• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Which storyline was better?

Which storyline was better?

• B2/W2

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • B/W

Votes: 25 64.1%

• Total voters
Years
  • As the title suggests. Out of B2/W2 and B/W, which of the two storylines did you find more exciting/interesting?

For me it was B/W. That scene where all the gym leaders (except the first ones damn slackers) come and battle the sages was pretty cool.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Black/White's story was the better one to me. Not that Black2/White2's was bad, but it started to slip back into generic villain plot type things sometimes. Ghetsis was great in both stories though.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Both BW and B2W2's story plots are great, but I think the first one's story was very unique that it shines at the end. How the unusual way villain's ideals was (liberating Pokémon), N's uniqueness as a Team Plasma's 'boss', and the N's Castle scene, these just tells how awesome Black and White's story are.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2015
    Black and White definitely had a better storyline. B&W2 had good storyline's also, but it still felt a little bit like a re make kind of game to me.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Like majority of us here, I would have to side with Black and White as well.

Black 2 and White 2 are unique in their own right, for sure, but what I kind of disliked about these two is, they are meant to be sequels, and although there are definitely reasons as to why they should remain connected to original titles due to this, I feel that they had taken it a little too far, causing things to seem rather like a rehash than anything (well, at least in my eyes).

Had these two games been slightly more distinct from Black and White, I believe they would have been more enjoyable in general.

Years
  • I think this is pretty decisive; everyone thinks B2/W2 is good, but thinks B/W is a lot better

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2015
    Black & White had a dynamic contrast as supposed to the other games, I favored it more

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • BW story was better for me as charen and bianca being rivals was better and I like the gym designs more in originals games too and meeting N a couple of times in the game and then iris was absolutely great.

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2021
    I liked B/W 2 better cuz of that amazing 3D imagery of the legendary pokemon. Just made me load that part again and again!

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • I liked bw2 team plasmas uniforms were better and they were going for kyurem which no one even knew about well till then although the one negative is Pokemon fusion why?!?!

Years
  • I'll be in the minority and say that B2W2 was better than BW. Both stories were good, but I honestly thought that B2W2 had more to offer, and I liked the new areas to Unova as well.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I'll be in the minority and say that B2W2 was better than BW. Both stories were good, but I honestly thought that B2W2 had more to offer, and I liked the new areas to Unova as well.

This is the reason why I liked B2W2 as a whole better; however, when just thinking about storylines I think that BW's endgame was really great, which pushes it about the sequels for me. I really loved the new areas too, but that doesn't really have to do with the storyline and such. Plus, I felt like B2W2 was just a +1 add-on to BW, which I loved, so I don't feel it was as fleshed out as the original was.

Years
  • I think some people are mis-seeing the meaning of the thread here...

Anyway, while I do love BW's story quite a bit, I do want to give credit to B2W2's story for two things: one, a rival with a troubled past who has been at what he wants for years, and two, the main villain going so far as to attempt to physically harm you, which is the first in the series to do that. XY's did too (well, in Y at least), but it is something that I remember this one for.

Years
  • I think some people are mis-seeing the meaning of the thread here...

Anyway, while I do love BW's story quite a bit, I do want to give credit to B2W2's story for two things: one, a rival with a troubled past who has been at what he wants for years, and two, the main villain going so far as to attempt to physically harm you, which is the first in the series to do that. XY's did too (well, in Y at least), but it is something that I remember this one for.

I am totally agreeing with you here, my beloved 5th Gen enthusiast.

As much as I loved Black & White's story, I think the sequels went even darker. The backstory where your rival tries to find his sister's Purrloin only to discover it evolved into a Liepard that only listens to Team Plasma's commands, and Ghetsis attempting to kill you with Kyurem's Glaciate are pretty much moments I consider "dark" for a game aimed mainly at kids.

I have to totally give Game Freak credit for taking the storyline down a more darker route this generation that's for sure.

PsyKiss

Not So Innocent Cutie Pie
    Years
  • I actually didn't like Black 2's story that much, it was a simple revenge plot, and to be honest once they said it was a sequal I knew everything about it from start to end before I even turned it on. The first ones had me on edge at least, and I didn't know what was going to happen. It was kind of surpising, and all the charachters were engaging. Because of the engaging characters it made Unova feel a lot nicer than it did in BW2 which made Unova feel kind of busy and a bit rushed to be honest.

classicpaul64

PokeTuber
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    I liked Black/White's storyline better. B2/W2 was an interesting idea, but something about it didn't quite have me sold. N's story was better in the first one, although I still have no idea how N's castle could have possibly been built surrounding the Pokemon League building, and in that entire time, NO ONE in the League ever looked outside and questioned what the construction was going on.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • I enjoyed B2/W2 more. It was really dark and went down a path that pokemon usually never takes. It was pretty cool to learn more about it as the story went on.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    I'd go with BW/2. I did love thw B/W story, how it was Ghetists plan from the very beginning to fool his entire Team into thinking they were liberating Pokemon. I loved that making Ghetists mt favorite Pokemon villain ever. I like B2/W2 better because the story seemed a little deeper and darker to me. Ghetists was back and more devilish then ever. He would stop at nothing to get his plan seen through. Especially the encounter with him and Kyurem, when he almost kills the main character. He seemed closer to achieving his plan, he even froze Opelucid City. I found him 2x darker in this. He got a legendary Pokemon that eats people under his control. I loved B2/W2's story the most.

Back