• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Editing the intro battle FR/LG

azoula

Trainer from Beginning
Years
  • The Sprites are made by JoshR691
    Programs:
    Unlz
    NTME
    APE
    Sphere Editor
    FreeSpaceFinder
    IrfanView

Lets start

Nidorino
    Spoiler:

Gengar
    Spoiler:

Background
    Spoiler:

End Result
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

~SAGE

Peruvian Rom Hacker
    Years
  • No replies? what the hell? this is amazing!!!
    we'll can finally edit the intro
    is this a dream? :D

PD: Do u know the offset and how to edit the forest background of the intro?

azoula

Trainer from Beginning
    Years
  • No replies? what the hell? this is amazing!!!
    we'll can finally edit the intro
    is this a dream? :D

PD: Do u know the offset and how to edit the forest background of the intro?

Lol I forgot :P, I have added it.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • Dude this job on this! Glad someone finally documented everything on this.

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
  • Dude! This is one of the most useful and understandable tutorials around! Should have been stickied!

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    It's nice to see someone finally documenting this aspect of FireRed! :) You do a decent job of explaining things too.

Do you think it would be possible for you to create a simple list of relevant offsets/palettes needed, so advanced users don't need to go digging through the tutorial to find them?

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • I'm having trouble learning how to use some of these tools. If someone can explain it to me in detail to a poor beginner, that'll help.

I located the Nidorino sprite (at 229, not 234. Not sure if that's a tutorial error or difference in roms?), opened it in paint and pasted the sprite I wanted to use over it in the same dimensions.
    Then I opened the same png file -now with the new sprite- in irfanview and decreased color, saved palette, etc.
    Then I opened unLZ again, opened the rom, and imported the png file, and clicked Write to Rom.
    The Rom export Options are as follows
    [x]Export Image [x]Auto abort if new data is bigger
    [ ]Export Palette [ ]Automatically fix pointers
    Image Offset: [004096CC]
    Palette Offset: [0041EEA4]
    Exporting in 16 color mode

The error I get is that Compressed size is 5E4.

So I'm using FreeSpaceFinder. I'm still learning about offsets and, but how do I do know how many bytes I need? FSF looks for 256 in FF, with a Skip Interval of 256. Offset 161C00 comes up, but when I change the Image Offset in unLZ from 004096CC to 00161C00 and click OK, literally nothing happens. The Export Options dialog box just disappears and nothing changes.

Back