• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

User Anon 1848

Thanks Hikamaru, I was hoping that was the case. If anyone knows for sure though please let me know. : )

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    hey guys i never played 4th gen before. and i think i might start soon. i want to build a 4 unit physical team.
    infernape, luxray, gyarados, and scizzor and some hm slave. is this a good team or am i going to get murdered by the elite 4 and champion? is scyther and magikarp even obtainable in early game?

Years
  • I assume you are talking about Sinnoh?
    Everyone up to Cynthia are easy to deal with. She is gonna be a problem. Especially, probably Garchomp and the Spiritomb. The rest of the game should be fine too.
    I think Magikarp is, but Scyther not so much. You can see it online.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    I assume you are talking about Sinnoh?
    Everyone up to Cynthia are easy to deal with. She is gonna be a problem. Especially, probably Garchomp and the Spiritomb. The rest of the game should be fine too.
    I think Magikarp is, but Scyther not so much. You can see it online.

switching lucario for scizzor would work right? there would be TMs for icepunch and shadowball right?

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    hey which is better against the elite 4 psychic type?
    TM shadow ball or TM shadow claw?
    i am using Lucario + quick claw for that match.

Years
  • hey which is better against the elite 4 psychic type?
    TM shadow ball or TM shadow claw?
    i am using Lucario + quick claw for that match.

Lucario's stats don't have much difference as far as the offenses go. But looking at Shadow Claw vs Shadow Ball, I'd use Shadow Ball since it does have a higher base power.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Lucario's stats don't have much difference as far as the offenses go. But looking at Shadow Claw vs Shadow Ball, I'd use Shadow Ball since it does have a higher base power.

is anyone able to calculate the difference in crit rate for shadow claw and any other physical attack? the description on the TM for shadow claw says high crit ratio. so if it crits more than it doesn't would that mean shadow claw has power 140 and sometimes drops to 70? and for psychic types it also makes sense to have higher special defense than physical defense right? i will try shadow claw on riolu now and see how the crit rate goes.

Years
  • is anyone able to calculate the difference in crit rate for shadow claw and any other physical attack? the description on the TM for shadow claw says high crit ratio. so if it crits more than it doesn't would that mean shadow claw has power 140 and sometimes drops to 70? and for psychic types it also makes sense to have higher special defense than physical defense right? i will try shadow claw on riolu now and see how the crit rate goes.

At the question I bolded, nope. It just is more likely to crit than another attack; it doesn't work like "almost always guarantees a crit and sometimes doesn't crit".

In short, your average attack has a crit rate of 6.25% (or the probability to land a crit is 1 out of 16 hits). "High crit ratio" boosts that to 12.5% (1 out of 8 hits). Had too look it up Bulbapedia for the numbers, because as much as I'm aware of general crit mechanics, I didn't know the numbers XD;;.

If you wanna rely on crits, you might wanna stack up on Dire Hits (or Lansat berries) and use a Razor Claw/Scope Lens instead of a Quick Claw.

In which case I might go with Shadow Ball, but that depends of your stats and all, or even if you wanna stick with physical attacks (in which case Shadow Claw could come in handy). I don't know remember the Psychic Elite 4 in Gen IV, but watch out for Barrier/Light Screen/Reflect.

Years
  • I don't know remember the Psychic Elite 4 in Gen IV, but watch out for Barrier/Light Screen/Reflect.

Can you specify which game you are playing? Lucian has a few team differences between D/P and Platinum. Three of his Pokemon are the same between versions - Mr. Mime, Alakazam and Bronzong (who of course is only weak to Fire due to having Levitate). In D/P he also has Girafarig and Medicham, but replaces them in Platinum with Espeon and his new ace Gallade.

Years
  • Can you specify which game you are playing? Lucian has a few team differences between D/P and Platinum. Three of his Pokemon are the same between versions - Mr. Mime, Alakazam and Bronzong (who of course is only weak to Fire due to having Levitate). In D/P he also has Girafarig and Medicham, but replaces them in Platinum with Espeon and his new ace Gallade.

XD I'm actually not playing them, unless you meant to reply to him using my quote, I don't know. I was mentioning those moves 'cause 1. they're fairly common moves on Psychic 'mons and could alter his decision of bringing a physical or special move, 2. I haven't beaten a Gen IV game since Diamond years ago and that, I haven't looked up XD;;;. But yeah, I agree, in that case, whichever version he's using would play on his setup.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    platinum.

1/8 is not "high" crit ratio. gamefreak needs to review what high crit means. razor claw boosts flying type attacks right???

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    just did a quick check on Lucian's team. all of them have beast special defense and most have terrible physical defense. guess that means i am going with shadow claw :O

HawksFan97

I'm Still Alive!
    Years
  • Hello! Im playing Diamond, and approaching the 3rd gym, training and levelling up my team which are:

Grotle (Pangaea, Level 21)
    Crowy (Murkrow, Level 26)
    Slimtastic (Shellos, Level 25)
    Orion (Staravia, Level 24)

what level should i train these pokemon up to, in order for me to be fully prepared for Maylene?

Thanks!

~AC97

Years
  • Hello! Im playing Diamond, and approaching the 3rd gym, training and levelling up my team which are:

Grotle (Pangaea, Level 21)
    Crowy (Murkrow, Level 26)
    Slimtastic (Shellos, Level 25)
    Orion (Staravia, Level 24)

what level should i train these pokemon up to, in order for me to be fully prepared for Maylene?

Thanks!

~AC97

Her team are around Levels 27-30 (her first two, Meditite and Machoke are 27 while Lucario, who is her ace, is at 30) so your team is actually close to getting to her levels. But I do see you have two Flying-types with you and that is redundant, also Staravia naturally evolves by leveling whereas Murkrow needs a Dusk Stone, and I recall one is actually found in the warehouse in Veilstone City where Maylene's Gym is also. Make sure Shellos evolves and you have a Ground-type move since Flying moves aren't super-effective on Lucario.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    how does the buffing mechanic work? in 4th gen and 5th gen and 6th gen?
    if i use calmmind or dragondance or sworddance or any buff and then switch to a different unit, then switch back to the first unit, is the stat boost still in effect?

Years
  • how does the buffing mechanic work? in 4th gen and 5th gen and 6th gen?
    if i use calmmind or dragondance or sworddance or any buff and then switch to a different unit, then switch back to the first unit, is the stat boost still in effect?

Stat boosts always reset when you switch out, unless if you use Baton Pass, which does carry all stat boosts (and status conditions) over to the next Pokemon you switch in.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back