• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Target Canada to cease operations by the end of 2015

Years
If this is a sign of anything to come, then i'm just hoping that the Target stores in the US don't go through a gigantic deficit in money and end up being discontinued like Circuit City ended up being. But with a much higher ratio in the US, it's probably likely that they'll be able to save that side from going too far below. I still feel bad for the people who are about to get cut out here, though.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I got your back buddy. Here's the article:

Spoiler:

I'm not too surprised at hearing this. They have been hit harder than most with cybernetic attacks and credit fraud, and having the losses recorded and having to pay out on top of it certainly does add up over time. It will hit pretty hard across the board and I'll be sad to see them go. They've always given some great deals on video games and other wares and given a fair amount of competition. I hope that they can recover from this loss and eventually make their way back into your markets, but until then, let's hope they can still stand and make a come back this year, hm?

Also, I feel for you in the loss of your job. I've had this happen a couple of times and it always sucks, but it's better to have 'terminated due to closure' on your resume than something less pleasant. Hope you can find another before they pull out.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
If this is a sign of anything to come, then i'm just hoping that the Target stores in the US don't go through a gigantic deficit in money and end up being discontinued like Circuit City ended up being. But with a much higher ratio in the US, it's probably likely that they'll be able to save that side from going too far below. I still feel bad for the people who are about to get cut out here, though.
Target US is probably just fine.

The problem with their Canadian expansion is they spread too far, too fast. As far as I know, they didn't even have their distribution centres in place when they opened here so they struggled to keep stock on the shelves in their stores. Instead of just picking a small market (such as one province, or even one section of a province like just Southern Ontario... hell, even something like just the Toronto or Ottawa areas) and expanding from there once they saw success, they opened up in all of Canada, essentially all at once. The Target at my local mall never had noticeable problems but there were sooo many horror stories of completely empty shelves, running out of stock before every sale, and so on. The whole thing sounded like a mess.

Plus, the price point didn't really make Target stand out at all here. I remember being really impressed the first time I went to a Target in the US because everything was so cheap and the store/product quality was a well above Walmart. Here? Well, I guess the item quality might be above Walmart but Walmarts here are generally pretty nice and the prices at Walmart are WAY cheaper than anything at Target. When Target announced its expansion into Canada, people assumed they'd be getting the same kinds of prices that American Targets have, but everything was marked up (just like Amazon.com vs Amazon.ca) and there really wasn't any good reason to shop there if it wasn't drastically more convenient than Walmart. (I know I'm comparing them pretty heavily but they are practically the same store and they fill the same role here... a role that not many other stores fill in Canada.) There were some good sales from time to time, but I've heard so many complaints that they weren't worth it because so often the product on sale was never even stocked in the stores.

So Target US loses its investment money here but their stores likely aren't plagued with the logistics/pricing issues ours were, so I doubt they'll face the same problems.

I'm sad that Target is dropping out, though, because it was the most convenient department store to get to for me. Plus, it had the only Starbucks in our mall and the only alternative is Tim Hortons, uggh. :'( Looking forward to the liquidation sales though, I guess.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
Years
I guess they couldn't keep up with their rival companies. Its a dog-eat-dog world out there for the big commercial markets. Along with all these regulations and other needed papers, it only dwindles down to how much money you are going to make at the end of the quarter and how much you are spending to keep your employees paid and your store's stock available.

Years
@ Cherrim, that is so unpatriotic to despise Tim Hortons :p

I would so be hitting up Target if I were back up north. I wonder how they will handle gaming products. Unless they plan to move them back to the US.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Happy incoming liquidation sales, Canada! \o/

I was on this all day sharing my anticipation.

The staff at Target was very nice, but upper management simply botched the whole launch. They announced they were entering Canada in 2011. They actually first opened in... what, early-mid 2013? We're in the first month of 2015 now and they already have like 120-something stores. We are a large, sparse country with a population that could fit inside California. There is no reason to expand that much that fast. Especially when they didn't have a handle on their distribution. You can go online and finds threads of pictures of empty store shelves.

Even when they had stock in the back, policy was not to restock until instructed. Which is a major disservice to the customer.

No eCommerce presence, which rendered them with a useless website. And made taking advantage of a sale a real pain because each location did their own thing, unadvertised at that.

The goods they carried did not match the idea of "Targé" that cross-border shoppers have come to expect. Nor the prices. You were just an overpriced, friendly, nice looking Wal-Mart.

Years
I guess they couldn't keep up with their rival companies. Its a dog-eat-dog world out there for the big commercial markets. Along with all these regulations and other needed papers, it only dwindles down to how much money you are going to make at the end of the quarter and how much you are spending to keep your employees paid and your store's stock available.

Most failures by companies to expand into other countries is a failure to network with distributors and a general lack of familiarity with distribution means in the new country. Very few have the resources to weather it, and Target didn't want to find out whether they have the resources to weather a botched foreign expansion.

Target Corp USA isn't really in any danger. Despite having sunk $1 billion into the Canada expansion in fiscal year 2013, they still had $1.9 billion in profit.

I'm unable to copy and paste the article at the moment (I'll ammend this later), but Target Canada announced that all Canadian stores will be closing following a $1 billion deficit in 2014.

Source: http://pressroom.target.ca/news/tar...nces-plans-to-discontinue-canadian-operations

As an employee of Target Canada, I'm sad to hear this news, but I guess their plans were just a tad too ambitious. Any other fellow Canadians/Target TMs have any opinions or thoughts?

Too ambitious, yes, but they didn't do as much research as they probably should have. They really should have solidified that distribution network of theirs beforehand, including getting their distribution centers up and running. Those distribution centers are crucial to their success in the USA.

Well, I guess the item quality might be above Walmart but Walmarts here are generally pretty nice and the prices at Walmart are WAY cheaper than anything at Target.

This is the thing that baffles me. In the USA, Target is every bit as cheap as Wal-Mart. In fact, in my area, its cheaper to get the basics at Target rather than Wal-Mart. Actually, I could probably take a few guesses as to the cause of the price differences (poor management of their distribution network in Canada, probably).

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Most failures by companies to expand into other countries is a failure to network with distributors and a general lack of familiarity with distribution means in the new country. Very few have the resources to weather it, and Target didn't want to find out whether they have the resources to weather a botched foreign expansion.

Target Corp USA isn't really in any danger. Despite having sunk $1 billion into the Canada expansion in fiscal year 2013, they still had $1.9 billion in profit.

Too ambitious, yes, but they didn't do as much research as they probably should have. They really should have solidified that distribution network of theirs beforehand, including getting their distribution centers up and running. Those distribution centers are crucial to their success in the USA.

This is the thing that baffles me. In the USA, Target is every bit as cheap as Wal-Mart. In fact, in my area, its cheaper to get the basics at Target rather than Wal-Mart. Actually, I could probably take a few guesses as to the cause of the price differences (poor management of their distribution network in Canada, probably).

I saw an article (it was Slate of all things) showing the Canadian Targets with barely any stock...so that (lack of copies of a product due to poor management) is likely why.
They really messed up...

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Actually, I could probably take a few guesses as to the cause of the price differences (poor management of their distribution network in Canada, probably).
I really think Target Canada is going to go down in business/management textbooks as an example of how not do things. They botched it since day one

Years
It almost looks to me like Target used US demographics and just assumed that Canada had the same kind of exorbitant market economy for the kind of wares Target would normally sell, which is incredibly dumb of them to assume. Canada doesn't strike me as being made up of suburban, "two kids, white pickett fence and a BMW" americana like a Californian or New York suburb would be.

And the logistics of opening 125 stores in only two-ish years is nothing short of insanity. There's no way to turn a profit by opening that much, that quickly, and especially if the marketbase isn't there to sustain the investments Target made.

Years
While I do feel bad for the employees since it wasn't their fault, all of the higher ups got too ambitious far too quickly, which lead to the downfall of the company's northern expansion. Target up here was nothing like what I remembered seeing whenever I've been to the U.S., and aside from some of their grocery items, Walmart always seems to have better pricing and a larger selection. So much better in fact, that I'd rather go out of my way to Walmart to get what I need instead of heading to Target, even though I work in the same mall as one. Speaking of which, considering we're the defacto #2 in the mall behind Target, it should be interesting to see what happens when they close their doors, especially if it's near the end of 2015, close to the big Christmas rush.

Adding to the people who've taken pictures of Target's empty shelves, I took some of my own not too long ago- and these were only a few of the ones I bothered saving (I think took about a dozen as I walked around the store).

Spoiler:

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
Years
Adding to the people who've taken pictures of Target's empty shelves, I took some of my own not too long ago- and these were only a few of the ones I bothered saving (I think took about a dozen as I walked around the store).

Spoiler:

Holy crowbars batman, thats how it looks in the Target near me. But, yeah... I actually feel that Target might be on its way out at this rate.

Light Espeon

Striving To Be Smarter
Years
I had an interview for a Target Canada job posting and I didn't get the position, although now it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Retail chains for the most part have had huge profitability issues across the spectrum lately, and I personally feel it's because there are too many different chains all focusing on the same markets. Brand loyalty doesn't mean as much anymore as consumers are far more cautious with spending their discretionary income ever since the 2007-2009 financial meltdown.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
Its a shame, but I think Target is making the right move here. They aren't seeing large enough profit and its better to pull out now than spend far too long and far too much money to turn a profit. I can see them likely returning once they have a better plan figured out. That being said its not like they are just saying, "Well we screwed up and now you all suffer." From what I understand they are trying to set up some sort of fund for employees to give them all something like 16 weeks worth of compensation. And on top of that, Sears is holding their hand out to all ex Target Canada employees. They told them to apply, and while they can't give everyone who lost their job a job I'm sure they'll be looking out for applicants who mention Target Canada. They also are offering the employee discount to those affected by the Target closures.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
It almost looks to me like Target used US demographics and just assumed that Canada had the same kind of exorbitant market economy for the kind of wares Target would normally sell, which is incredibly dumb of them to assume. Canada doesn't strike me as being made up of suburban, "two kids, white pickett fence and a BMW" americana like a Californian or New York suburb would be.
Isn't Target supposed to be cheap? Canadians who cross border shop come back and rave about Target and their prices. Not exorbitant. What they sell and the prices they sell it at is what we wanted and expected. If they did that, they would have been fine. We got nothing special, at prices that were too high instead.

Ontario is actually one of the most competitive retail spaces. It's up there with Germany

Back