• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hacking & Genning

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Before, I always thought that there was no difference between [hacking] and [genning]. I mean, they're practically the same: creating 'mons with no effort and putting them into your game. Simple, right? Well, it was, for me at least, until I saw this [reddit post].

Now I haven't watched the video yet. Well, I tried but the audio is too low on my headphones and I can't really watch it properly since I am still at work as I type this. But I have read the comments.

From what I have gathered, [genning] is creating 'mons that are legal, while [hacking] is creating 'mons that are illegal. That is the only difference I now see in them.

The reason I brought it here is to ask the community what they think of it. At the moment, the community considers both as hacks and are unacceptable, because the 'mons created are made outside the game. But if [genning] were suddenly allowed here, that would probably increase trade requests and the time to do them would be fast as well. However, this will remove the fun in breeding and training the Pokémon.

Thoughts?

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • You can hack or gen 'legal' Pokemon, but they wouldn't be legitimate. Genning and hacking are effectively the same thing, but hacking is where you use some sort of device to hack the game and genning is using a program to create a Pokemon (and then injecting it into the game).

I don't think genning would increase activity. I think hacking of any sort kills trading activity; note the nosedive in trades worldwide after Powersaves came out.

hhDude

Freeky Deeky
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2017
    My only issue with genning would be events. It's in my own opinion the "final frontier" as far collecting goes, and if you can just inject whatever event you want you're kind of cheating others out of a legitimate event. And I guess that's also an opinion because they are "legal" and not everyone cares as much as I do as long as they get that event.

I've seen plenty of shiny 5-6IV legendaries offered with no real important questions asked by the people that want them. Never mind the chances of that actually spawning in the game are 1/1,000,000 lottery odds. But it's "legal" so no foul. I've honestly stopped caring about if normal shiny Pokemon are legit because there's really no way to tell anymore with the PID codes. Again an opinion but I think genned mons have been making the rounds for awhile.

Years
  • I personally see both gen and hack as the same thing. I choose not to do either because I have played pokemon for ever and am accustomed to creating my own pokemon. The excitement you get from finding the right pair of pokemon is only rivaled by the feeling you get when you hatch that pokemon that is suitable for your specific needs. Technology has made most people in today's world lazy and as a result games tend to lose their fun since no effort is required to grab the pokemon you want.

GoldLuxray

Intermediately Experienced Player
    Years
  • Hacking or genning will net you the same end result. But you dont get that attachment to the pokemon. I remember spending hours apon hours breeding and doing specific things so i could have an Infernape with Blaze Kick and ThunderPunch. This involved a bit of trickery with a Ampharos and a Blaziken and a couple of middle-man pokemon because one of them wouldnt breed with chimchar, so i had to find a pokemon with the same egg groups as chimchar and ampharos, and could learn thunderpunch as an egg move. Then hidden moves, good nature, and iv's? Took me a good week with a few hours a night until i got it. And damn did it feel good. Better than hatching a random shiny i tell you. That infernape has followed me across 2 generations now and will be accompanying me to the Alohan region as well.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Hacking and Genning are the same result from different avenues. There is virtually no way to tell if a Legal Pokémon is hacked or not. The most obvious signs are the illegal Pokéballs people give their Pokémon, but that makes the Pokémon Illegal.

The only real way to tell if a Pokémon is Legal or Legit is to breed it yourself. This is why I only tend to want Events that I've missed. When I trade for Hidden Ability Pokémon, I don't know if it was Hacked or Genned, so I use them as breeding parents. The Pokémon I breed myself will be Legit.

I'm weird though, most people are perfectly okay with Cloning. I don't see how Cloning is any different than Hacking or Genning really. Again, the only time I really find a use for it is to find Events that I've missed. The Pokémon Company is really to blame for that though.

All in all, my Living HA Dex is full of Pokémon with my OT or they are Events. It is the only way to tell. All of my Competitive Shiny are my own OT as well. If there are 100 copies of my Pokémon floating around, how Legit is that?

You also have to figure, probably 95%+ of 6IV Shiny Japanese Ditto are Hacks. You can go on most Forums and find the same Ditto.

Long story short, do you care? I really don't. Hacking, Genning, Cloning all breaks down to cheating. It is something the Pokémon Company didn't intend people to do.

I will Clone my Pokémon for friends, although I can't clone myself. I don't personally Hack or Gen, but at the end of the day, just give me what I want and I'll breed it to make Legit babies.

Back