• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Sorta Competitive Balanced Team...

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    I don't know where this goes. Please point me in the right direction rather than locking it (do the mods have the power to move threads?) because I worked very hard on this.​

With Gen 6 giving us such fractions of playable teams, balanced is the way for me to go until Poketransfer is up. This is my actual team and has tested out very well. I am more than positive nothing on the team will hit above OU, which is why the thread is labeled as such. Also to attract the "hurr durr 2 early 4 ou" crowd so they can look at the team and give actual help. Here's the process. I will not have it hidden, as there is no way to test the team out yet other than being convinced enough and working to make it in your game yourself.

073.png

Spinner. He goes on a lot of balanced teams. Special wall.
    073.png
    598.png

Physical wall. Nothing to get Spikes onto him though, so we'll have to settle for Stealth Rock. A possible change in the future could be to cut this and replace Florges with Klefki, but we'll see.
    073.png
    598.png
    612.png

Physical powerhouse. I wouldn't play Salamence on this team because it was very hard to find and breed a Hidden Bagon/Shelgon, and Intimidate is very eh.
    073.png
    598.png
    612.png
    637.png

Special powerhouse. Volkie's amazing and he wraps off the fire-water-grass core that any weatherless team needs to survive.
    073.png
    598.png
    612.png
    637.png
    681.png

Guy's pretty cool. I know I'm doubled up on Steel, but he's great. Teams play Ferro/Forretress and Scizor just fine, so this is no different.
    073.png
    598.png
    612.png
    637.png
    681.png
    671-y.png

Not very bad at all. Beats Sylveon in attack and defenses, and is decent in everything except Speed. Could become Mr. Mime, but after testing this seems more solid. This is my first team competitive-wise.

Now for the team breakdown. Be considerate on "hurr durr drop da evees here not dere" because this is a team that you can't just import in and work with. People do actually build teams in their games, so not everything is perfect with 31 IVS. I could really strive for the perfectionist, but there's no point to me seeing as how my perfect Rain, Sun and DragMag teams I worked hard on will be in my hands come December.
    Named "Mushroom Kingdom" because I wanted to have a cool thing to name the team. All the cool guys name them something, so I wanna be the cooliest :cool: I also refer to them as stupid things like "slamma-jamma" because you grow a little attached to digital creatures you spend two days at a time working hard on.

tentacruel_by_tojo_the_thief-d2yarmb.png

Toad (Tentacruel) (M) @Black Sludge
    Careful nature (+SpDef -SpAtk)
    Clear Body

252 HP, 150 SpAtk, 60 SpDef

Scald
    Toxic Spikes
    Rapid Spin
    Ice Beam

Often my leader. Spins away hazards, which is too important when you run guys like Volcarona. Toxic Spikes is great. Scald is for STAB and for the chance for burn. Ice Beam is because I don't have Rain Dish to support the Substitute set. If I'm still interested in this team when Transfer launches, I'll swap this out for my Rain Dish one on White. EV Spread is to round it out, save for Defense seeing as how it won't survive much physically no matter how much you drop into Defense. My IVs apparently drop Tentacruel off at 313 SpDef, so I'm gonna roll with that. It could be better, but it's still good. SpAtk is a smooth 200, about as good as it could get with a minus nature. Didn't wanna pour too much into its SpAtk seeing as how his job on this team is to sponge special hits and gradually damage things. First of the Fire-Water-Grass.

ferrothorn.jpg

Toadette (Ferrothorn) (F) @Rocky Helmet
    Relaxed nature (+Def -Speed)
    Iron Barbs

252 Def, 252 HP, 6 Atk

Stealth Rock
    Gyro Ball
    Power Whip
    Thunder Wave

Physical wall. Rocky Helmet seems kind of derp, but realistically Leftovers are very scarce and you won't find someone willing to give up the only one they can get in the game so easily. On a decent day I'll lead with this. EV Spread is typical. Non-fantasy 31 IVs are nowhere to be found on this set, so his Special defense wasn't going anywhere good no matter how much I threw down into it (did super training, leveled it a bit and was displeased with what I got and refused to spend another 2 hours breeding for gambled IVs) Stealth Rock is because we don't have Cacturne to transfer Spikes, so Graveler transferring Stealth Rock was the best we got. Gyro Ball and Power Whip is STAB, and Thunder Wave is great because this team loses to things that are faster than it. Haxorus and Dragonite are the more popular dragons I've seen, so Outrage hitting Rocky Helm twice is half of their HP down the drain for nothing. I'd play Leftovers if I had another one.

request__volcarona_by_dodgecalliope-d45iaak.png

Peach (Volcarona) (F) @Life Orb
    Hasty nature (+Speed -Def)
    Flame Body

252 SpAtk, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Quiver Dance
    Bug Buzz
    Fiery Dance
    Roost/Hurricane/Psychic(?)

Special powerhouse. This thing is unstoppable. When you catch them on a switch-in (forces Klefki, Ferrothorn and any grass ever right back into their ball) and use a Quiver Dance, it's virtually GG unless they play a Physical water attacker. Bug Buzz and Fiery Dance are the typical STAB, and I like Fiery Dance over Fire Blast because of FB's nerf with this generation, the increasing difficulty of getting PP Up, and the 50% chance to boost SpAtk. Roost is because of the lack of Giga Drain, and I need some sort of longevity on this. After one or two Quiver Dances, Roost is safe once you confirm they have no more rock types (or the rare Flying) Hurricane was an option because I was considering hunting down a Hidden Poliwag to stick it with Goodra on a rain team, and Psychic is an increasing consideration because Stone Edge is apparently the thing to play on Conkeldurr right now. EV spread is so typical that this sentence isn't even needed. Part 1 of "the Slamma-Jamma", Peach is the "slamma."

haxorus_by_sailorclef-d54hvcr.png

Mario (Haxorus) (M) @Draco Plate
    Lonely nature (+Atk -Def)
    Mold Breaker

252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Dragon Dance
    Earthquake
    Outrage
    Brick Break

Physical powerhouse. Mario is the "jamma" to the Slamma-Jamma, because it does what Peach cannot do. Blows through anything that dare stands in its face. I play Dragon Dance over Swords Dance because Real World IVs exist and his speed is not perfect. Earthquake is so obvious. Same with Outrage. Brick Break is preferred to me, because there is no Superpower tutor. I like the possibility of Taunt, although nobody knows where or how to find Skarmory yet so I can only assume you cannot find it and have to use Poketransfer. Lonely is the closest I got to Adamant and after 5 hours and 3 full boxes of Axew I gave up. EV Spread is clear as day.

1380973379594.png

Luigi (Aegislash) (M) @Leftovers
    Adamant nature (+Atk -SpAtk)
    Stance Change

200 HP, 150 SpDef, 100 Def, 56 Atk

Swords Dance
    King's Shield
    Sacred Sword
    Shadow Sneak

Very interesting little guy here. He can gauge the opponent's threats due to coming in in Defensive Form, and then setting up a Swords Dance or two before going off. King's Shield is for Priority defense to switch forms, plus drops the attack of anything dumb enough to hit it with a physical move. Sacred Sword to cover those pesky Dark types that Steel no longer resists, and Shadow Sneak is priority attack to follow up after the boosted Sacred Sword. Leftovers is better than anything else you could really give it, seeing as how it could last you a while. EV spread works perfectly for me. I put more in Special Defense because Fire and Dark is more of a threat than anything Physical. Nothing can OHKO it from a Physical move in Shield form, and anything that tries to Pursuit it usually falls right into King's Shield. The remainder in Attack is to give it the extra little bit to get over things. Nothing invested in Speed because you want to go second as to not leave yourself open to an attack in Blade form.

tumblr_mucaomCjm61qay5emo3_1280.png

Daisy (Florges) (F) @Leftovers
    Calm nature (+SpDef -Atk)
    Flower Veil

252 HP, 200 Def, 56 SpAtk

Calm Mind
    Wish
    Aromatherapy
    Moonblast

Amazing supporter. I feel like it's gonna be highly overlooked, but it does a good job. Unfortunately, its abilities are about as useful as a Pooper Scooper in a hurricane. Overlooking the ability, the utility it provides with my setup for this team is great. EV Spread is to maximize its usefulness. The investment in defense was to bring its piss poor defense up to a decent enough level to pass. HP as always is for long lasting. The investment in Special Attack may seem redundant seeing as how this setup abuses Calm Mind, but it's there for things that you can't afford to try and set up against, mainly named Haxorus/Dragonite/Salamence. Wish is to make sure any attempt to wear and tear this thing is rendered useless, Aromatherapy is to give my team a pat on the back, Moonblast is for STAB and the fact that not a lot of things resist it. Very nice to set up a Calm Mind to force an Outrage looped Banded/Scarfed dragon out and then Blast away whatever isn't Fire or Steel that they switch into. Psychic was an option over Aromatherapy to cover what Moonblast doesn't, because it sucks having to throw away a +3 off of Calm Mind when you're faced with something that Fairy doesn't touch. This could become a Mr. Mime, I'm waiting for a way to simulate battle online or something so I don't bust my hump in-game just yet.

So that about does it! No real "threats" yet, save for Skarmory. As said before, if this is in the wrong place I would appreciate it if you moved it rather than locking. Let me know what you guys think! This is a very solid team to me and once an actual competitive scene launches I believe it will do decently well.​

edit: the "can't just import in" bit was from having this posted on Pokemon Online forums and everyone is a stiff there because they don't play the actual games and don't understand that pokemon is not simply 5 seconds of typing numbers and battling.

Last edited:
    Back