed the dust color haired man, "even if it takes twenty years, would it not be for the good of the nation? In the end, would the benefits not infinitely supersede any means, or course of action we choose to take?"

Still stroking his beard, the black haired man turned his eyes to his insistent consort and saw the devotion in his eyes that matched his words.

"If we... Do this... There is no reversing it. What we do will be done." He now turned to face his companion directly. "We will be starting a revolution, possibly even a war."

"I know," still hunched over the desk, dark skin smiled unconvincingly and concluded, "but it will be for the good of the nation."

Light skin looked away at an abstract piece of crinkled paper wedged in one of the wooden desk drawers and spoke lower and with a much more solemn tone. "Yeah... But what will the costs amount to?"

Dusty hair stood up straight and placed his hands regally behind his back, pacing over to the only window in the dim room. He stared through the thin shades barring most of the piercing sunlight from entering in and locked his eyes onto the square filled with people below at the base of the building.

People were walking with one another, parents with children, lover with lover, merchants selling wares, and even a city officer stopped to accept the meager gift of a flower from a small girl. The officer he imagined saying thank you as he ruffled her hair and she giggled, skipping away back to her mother. His eyes crossed the large statue of a man forged in bronze and lingered his sight there momentarily. He smiled briefly then cut his eyes to another corner of the square. His smile faded instantly as he spotted a younger looking man, perhaps a teenager, standing off alone near the small runoff from the waterway that fed the fountain that danced next to the statue. The man he could see making slight, almost invisible motions with his hands and arms as he hovered close to the water. He narrowed his eyes to focus on the tiny stream and stared, piercingly and patiently. There, in the flow, he saw it. A sliver of liquid creeped it's way upward as if willing itself to climb. Like a serpent it moved back and forth and in circles, all the while the young man maintained his steady routine of motions.

A few moments later, two other city officers marched toward the young man and proceeded to knock him to the ground and beat him just senseless enough to make it easier to carry his incapacitated body away. With that, the water fell with a splash back into the stream and continued it's dull, monotonous ebbing into the runoff and disappeared as did the man with the guards. The smile the dark man at the window once wore had long vanished and he gazed now, slightly frowning, wearing an expression somewhere between pride and resolve.

Arms still held behind his back with his sight still fixated through the blinds at the city square, he finally spoke quietly and a bit grimly in response to his counterpart. "It doesn't matter the cost, as long as we are willing to pay the price."

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2016
    Chapter 2 - The Race

The entrance to the city Dau Lang, capital city of the new unified region of colonies is busy today. Merchants gather here frequently, but today they collect en masse. A fray of locals have arrived unknowingly to welcome two young men. Two outsiders have entered the city gate, looking to start a new life.

"Hey Ethan, do you think this place is anything like home?"

"I don't know, Alex..."

Alex and Ethan, two brothers, are from an eastern region that used to be known as the earth kingdom, now known as free land.

Alex looked around at the large scale, apartment style buildings, and could not help but wonder, "You think we'll find anyone we know in here?"

"Doubt it. There were only a few people who left home that we know of, and none of them ever said they were headed to Dau Lang."

"Yeah..." Alex stared through the ground and continued to ask, "You think we'll meet any members of the--"

He was abruptly and loudly cut off by the sound of his brother's sudden increase in volume. "Would you be quiet!? Are you nuts!? Do you want people to know that they still exist!?!?"

Alex's eyes grew to about the size of two cabbages as he replied with as much volume, "Why are you yelling then!? You think you're being any more stealthy than I am!? You've just practically announced to the entire city that we're here!" He motioned with his hand around the crowded gate as people continued to scurry past, not showing even the most remote interest in the argument. Both of them looked around at all the individuals who were not looking back, apparently disappointed their outburst had not caused a disruption.

"Huh... I guess people here are used to a little more excitement. Considering it's the capital and all." Said Ethan.

"That's true. But I do love a challenge though." Alex spoke as he smiled a bit deviously toward his brother.

Ethan returned the sly expression and responded, "Should we go check around the city for housing?" The taller bulkier of the two brothers motioned with his thumb down the street.

The shorter but just as muscular Alex answered, "It can wait till later. Let's just walk around and see what's to see for right now."

Still smiling with an eyebrow raised, Ethan asked, "Want to race down the street?"

Alex looked back almost insulted at the question, "Of course. You know I do!"

Both stood next to each other in perfect starting pose, ready to shoot off at any moment.
    "One..."
    "Two..."
    Both yelled, "THREE!"

Firing like two parallel lightning bolts, they hurled themselves down the street with speed that caught several citizens off guard. Ethan had the lead at the beginning though Alex slowly began to close the strides between them. They tumbled between carts and cars, people and pets, and over and under boxes and crates. People yelled and jumped out of the way avoiding the two bullets as they ricocheted down the busy road. Vehicles swerved and stopped while red faced sellers shouted and waved maniacally at the boys.

"You'll have to do better to keep up!" Shouted Alex who had now taken the lead.

"Oh I can show you better!" Retorted Ethan. He took another two steps and jumped to a box using it as a springboard, knocking several other containers of goods to the ground smashing them to pieces, and vaulted himself upward to an awning just ahead. Now on the overhangs and free of obstacles, he again regained head position and shouted back at his brother, "Looks like my better is better than your best!" He laughed and picked up his pace.

Looking frustrated, Alex also kicked up his speed and bolted under the awnings. With a quick snap of his hand a small rock shot up through the awning just ahead of his brother and, as his foot caught the fabric, the entire cloth ripped and Ethan collapsed through to the ground as Alex now overtook him. All this transpired in view of two city officers who were standing on the other side of the street. This event spurred them into action and they began chasing after, yelling all manner of threat and civil violation that would pop into their heads.

"Hey! That's cheating!" Screamed Ethan to Alex as he still sat on the street rubbing the back of his neck.

"We never said what the rules were!"

Ethan, looking steamed and frustrated, glanced back and performed a double take when he noticed the two officials coming toward him as one yelled, "Hey you! And you! Both of you get over here now! You have a truckload of violations to answer for!"

Suddenly terrified, he stood quickly and hurried up trying to catch his brother.

Alex called back, "Who's best is better now then!?" He turned his head to in time to see Ethan passing him on the right and looked dumbfounded. "Hey, how did you--"

"Shut up and run!"

"What are you talking about?"

"Seriously! Shut up and book it! We're being chased!"

"What!?" The shorter brother slowly turned his head to notice the officials running behind them.

"Stop running! You're only going to make this worse on yourselves!" One out of breath officer bellowed.

His eyes almost popped from his head as he sped up to match Ethan.
    "Dang it Ethan, what did you do!?"

"What are you talking about me!? You're the one who broke the awning!"

"Yeah well you broke the crates!"

"Does it even matter right now who broke what!? We're still being chased!"

"Good point. We'll discuss this later."

They temporarily settled the dispute and decided their energy was best spent using their feet, not their mouths.

Glancing back, Ethan noticed one of the guards saying something into his hand.
    "We're not gonna lose these guys if we keep running straight down the same street."

"You're right. Hold on, I've got this." Stopping with a skid, Alex lifted one leg and drove it into the ground, shattering the sidewalk. As he turned his eyes to the guards, he had just enough time to see a stone wall appear in front of them as they both collided with it accompanied by the sounds of clattering metal armor and groans of surprised agony. Smiling devilishly he began high stepping to catch Ethan.
    "Yep. That should do it."

"We still need to get off this street."

"Hey, let's turn up to the right up there!"

They both hit the corner hard and shifted directions but were forced to a sliding stop as they rounded onto the new road. Standing in a wall formation were another five city officials steadied with guns at the aim. Both boys were breathing heavily and looking at each other nervously.

"You two are in a world of trouble unlike anything you've ever known."

They turned to look back, shocked and unnerved further to see the two guards who had been chasing them earlier strolling up to them. Each one had bruising on their faces and the one who had spoken clearly had a broken nose and cut above the right eyebrow. He was taller and and had a fear inducing countenance that matched his toned muscular body, which was clearly evident even underneath his armor.
    "Who are you two anyway? I've never seen you in this part of the city before?"

Alex replied with a hint of fear in his voice, "We're actually new here." He laughed shakily looking to his brothers eyes hoping for support.

Ethan met his eyes and spoke up. "Uh yeah! We actually just got here today and thought it'd be nice to take in some of the sights."

Expressionless and cold as steel, the officer asked, "So a foot race through a crowded market area was the best way to do that?"

"We're fast shoppers. Plus we like to make a good first impression." He grinned and chuckled smartly as Alex muffled a snort and laughed silently.

Far from amused, the officer narrowed his eyes to slits and shot razors through each of them. "You also thought destruction of public and private property, as well as terrifying the locals, and injuring public officials was the best way to do that?" He stood as though he were a statue erected to appear as menacing as possible. Arms held tightly behind his back, with a more dignified expression now, he continued, "What are your names?"

The two exchanged uncertain glances until finally, "I'm Ethan." The older brother answered first. "This is my younger brother Alex."

Still dignified, the guard inhaled deeply and lifted his face and stared over their heads. "Well boys, welcome to Dau Lang, the capital city. My name is Lieutenant Cho Kang." He shifted his eyes only to look down at them. "You are under arrest for acts of social misconduct."

The brothers, panicked and horrified, looked back and forth between themselves and the Lieutenant.

"Also for future reference... All forms of bending are illegal within the limits of the city."

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2016
    Hi. I know almost nothing about The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra. I'm here to review anyway.

Your prologue could really afford to lose the weird monikers. "Light skin" used to refer to a person was particularly odd. Normally skin color isn't used to refer to people unless you're talking through the voice of a politically incorrect or old narrator or the skin color is really out of place. Otherwise it can contain some unfortunate implications and undertones.

"Dust-colored hair" is also weird, since I have no idea what that would look like. If you had explained it a little more, it might be justifiable as a moniker. But otherwise it's just really confusing.

First chapter could have told a little less, showed a little more as cliche as it is. Good dialogue taken from the right conversation (you're the author and can walk in on whatever conversation you need to) can actually handle a fair bit of exposition for you. The action scene was alright, though, and matched the style of what little of the first series I watched.

Overall, you might want to fix the prologue and give names or better nicknames, but you've set up an interesting story if nothing else.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2016
    Thanks Rediamond for your advice and critique! I appreciate the useful feedback and will definitely keep what you've said in mind for future posts and the chapters to come, as well as make needed revisions to the prologue. Any other advice in the future is greatly appreciated as well!

Cheers and good writing to you mate!

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2016
    Chapter 3 - The Cell

"Welcome to your new home for the next several days." The guard laughed as he tossed a young man by the arm into a holding cell. The boy hit the ground as his long, shaggy, dark brown hair covered his eyes and dirt flew into his face. "You'll be comfortable here. Just like your own home sweet home and everything." The guard continued to laugh as he strolled off down the corridor and out of the cell block.

The young man dusted off his blue-gray colored clothing, and swept his hair smoothly and neatly back into place behind his ears. Standing up he looked around the cell, taking notice of the dingy, long worn bed in the corner. Closing his eyes and shaking his head, he sighed deeply as if taking in air for the first time.

"Don't pay any attention to the officers. They only like to get a reaction out of you."

The young man tuned with a start as parts of his hair fell back into disarray. Before him sat on the only other bed in the room, a boy with uniformly short black hair, who seemed to be around the same age as himself. He sat cross legged and was smiling lightly in a non-patronizing, friendly manner. From the look of serenity in his expression and the old muted yellow robes he wore, the shaggy haired boy knew what kind of person he would now be calling cell mate.

"Hello," the still smiling teenager spoke, "My name is Brandon. What's yours?"

The other answered, "I'm Caspian." With an eyebrow raised he asked in return, "Are you one of the air monks?"

"How'd you guess?" He laughed lightheartedly while pulling at the front of his robes.

Caspian's face softened to a smile and he joined the laughter, sitting down on his own bed. "I'm not worried about the guards. They're just doing as they're told anyways."

"What are you here for?"

Running his fingers across his forearm, a small amount of sweat lifted and floated through the air above his hand as he kept spinning his digits in methodical continuous motions.

Brandon appeared quite impressed by his skillful control of the liquid. "That's pretty cool. But why are you here? How'd you get arrested?"

Confusion crossed over his own face and he stopped the bending, letting the fluid splash to the floor. "What? No, I mean, that's how I got here. That's why they arrested me."

"They arrested you for sweating?" He asked in absolute seriousness.

Dumbfounded but amused, Caspian chuckled and smiled. "No, they arrested me for waterbending. I was practicing next to a little crack near the fountain in the square where water was leaking out, and these guards caught me. Came out of nowhere and knocked me out. Gave me this nice cut." He pushed the loose hair back from his left cheek and pointed to a gash along the bone next to his eye.

"Oh wow. You don't know that bending is illegal in the city?"

"I know bending is illegal but I thought if I were practicing by myself away from people, they wouldn't notice or care." The teenager put a hand on each thigh and sat at the edge of his cot upright and regal, like a chieftain from the tribes of old. "So, how did you end up here?"

"Oh, I was airbending."

"You're an airbender as well as a monk?"

"Yep. My mother was a bender from a village in the eastern region of the old kingdom."

Raising a hand in pause, Caspian asked, "Wait, didn't you just tell me that bending was illegal in the city? If you knew too, then why did you do it? What did you do?"

"Well technically, I know it NOW." Sitting crossed legged, hands intertwined, he continued. "They told me it was illegal after they arrested me. I didn't know till then."

"How did you not know it wasn't allowed in the city?"

"We always practiced and trained and meditated either inside the monastery, or outside of the city borders in the woods on the western edge. The masters just never mentioned it I guess."

"I guess that makes sense. Seeing as how it's only illegal to do public bending. It's fine inside houses, and training grounds, and outside the city and stuff. It's just in open places like the markets the officials don't tolerate it."

"Yeah. They told me all that when I said I had no idea about the law after they put me in the transport car. My guard was actually not too bad. He was calm and explained it to me. He was even kinda friendly."

"Well, at least there are still some good men out there still working for this city I suppose." He squinted suddenly and questioned, "Wait. What exactly did you do to get arrested?"

Brandon perked up and answered, "Oh! I was in the market shopping for dinner supplies and I... Accidentally sneezed and blew over several produce stands..."

At first he remained stoic and blinked a few times. Then without warning Caspian exploded in laughter and convulsions, grabbing at his stomach almost doubling over. "You, sneezed!?" He spoke through tears, wiping at his eyes.

"Yeah!" Brandon replied, joining in the laughter.

"They, ehem... They, arrested you for sneezing!?" He said while gripping his side. "That's amazing. I didn't know they passed a law banning public allergies." The laughing slowed and he regained some of his composer, clearing the remaining tears from his face.

"Yep! Like I said, the guard in the car had to explain to me the laws against bending in public and everything."

"Oh wow." Now returned to his stately appearance of ease, he proceeded. "So, you're an airbender too, and not just a monk?"

"Mmmhmm."

"Cool. At least I won't be the only bender in here."

"Yeah." Smiling, he reclined against the metal wall of the cell. "So how long will they hold us for our 'crimes'?"

Sighing, the blue clad prisoner looked up and stroked the small beard protruding from his chin. "Depends. First time offenders get a warning detention, which can last anywhere from three days to a week. Secondary offenses require a longer detention period. The third time is when they move you to the Pinnacle."

"Oh yeah! I know what that place is! It's north of the monastery. The place where the city's-and sometimes the region's-worst criminals are kept."

He nodded in agreement. "Uh huh. This is obviously your first time, and it happens to be mine too. So they'll probably release us at the same time to avoid extra paperwork and empty up a cell quickly."

"That makes sense."

Both young men sat in silence for a few moments. Brandon still reclined up against the wall and glanced toward the only, small, triangular window in the room. Caspian fell into a more recumbent position, laying down on his cot with his hands behind his head and stared up at the ceiling. The silence continued for several minutes until half an hour had passed. Suddenly, the silence broke like a twig snapping in two pieces as the voices of multiple people suddenly boomed down the corridor.

"Come on now! Stop struggling! Jacob, help me! The bigger one is lot more resistant!"

"Let my brother go! Don't drag him around like that!" The larger of the two prisoners yelled in defiance.

"Get on your feet for goodness sake! Stop tripping over yourself like a moose-lion cub!"

"I would if you would stop pulling me ahead of myself!"

"Jacob! HELP, NOW!"

Both detainees had sat upright at this point, curiously looking at the hall, anticipating what they were going to see to follow the sounds. The scene soon moved in front of their cell as they saw two guards-one apparently named Jacob-fighting to maintain control over two other men. The two other men were clearly adamant against being retrained in this manner as they struggled to break free of the hold the guards had on them.

The young cell mates watched the scene, then glanced at each other unsure of whether to be concerned or amused, then returned to watching the brawl taking place in the hall.

"Jacob, get the keys from my belt! I can't reach them!"

"Alright, Jacob, move closer!"

The two officers continued to pull at the younger prisoners, inching closer to one another till finally Jacob had finally gotten hold of the other Jacob's keys.

"Got 'em! Now what?"

"Open the cell!"

"This one?"

"No the one a few blocks up. Yes, this one!" He motioned to the door of the already occupied room. Both occupants again looked at each other, this time more uncertain and returned to watching the men outside again.

"Hurry! They're both getting worn out!"

"Alright, I'm getting it... Got it!"

"Good! Now throw them in before they get a second wind!"

Both men rushed the prisoners to the door and forcibly launched them into the room, causing the young misfits to collapse on top of each other in between the two beds the other two spectators were still sitting on. Behind them the officers slammed the heavy, steel, barred door with a loud clacking sound, making sure it locked into place. The officials sighed a breath of exhaustion and clapped each other on the shoulder.

"Good job Jacob. Glad that's finally over with."

"Same brother, same. Let's say we head down across the street and get some lunch. I'm starved after that ordeal."

"Sounds like a plan to me! Come on, it'll even be my treat."

Without any further conversation, they turned and left, closing the hall door behind them with one final loud bang.

The two inmates on the beds sat wide eyed, mouths agape, staring at the two new additions to their cell. On the floor, the brothers began untangling themselves.

"Ethan, you're on my leg. I can't get up."

"Sorry Alex, but your elbow is in my ear. How am I supposed to move my head?"

"I don't know. I didn't put it there on purpose."

"Well, you can move it on purpose!"

"Fine!... There, are you happy now?"

"I can turn my head now, so yes."

By this time the two boys had reached an upright position and finally noticed the other two occupants in the room with them, both of whom were still watching in amazement at the bulky muscled teens.

"Um, hi." Caspian finally spoke up. "Um... I'm honestly not sure how to start this introduction..."

"I'll go first then!" Replied Alex rather quickly. "I'm Alex, and this is my older brother Ethan," he held a hand to the side of his mouth and spoke a bit softer, "but don't let that deceive you. He's barely a year older."

"As if the age mattered anyways. You never listen to me." Ethan retorted.

"Well then, it's a pleasure to meet you guys. I'm Caspian, and that one over there would be Brandon."

"Hello!"

"Hi. So I guess we're all roommates now?" Ethan questioned.

"Looks that way." Answered Brandon.

"Well it could be worse." Alex shrugged and glanced at his brother. "We could've been arrested." He smiled sincerely.

"We were arrested..."

"Well then see! It's not so bad after all!"

"That doesn't even make any sense!?"

Alex merely shrugged again and kept smiling.

Caspian looked bewildered at the two, and glanced at Brandon seeing the same expression and both grinned slyly at each other, apparently having the same thought. "Look I don't mean to sound prying or anything, but I'm curious... Why were you guys arrested? Exactly?"

"They said something about bending being illegal in the city." The taller Ethan answered.

Brandon laughed and Caspian sat back on his bed and crossed his arms with a look of satisfaction. "Well boys, welcome to the Bender's Non-bending club of Dau Lang Prison. Today's topic: coincidences and how often they occur."

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2016
    Chapter 4 - The Hall, The Prison

[Dau Lang Town Hall: City Complex of Municipal Headquarters and Police Operations]

"Adam, what do you think?"

"Hmm, what?"

"I asked if you thought we should move ahead with the next part of the plan?"

"Oh, yes. Right, of course. Well..."

"Well what?"

"I just think we should give the people more time. Let them wade into these changes. The way society functions is going to change drastically, and such changes must come slowly if we want to maintain peace. We cannot adapt everyone all at once, else there will be some sort of riot or revolt and everything we work for will be for nothing."

"Fine. We will hold off on the second phase, at least until people have grown more accustomed to the first law. Once people realize bending is not socially acceptable, they will come around to the idea that bending itself is not an acceptable practice."

The darker haired man, named Adam, sat with his arms crossed and stared into the piles of paper on his desk that only seemed to increase and never shrink in size. His counterpart, the brown haired, darker skinned man with a more urgent expression, sat and awaited a response from the lighter skinned, black haired Adam.

"We will give the people three days. After that, we will instigate the new law. However," he looked at the other man and pointed an index finger as he spoke more severely, "this is on you. You must make it clear to the people this is for the good. If they feel afraid or restricted, it will not succeed. We cannot afford war this early in the plan. Do you understand me Alistair?"

The tan skin Alistair smiled barely, and nodded in agreement. "It will be done as you have said. I will make the people understand. We will make the people understand." He curled his hand into a fist and held it in front of his own face. "Bending must be outlawed, permanently. It has caused too much trouble, and too great a burden to our people, to those who cannot bend. Benders will have to accept that society is progressing and no longer has need, nor place for their abilities. Either they will forget their old ways and adapt, or they will be forced to leave."

Adam sat back in his chair, arms still crossed, looking grave and lost in contemplation. His hands moved and his fingers met in a pyramid fashion above his lap as he sat thinking in the silence of the room. Dust floated through the light filtering in from the lone window in the room on the wall behind him. He followed one speck with his eyes as it drifted and landed on a document with the words "To be filed" in the bottom left corner. He turned his body to face the window as the light crossed his eyes, showing them to be a brilliant shade of ice blue. He closed them and leaned back, taking a deep breath and letting out a sigh of exhaustion.

"Adam."

He turned back to Alistair and opened his eyes, remaining peacefully silent.

"Do not forget why we are doing this."

Adam sat motionless for another moment then finally nodded, closed his eyes again, and leaned back in his chair. A few moments later, the other man stood without a word and exited the room with a slight clicking sound as he shut the door behind him, leaving the man at the desk in solitude.

[Dau Lang Prison: Cell Block 3-Room 208]

"So, you got arrested for bending, we got arrested for bending, and he got arrested for sneezing?"

"Well, technically Ethan, I got arrested for bending. You got arrested for breaking stuff."

"Whatever. Besides Alex, you threw one rock. That doesn't really qualify as bending."

"Yeah but throwing a rock without touching a rock is still earthbending."

"Look," Caspian cut in, "I hate to interrupt cause I'm curious to see if this argument will actually resolve or just continue till we're all released but I have to ask... I've never seen either of you in the city before. That may be just because we've never been in the same part of the city, but your clothes don't exactly look like you're from here either."

Ethan stopped just before arguing further with his brother and responded. "Well, we aren't from the city. We're from a provincial town called Raku Village."

"Oh, so you're from the old kingdom!"

Ethan inhaled to respond to the excited looking airbender's question, but before he could get there Alex had already blurted, "Yes! It's east of Dau Lang. It's actually really, really far away come to think of it... By the time we got here, my feet really hurt."

"So you both walked here?"

"Yep. And don't pay attention to him. He complains a lot."

Alex glared at his brother but could say nothing before Caspian had asked another question, "So, you're an earthbender? And they arrested you both for that?"

"Essentially yes." Answered Ethan.

"No! They did not arrest us both for that. Remember the race was your idea?"

"Yeah but... Yeah but... Shut up."

"It was Ethan's idea to have a race, and we might have broken some stuff along the way. We were gonna get arrested anyways. The bending just made it worse apparently. Bending is illegal in a city? That's weird."

"Yeah unfortunately it is. I was practicing near the fountain at the city square and two officials came, knocked me out, and brought me here."

"Wow. The men who arrested us weren't that mean and I even broke the Lieutenant's nose and we fought the guards the whole way here."

"Wait. You broke Lieutenant Kang's nose? Like, tall dark, brooding, and scary looking Cho Kang?"

"Yeah that pretty much describes him. And yes."

"That might've contributed to you being arrested." Brandon laughed as he spoke.

"Yeah." Agreed Caspian. "So, out of curiosity, what brought you two to Dau Lang in the first place?"

"Well, we're kinda here for a couple of reasons." The older brother answered looking unsure whether to answer or not.

"If you would rather not talk about it, that's fine. I'm just asking question to pass time cause it's not like we have a lot else to do."

"We're here looking for members of the White Lotus." Alex spouted suddenly to the horror of his brother. All four of the young prisoners suddenly looked serious and exchanged glances, seemingly each knowing somehow what the other was thinking. The White Lotus was...

"Are you nuts!? I told you not to talk about them in public!" Screamed Ethan, apparently interrupting my narration.

"Well we're in prison now, this doesn't exactly count as public!"

"That's not the point! You're not supposed to talk about them at all! No one is supposed to know they still exist!"

"What!? You think these guys are spies or something planted here to get information from us!?"

At this point Caspian had begun attempting to get their attention. "Um guys?"

"Maybe they are spies!? How would you know!? Maybe that's why he's asking all these questions! Maybe he's trying to destroy the White Lotus!"

"So what if he is!? We could take him! We're all locked in the same cell! Besides, I doubt he's a spy anyways!"

"Well, what if he is!? You've just given him exactly the information he wanted!"

"Hey, guys." The confused waterbender tried again.

"Oh really!?"

"Yes! Really!"

"Would you stop yelling at me!?"

"If you stop acting like a child!"

"Child!? Do you want to settle this now!?"

"I'd be glad to!" Ethan reared back his fist and a glow of fire appeared around it as he launched it forward at his younger, now terrified looking brother.

"WAIT!" Yelled Caspian, but it was already too late for that. Alex ducked quickly and avoided the fiery punch, but the fist kept going and landed square on the back wall of the room, just below the triangular window. With a sound resembling a canon blast, the wall exploded and shards of heated steel shot out to the ground three stories below.

Brandon rolled over off the bed partly from shock, partly from the shockwave created by the impact of the punch. Alex stayed in a squatted position as if to avoid a second swing from his brother. Caspian looked horrified as he gaped at the five foot diameter hole now illuminating the room with painfully bright sunlight. Ethan stood there with a shocked expression himself, seemingly struck by the realization of what he just did.

"I... I didn't mean to... Do that."

"You ARE a bender too! You're a firebender! You... You have no idea what you've just done." Caspian rubbed his face frustratedly with his hand and rested the other on his hip.

Alex finally stood back up, wide eyes and exclaimed, "You almost punched me!"

Ethan laughed innocently and answered, "Oops."

"Ok, first of all, this is not good. Second, YOU COULD HAVE MENTIONED THAT YOU ARE A FIREBENDER!"

"I didn't know it was important. I also wasn't trying to bust a hole in the wall."

"The forged steel wall." Brandon pointed out recovering from his position on the floor. "You just punched through a forged steel wall. That doesn't happen often."

"Yeah well, I get a little testy sometimes."

"A little!?" His hair down in disarray and an expression of profound confusion on his face, Caspian continued. "The guards are gonna think we're attempting an escape. Do you know what happens to prisoners who try to escape?"

In that instant, an anthem of sirens began setting off all at once. Down the corridor, outside the building, and on every level loud, striking, buzzing, and ringing sounds could be heard throughout the prison. The blue dressed waterbender stood there with a hand on his face, groaning exasperatedly.

"Oops. Sorry."

"Mmhmm."

"What do they do to prisoners who try to escape?" Questioned Alex.

Caspian lifted his head from his hand and smiled amusedly. "They take you to the Pinnacle. The most fortified and well guarded holding facility in the world. Literally. The stories alone are enough to dissuade crime, but if you actually end up there..." He stopped and turned his head, angling his ear toward the hall. "We have to go."

"Go?" Ethan looked surprised. "Go where?"

"Anywhere. We just have to get out of this prison. If they catch us thinking we were trying to escape, that's it. But guards are coming up the stairs now so we've gotta hurry. Luckily, we now have the perfect exit."

"But what if we tell them it was an accident. We weren't trying to escape, I just punched a hole through the wall."

"Right, because that will go over convincingly."

Alex looked at Ethan and Ethan looked back, then turned back to Caspian and said decidedly, "Yeah, good point. How do we get out of here?"

"I could glide down, if I had my glider with me. Airbender and everything."

"But you don't have your glider, that's the problem. I could make an ice bridge but we don't have any water nearby."

"Wait! I know!"

"Yes, Alex?"

"I can get us down. I mean all I have to do is lift us down on a rock big enough to hold all of us, and we're out."

"That sounds like it could work. Go for it."

Alex moved to the opening in the wall and looked down at the stone street below. He held his hands in front of him and spread his feet shoulder width apart. Squatting into stance he pulled his hands into fists next to his sides and breathed deep and long. He moved is fists in front of his chest, one over the other, and stomped his foot to the metal floor. He pumped both fists upward and maintained his stance, though a little shakily. His brother looked down at the ground and observed a large boulder rocketing up toward the room, and moved his head just in time to avoid being decapitated by the speeding chunk of earth.

"That's too high Alex. Bring it back down! And you could have killed me!"

"Sorry, we'll call it even. And I'm doing my best here."

"Hey, you, wait a minute!"

The three unoccupied prisoners turned to notice the two guards, Jacob and Jacob, who had brought Ethan and Alex in just a few hours before.

"Stop that! Don't you dare try to escape! Jacob, get the cell key and get this door open!"

"I'm on it!"

"Alex, hurry up!"

"I am hurrying! You try earthbending sometime, water boy!"

Caspian looked confused and turned to look at the his earthbender accomplice. "Water boy?"

"It just came out alright! I'm tired and I just want to get out of here and take a nap!"

"Jacob, the key now!"

"I'm trying Jacob! There's a lot of keys here! Wait, I've got it!"

"Alex, we don't have any more time!"

"I'm still trying to steady the thing so we can get on it! Just give me a minute will you!?"

"No longer an option. Sorry guys!"

Caspian reached and grabbed the collar of Brandon's robe and dove toward Ethan and Alex, forcing all four of them through the gaping mouth of the wall and into the air, falling rapidly toward the ground three stories below.

"This is a terrible plan!" Screamed Alex.

"Brandon, you can airbend so I'm counting on you to not die! I'll take care of these two here." He yelled above the rushing air as they plummeted to the ground.

"Don't worry about me, I'll be fine." Spinning his body in a twister like fashion, an air current formed around the yellow robes he wore as his body redirected away from the other three benders. He shot at the ground lightening fast and threw his arms in front of himself last second, commanding a blast of air powerful enough to slow his decent to nothing, allowing him to land gently and gracefully on the concrete road unharmed.

"Do you guys see any water around?"

"Well, since we're falling from the sky, let me take a moment to take in the surroundings from such a nice view!" Ethan glanced around and spotted a small stream crawling across the ground into a drain. "Over there, on the other side of the street!"

"Good. I have to admit first that I've never tried this before."

"Tried what?" Alex yelled.

"Just trust me."

"You knocked us out a window!"

Ignoring the last comment, Caspian spun into a backflip and pulled his hands back and forth through the air, drawing his fingers together as if pulling invisible strings upward. Jerking in a swift movement, he kicked his right leg up and pointed his left foot down, still puppeteering the invisible strings. In a flash, the stream leapt into the sky and shot like a reverse waterfall toward the three boys. The water surrounded all three of them, enclosing them in a twenty foot water slide. Caspian continued the motions shifting his hands from side to side and working his fingers like a pianist. He continued as they descended rapidly toward the earth, as the watery path curved and twisted attempting to slow them down. Angling like a plane coming in for landing, they slid onto the street, rolling and skidding to a stop, breaking the waterbender's motions and causing the liquid chute to collapse back to the earth.

"Well..." Caspian swallowed and breathed heavily as he continued to speak, "that was fun."

Brandon ran to the three of them and spoke anxiously. "Hey guys, I think we should get out of here before they get down here." He pointed up as all four of the young men looked to see both Jacobs standing at the hole in the wall, draws dropped and wide-eyed at what they had just watched.

"Right. Gentlemen," Caspian rose to his feet as the the two brothers did the same, "this is where we run."

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2016
    [[Hello everyone! I know it's been quite a great deal of time since my last chapter post and I apologize for those of you who are still reading it! I hope you'll be renewed to keep reading with this newest installment! It took me time and effort and more thought than I thought possible to get inspiration for this chapter but I hope it's a good one you all like! Next chapter won't take so long to upload I promise! For now, enjoy chapter five!!!]]

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

Chapter 5 - The Chase

Suddenly jerked back to reality by the sound of an explosion, Adam stared wide eyed out the window at the prison two blocks over. Four young men fell from an enormous hole in the wall of the prison that appeared as the dust from the explosion cleared. "What on earth?.."

"Adam!"

He turned to see Alistair standing in the doorway of his office, breathing heavily, evidence that he had just been running. "There's been an escape, in the city prison! Lieutenant Kang is already dispersing men throughout the building and surrounding streets to contain the event, but no one has ever-"

"Blown a hole in the side of that building before." Adam finished the sentence. A suspicious glance and confused expression broke out on Alistair's face.

"How did you know that?"

"City view, remember Alistair? I specifically had this room placed to give me direct sight of the square, the market, and-"

"-The prison. Of course," Finished the man still standing in the doorway. "What are we to do?"

"Allow our officers to do their work. The police in this city can handle an event like this, and, even if they should fail, the E.I.S.S will see to it that it gets taken care of."

Alistair remained in the doorway, still out of breath from the run through the building, but now upright and recomposed, sweeping his disheveled dusty brown hair from his face. He crossed his arms and his countenance changed almost instantly to an aura of supreme authority. He spoke with a slight edge that seemed almost accusatory. "I once remember telling you that the city would not need the E.I.S.S. if we had the benders under control."

"Yes, and how many benders do you know personally who would give up their supposed 'right' to bend without some sort of fight or, at the very least, an argument?"

The authoritative man stood piercing a glare into the neck of the questioner who kept his back to him while still staring out the window at the prison. He relaxed and allowed his hands to fall to his sides and spoke with more grace this time. "I'm always up for a challenge."

Adam thought for a second of these words, knowing they held some darker, deeper, more sinister meaning than at first they appeared. His eyes were still fixed upon, and slightly squinting at, the prison a few streets away as he sighed heavily. He held his hands behind his back with the regality of a king and stated, "I know you are. I believe, if I am to be blunt, that may well be partly the reason we are in the predicament we are in now."

A smile of spite and amusement cut across the darker skinned Alistair as he spat, "Are you referring to the entirety of what we are trying to do? Or the issue you are observing at the prison?"

With but a brief hesitation, and in what can only be described as a vicious whisper, Adam answered both questions with a simple, "Yes."

He stayed his gaze on the scene of the prison. The four boys now fallen and landed on the ground. Leaping up, they headed down the only street toward the west city gate, running full speed, only breaking their focus to yell at each other.

"What kind of plan was that!? What kind of plan is this!?" Yelled Alex as he turned stamping his foot into the ground, sending an explosion of rocks hurtling at the group of twelve officers chasing them, forcing some of them to duck and throw themselves out of the way of the debris.

Caspian turned and slid low across the ground to a halt. "This isn't a plan, I'm improvising!" Looking to his left and seeing a small runoff, he rolled into a front flip, arcing is feet and along with them a cascade of water which, as his feet hit the ground blasted into three of the guards, knocking them unconscious. He continued the roll and landed squat back on his feet, one hand steadying himself on the ground.

"In his defense, I did blow that hole in the wall," yelled Ethan as he jumped high and kicked the air rapidly, sending innumerable bolts of fire flaring at the remaining guards, hitting one square in the chest and rendering him unconscious as well.

"Don't get me started! If you hadn't tried to knock my head off, there wouldn't be a hole in the wall, and if there wasn't a hole in the wall, we wouldn't be trying to escape, and if we weren't trying to escape, THEY WOULDN'T BE AFTER US!"

"Well technically, you kind of started the fight," Brandon said calmly as he flew over holding firm to a wind glider.

"You hush!" The earthbender now flustered and red faced from yelling appeared to be slightly embarrassed as well.

"Well it's too late now! If we don't get to the gate and get out of this city, they're gonna send the E.I.S.S. after us!" The waterbender moved with graceful slow motions sending jets at the guards. "And where did you get that glider?"

"The, eyes?" The giant firebending Ethan stopped, confused and distracted for a moment, until a small object hissed past his face. The guards had begun shooting.

Eight guards still chased, dodging and ducking and running, somehow avoiding the barrage of fire, water, and earth being sent at them, and now firing whenever they got the opening.

"You're not getting away you criminals! It's because of people like you our city is in such chaos and upheaval!" The yelling officer dodged a rock as it bored into the ground next to him. "Give up already, you cowards!"

"Coward?.. COWARD!?" The massive earthbender stopped, still red faced, eyes wide, teeth bared and grit. Blazing with anger and fury. "I have been traveling for months, just got to this city today, was arrested, thrown in a cell, almost punched in the face by my own brother, have been chased through this city, running and stopping and trying to defend myself, and now you call me a coward!?" Adding for good measure, "AND MY FEET HURT!" He turned facing the city guards and plowed his left foot into the street, thrusting his clenched fists upwards; every muscle and vein in his arms flexed and bulged.

A wave of earth shot up and forward, shaking the surrounding shops and apartments with a furious thunder, gaining height with every inch. The officers all stopped dead, panicked and covered in a fearful sweat. In turn they peeled back in a full sprint retreat, but to no effect. The rolling earth was under them before they could react and all eight city officials went airborne, flailing and screaming, and one by one collided back to the earth in an orderly reunion. All of them out cold. Motionless.

"Alex..." The firebender looked speechless.

Alex stood fists still clenched by his sides, breathing heavily, though his red face was now returning to normal. The waterbender stood in shock at what he had just seen, jaw dropped. The airbender had now landed and was standing with the glider closed at his side, using it as a staff. Also speechless. All three watched Alex and waited for him to say something. Slowly he turned and faced them, inhaling and sighing long and tiredly he smiled slightly and spoke, "I guess I got a little frustrated."

Caspian laughed exhaustedly and smiled amusedly, still in shock. "A little frustrated huh? I'd hate to see you get downright angry."

"Yeah, he could level a city block if he wanted to. Haha!" Brandon stood relaxed with the glider still at his side.

Still smiling, Caspian looked over at Brandon and did a double take. "Seriously! Where the heck did you get that glider in the midst of all this?"

The airbender looked down suddenly realizing he still had it, as if he had forgotten it was there to begin with. "Oh! I got it from across the street. When they took me in, my glider was leaning against the wall on the outside of the marketplace. I grabbed it while you guys were falling earlier."

"Wow, you're resourceful." Ethan looked impressed.

"Well anyways, we have to get out of here. We're all wanted now. We escaped, took out twelve guards, and we have to get out of the city. We can work our way down back roads and old alleys to avoid being seen in the open."

"I'll fly overhead and tell you if I see any more officers coming up ahead. That way you'll know whether to turn onto a different street or not."

"Good idea. We have to get to Nishi Gate." Looking and seeing the two brothers' lost expressions, he proceeded, "The west gate. There are four gates into and out of the city. Kita is north, Minami is south, Azuma is east, and Nishi is west, the gate we're headed to. If we can make it outside the city's borders, we'll be free in the open lands. They can't prohibit us from bending there, but we won't be able to come back after that..."

"Well that'll be easy for me and my brother. We just got here. Plus we haven't made such a great first impression, so it's probably best that we leave anyways."

"True. And I don't have connections here. My family is from the north anyways." Brandon turned to seek Caspian's opinion.

" I don't have any reason to stay in the city either... Then, I guess it's settled. We'll head to the city borders and with any luck, we'll be out by sundown. Let's go!"

The four of them gathered their wits and breathes and headed toward the western city, Brandon taking to the air on his glider, the other three sticking to the streets below.

"By the by, I'm, sorry for loosing my temper back there..."

"It's fine. It got us out of a tight spot, plus they were shooting at us. You have nothing to apologize for."

"I always feel bad for loosing my cool. It just, feels wrong."

"I understand, but sometimes you have to lose it and just go all out in order to keep yourself and others safe."

"Don't apologize Alex. I never do." Ethan smiled deviously running alongside his brother.

"Besides, we still have to get out of the city. I know the police force well enough to know that once they find out that the officials couldn't stop us, they'll send the E.I.S.S. after us."

"What are the, did you say eyes? Anyways?" The larger brother looked concerned.

"It's pronounced like eyes, yes. It's spelled E-I-S-S. It's an acronym, it stands for Enforcement of Internal and Social Security. They're the guys the city sets loose on more than the average criminal. Guys the officers can't catch. Guys like us apparently."

"What are they?"

"They're a group of elite benders. Mainly earthbenders and firebenders, though a few waterbenders and maybe one airbender are among their ranks. The city outlawed all other bending except for that special task force installed to diminish crime rates and dissuade nonbending baddies from the crime life. In a perfect world, a world that the city government wants to create, the E.I.S.S. is disbanded and all benders have receded to a life of simplicity, a life without the use of their bending, in order to accommodate the other civilians in the city. That's why the E.I.S.S. was formed. To eradicate illegal bending and as a power show to make it clear to the city that bending, especially for antisocial use, is strictly and completely prohibited."

"That seems a bit extreme doesn't it?" Alex asked with a touch of indignation in his voice.

"Extreme maybe. But then again, what you did today also seemed a bit extreme did it not?" Caspian turned, smiling that kind of smile that gets a point across without being malicious or attacking.

Alex softened his face to a mild smile. "I understand. It does make sense they would be afraid of people without conscience or control, willing to do anything. To be disruptive. To cause harm and destruction."

"Precisely."

They kept up a running pace, Brandon flying above and ahead yelling down whenever he saw guards, as the three on the ground adjusted accordingly, taking back streets and alternate routes to avoid being seen or caught. Occasionally they took breaks, resting under overhangs and in alleyways, out of sight and away from crowds. After several hours they hid near a crowded business street. They scrounged the ground for loose change until they had enough to buy with. Caspian took the money and slipped through the streets to the nearest restaurant with a large enough crowd in which to remain inconspicuous, purchased a few bags of food, and brought it back. They enjoyed a quick peaceful lunch next to the back door of an old run down apartment complex.

Afterwards, they took to moving swiftly through back alleyways, getting closer to the west half of the city and Nishi Gate. The commotion had not yet died down and guards still patrolled the city at all points looking for the fugitives. Still ducking into hallways and hiding behind dumpsters and cars and carts, they managed a path to the western edge of the city, and the gate.

"There it is," the waterbender leaned against the corner of a building, hair out of place and breathing fast from the running they had been doing all day. "That's Nishi Gate and on the other side, freedom of municipal jurisdiction."

"So how do we get out, I mean, can we just walk out?"

"They'll have guards posted at all four gates, so we won't just be walking anywhere," he replied to the larger firebending brother. "Our best bet will be to blend with the crowd, keep our heads low, and try not to get spotted until we're right up on the gate. Then, even if they do see us, we bolt like quicksilver through the doors before they slam shut in our faces."

"So we basically have to go for it and hope for the best?"

"Yeah pretty much."

"Sweet! I like daring risks. They're fun and not boring or monotonous!"

Caspian turned and glared with some sort of feeling, admiration perhaps, at the tall heavily built young man. In his mind, he wondered if this stranger from a provincial town was a lunatic, the village idiot. In his heart, he wondered if this courage, this reckless abandon attitude, was not motivated by something else. He shook away the thoughts and turned back to face the gate. "On the count of three we'll move into the crowd, nice and easy, to avoid suspicion. Then, follow me the rest of the way. When I say, we bolt for the exit. Ready?" Inhaling a long and steady breath, he closed his eyes, praying maybe as he did so, and sighed, "One." Another breath in, faster this time, sighing again, "Two." One final quick breath in.

"Three," Caspian had not yet stopped exhaling, but wondered the same if the sound came from his own lips. To his confusion he realized, it had not. A third voice had called, from the back of the group, from behind all four young men, a familiar voice rang a hollow and heavy tone.

"Well? I thought we were moving on three?" Lieutenant Cho Kang, of the Dau Lang Police Force stood with an eyebrow raised, hands behind his back.

Back