• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NDS Music Editing

1UpedAngel

Some guy who's there
Years
Hi, I'm new here, obviously, but I found a file way back with the full Black and White soundtrack (course, they were mp3s), and was wondering if it was possible to put those songs into SoulSilver, cuz when I got them they were in what I believed to be HEX numbers/sequences. If not, crap, if so, tell me please.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Hi, I'm new here, obviously, but I found a file way back with the full Black and White soundtrack (course, they were mp3s), and was wondering if it was possible to put those songs into SoulSilver, cuz when I got them they were in what I believed to be HEX numbers/sequences. If not, crap, if so, tell me please.

Yes, it's possible to do that by porting the sequence data from BW to HGSS. But you will face the problem that the instruments don't sound as in Black and White because of the soundbank. Of course, you can also port the soundbanks from BW, but it's tricky and only for experienced hackers (you will have to do A LOT of work in hex)

1UpedAngel

Some guy who's there
Years
No, you cannot. You can, however, port the .sseq files and .sdat files of the songs you like and put them in Soul Silver. This requires knowledge of a file viewer and a hex editor.

Dern, I don't have those. Like I said, this was WAAAY back. I don't even remember where I got them. But could you please send me the sound back for HGSS? I'd really like to try. But I'm stupid (and yes, I have the courage to admit it).

EDIT: Nvm, found the file. God, I'm stupid.

BTW, I'm only trying to replace the Champion's theme in SoulSilver, and..........yeah.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
It can easily be extracted from the game ROM using the VGM Trans program mentioned in the first post, by right clicking the needed files and choosing the option to "Save as original format" instead.

Last edited:

1UpedAngel

Some guy who's there
Years
It can easily be extracted from the game ROM using the VGM Trans program mentioned in the first post, by right clicking the needed files and choosing the option to "Save as original format" instead.

I know, I'm just stupid. Also, anyone know how to open up Keyboard View in FL Studio? I'm kinda stuck. Yes, it is demo version, cuz I'm poor.

EDIT: Figured this out, I'm just stupid.

But how do I put it in my game?

Last edited:

1UpedAngel

Some guy who's there
Years
You have to convert it using MIDI2SSEQ, than fix it in a Hex Editor. You than open the extracted .sdat in a Hex Editor, find the song you want to replace, get the address, open the .sdat in a Hex Editor, and copy/paste the data, than reinsert the sdat in the game and test it.

So, basically, do this stuff I know I will never be able to do. Great.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I have a question, would this allow it to be possible to use custom midis? Unfortunately I'm not on my rom hacking computer as I type this, so I can't test this out. This interests me because recently I've been doing some HeartGold hacking.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
To my knowledge (and I'm poking a dying thread with a stick) you can't make loop points yet. Other forums have studied this (and I've made a successful Mario DS hack with custom music) and nobody made decent loop points and placed it on the web.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
I read that using 94 XX XX XX (X's represent reverse pointer in hex) will make a loop. I've yet to get it to work.

Well, it's also possible to get WAV files to work with a DS, too (SDATs). In fact, some DS games use a totally different music system, which we've yet to figure out.

I've looked through a hex editor, didn't get it.

Back