• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Legendary Bird Trio

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
  • This is a hard one for me to pick actually, but I will have to say Zapdos. This is because I still have an original and legitimate Pokemon card of Zapdos which I used to show off to friends all the time as a kid. It's an integral part of my childhood collection and so I suppose I have a natural nostalgia toward it, despite not really obsessing over it in the anime, games or manga.

I do love the other two, though.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    When I was young my favorite was Articuno, as I grow up that spot was taken by Zapdos. Zapdos in my opinion is the strongest among its peers. :)

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • Zapdos was always my favourite as a kid! It was just so tough in the Pokémon: 2000 movie! It's design was always awesome too! I could never ever get through Mt. Thunder (or whatever it was called) in Mystery Dungeon as a kid too, and Zapdos was so tough as a boss which probably made me hate it subconsciously!

Articuno's design is so cool as well. It's huge flaw is being 4x weak to Stealth Rock, which cripples it as far as Competitive Usage goes! I love that though at it's eligible in the NU/PU tiers which I have the most fun playing! It's so bulky and strong and just a really good Pokémon overall!

However, Moltres is my favourite now! I used it in my original FireRed playthrough as a kid (pairing it with Charizard...) and thinking I'd be able to walk the ICE TYPE Elite Four member Lorelei! Needless to say it got bodied lol. I loved Moltres as the first Legendary you take on in the original Mystery Dungeon games too, it was just really cool and started off that whole really sad storyline (which is the best Pokémon has ever done imo!!!!!!!!). I love running it in RU too, such an absolute monster.

Years
  • Zapdos has always been my favorite. It was the first of the trio I ever caught. I also love its design and I used it a lot in the original games. Nostalgic Pokemon for me :3

Years
  • Somewhat between Zapdos and Articuno. I always thought Zapdos looked neat, and I thought its typing was awesome, although Articuno definitely was the prettiest of the three. I would have liked them all near equally if it weren't for Moltres, which I don't mind but it's just...not quite as interesting as the other two are to me, I guess? Not just in looks but also in typing. "Oh...another fire/flying, yawn compared to the other two birds then."

And yet I think Moltres is the only one I ever really tried using in a team back then, ah ha. Didn't last for long though. I don't recall being a big fan of using legendaries.

Ashes to Ashes

Serenade of Cerne
    Years
  • Zapdos >>> Moltres > Articuno

I like Fire more than Electric but Zapdos is much better. Dont like any of them much by design but Zapdos is the least off putting.

Tiger In A Tie

Tigers can train Pokemon, too.
    Years
  • I like Articuno and Zapdos. I never used the birds for anything though. However I did have some cool Zapdos toys as a kid; one I still have that's just a huge plastic figure and the other was smaller and shot fake lightning bolts from its wings.

Cloudy J

Cloud Queen
    Years
    • Age 24
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 16, 2018
    I liked Zapdos, the jagged design and the Z in the name I loved about it. I wouldn't use one though, I would pick Mewtwo over Zapdos and if I could, Mew over that.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    I had Moltres in my first ever game - Blue. After that though I always went with Zapdos. Never really used Articuno - I was more a fan of Lapras if I wanted to use ice.

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2015
    Zapdos for sure. Was my favourite Pokemon, the one I used the most and my undefeated champion when I played at school.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    The bird trio has always been my favorite and now a days I can say I like all three but as one who loves electric type Zapdos takes may vote. :D

Years
  • Articuno was mine based off of aesthetics alone. I usually hooked up my team with a Zapdos or Moltres unless I had a Gyarados with thunderbolt or an Arcanine.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • It's a hard tossup between Moltres and Zapdos. I always end up boxing Articuno as soon as I get it, but depending on who my starter was that would decide who I used between the other two. I usually go with Venusaur as my starter so most of the time I use Zapdos.

Back